PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of Top of the World?

subzali
06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Not in Moab...:rolleyes:

No, this one is to the southeast of Pine, or between Buffalo Creek and the S. Platte River from the sounds of it...any of you old-timers know about this trail system and whether it's still open?

On another (but similar note) - anybody been up in the Experimental Forest area by Fraser? I hear there's lots and lots of roads up in there, not sure how many are considered to be 4wd trails...

MDH33
06-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Haven't heard of Top of the World, but I have been up in the Fraser Experimental Forest backpacking. There's a great trail up there ~ 7miles that goes to a lake at treeline with several amazing campsites. Can't recall the name of the trail. There were several bike trails in the area, but didn't seem like anything for wheeling.

DaveInDenver
06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Just east of highway 126, opposite of the Little Scraggy parking lot on FS550?

Red_Chili
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Back in the day, Top of the World included a section that started at the Platte River (South Platte Hotel historic building) and went up the hill, then looped back down and rejoined the rest of the Rampart Motorcycle Trail System.

It is closed now of course. :( Part of the Colorado Trail I believe, last I heard.

subzali
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Good memory Dave!

The part that started at the Platte River - was there a bridge to cross at that point that's now closed?

Well indeed if there's a possibility of getting it reopened that would be schaweet! :thumb:

Red_Chili
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I doubt that part will be reopened to motorized use. There was a bridge crossing the river. No idea if it is still there, but I bet it is.

IVANII
06-09-2008, 11:38 PM
oh man that brings back memories-we used to go wheeling and camping up there way back in High School. Wasn't that included in the burn area up there past Buffalo Creek?

DaveInDenver
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
oh man that brings back memories-we used to go wheeling and camping up there way back in High School. Wasn't that included in the burn area up there past Buffalo Creek?
Yes, I believe that did burn during the 1996 fire and I think that was when the campground was closed.