PDA

View Full Version : Chrome removal

wesintl
05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I need a few pieces de chromed. Anyone have a reputable place south side that plates? It's my understanding the same process to get ready to plate is the best to remove chrome. If that's not the case let me know. I'm not going to buy Muriatic acid or diy.

Shark Bait
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I need a few pieces de chromed. Anyone have a reputable place south side that plates? It's my understanding the same process to get ready to plate is the best to remove chrome. If that's not the case let me know. I'm not going to buy Muriatic acid or diy.

Can you sand blast it off? Blast Tech up in Englewood would do it.

wesintl
05-30-2008, 10:22 PM
It'd be a pita to blast. Dipping would probably be best. I might even have the bezel rechromed depending on the $. The chrome is peeling in a couple spots and is rough.

treerootCO
05-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Bleach removes chrome from plastic, never tried it on metal though.

Uncle Ben
05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Bleach removes chrome from plastic, never tried it on metal though.

Easy Off oven cleaner will strip chrome and anodized color from metal quite well!

60wag
05-31-2008, 05:38 PM
You might call Dener Metal Finishing to find out how they remove chrome. It likely invloves a soak in some bath that you don't wan't to have to dispose of at home. As for sand blasting..... I thought the chrome, (at least Toyota quality chrome) was pretty tough stuff and blasting media would barley touch it.

treerootCO
05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
They say oven cleaner works really well on pin stripes as well but I don't have the balls to try that.