PDA

View Full Version : R12 or R134

FJBen
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I have one of the lucky 93's with R12. The PO said the A/C was working excellent, but when I tried it later, nothing. The compressor won't kick on. All fuses in tact lead me to believe that it's just low on freon.

sooo...It has dye in it...So i put a blacklight looking for leaks...none.I only saw a trace of dye in the site glass. Do I get some freeze 12 and top it off? Or do I convert to R134a via some other means?

nuclearlemon
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
r134a is crap compared to r12, but then i've heard the freeze12 isn't as good either. converting will be pricey if you do it correctly. you have to change drier and valves and flush and change oils at a minimum, often, the compressor also...technically, you should change the lines out also since the r12 lines aren't lined and r134a can leak out of unlined hoses.

FJBen
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
r134a is crap compared to r12, but then i've heard the freeze12 isn't as good either. converting will be pricey if you do it correctly. you have to change drier and valves and flush and change oils at a minimum, often, the compressor also...technically, you should change the lines out also since the r12 lines aren't lined and r134a can leak out of unlined hoses.

sounds like from the 80's section on mud, people replace the dryer and expansion valve with the same part (R12 80 series) and then O-rings, change the oil and put R134a schraders on it. You can put later setup R134a as it doesn't fit. :confused: Then you just put in the R134a and go.

hmm...

powderpig
05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
About 2 years ago, I found a guy selling Agriculture r-12 out of denver. I found him on craig's list. You may try this, the other options did not work well in the 93 we have. The guys sold the tap for the cans as well. I will try and look for the receipt in the next couple of days. It has his businiess name and phone number.

Red_Chili
05-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Robbie, I have heard conflicting things about R12 to R134 in Toyotas. Some say that Toyota used good enough stuff in the later models such that only the O-rings and the driers really need to be changed. After I had NAPA marry my 22RE hoses to the 5VZ ends, I found out that I could have used hoses and a compressor top (bolts right to the 5VZ compressor) from an 88-95 3VZE truck or Runner... What say you?

As for me, somewhere in my system I am losing R134. Can't find it even with dye. I replaced the compressor because the old one had a leak, but it is still going somewhere. ???
(compressor out of the 1996 donor 4Runner, the rest of the system stock 1987 4Runner, plus custom married hoses).

rover67
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I ran r-134 in my 60 with nothing swapped but the fittings for a while with no problems.. all I did was screw on the conversion adapters for the 134a hoses and fill it. didn't even vaccume it down. It cooled very well in the hot Memphis summers. Truck before that was a suburban, did the same thing and multiple cans of 134a later (rear air) it cooled great. Before that was an old acura integra that I did the same thing to. I even added r-134a on top of the r-12 in that car...

I have done it like this for a while now, but I guess I have not kept any of them for more than two or three years... so i don't know about the long term..

FJBen
05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Cool, thanks robbie!

I know that a lot of people just use the parts store R134a conversion kits. Basically changing the fittings, pulling out the R12 and then adding R134a.

hmmm...