PDA

View Full Version : Summer Runs

AxleIke
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Something we were talking about this morning at NSTBC.

This observation is just as a novice member, so please excuse me if I'm way off base.

It seemed to me that our club was more of a "event" club, meaning that most people liked to get out and wheel at the bigger events, like Cruise Moab, Fathers Day run, snow run, etc...

I've noticed that many times, when spontaneous runs are posted, there aren't a lot of takers.

However, In talking this morning, it was mentioned that perhaps the reason was just that no one was posting runs, and not that there was no interest in them.

I guess the purpose of my post is to see how many here are interested in wheeling 2 or 3 weekends a month? Would people like to see runs posted up like "Hey, going to middle st vrain sat", or "going to moody/crystal" etc.., essentially trail runs with no real structure, and the leader being whomever shows up that knows the trail the best.

I'm happy to be posting up since I usually go out a bunch, and you'd get to meet other toyota guys. I just never have since it's seemed like most only had time for the big events, and more structure was needed.

Anyway, this is in chat since its just idle talk, and I don't want to offend anyone, so please no one take it the wrong way.

CardinalFJ60
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I would LOVE to go out 2-3 times a month...but just can't with all the life-stuff going on. Lately the more formal, scheduled runs are on weekends I simply cannot make it.

I don't have as good a knowledge of the close-in wheeling areas as I'd like, so I hesitate from going to unknown places for fear they will be waaay too difficult or too lame. At this point, I need to log more hours behind the wheel, and more importantly behind other folks who know where they're going and what they're doing.

If you (or others) post up impromptu runs, it would give a 'part-timer' like me more opportunities to get out with fellow enthusiasts. I know I'm passing the buck for others to set up runs...at this point, I think I'm at the Tag-along stage...(mmmm Girl Scout cookies...)

Personally,I'd also really like to participate in some driving "clinics" put on by our seasoned club members, with a fairly small group...picking lines, off-camber techniques, mud/sand/snow/rock techniques, driving tactics with open diffs vs. locked diffs, etc. For me, that confidence and safety would go a long way.

-S

Uncle Ben
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I wheel whenever possible! Granted my time is much more limited than it used to be. I have no doubt more folks would go out and play if they just got a nudge. All you need for a great trail ride is two vehicles so post stuff up and hopefully at least one other person is game for adventure! It was a norm in the not so distant past that we always went on a run the weekend after the meeting.

subzali
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Long before I joined the club, and since, every time I go out I post up seeing if others want to go. That's what I was told to do early on and that's what I continue to do and encourage others to do. Usually I'm kinda bummed if someone posts up a trip report saying, I went and did this and this today, and I'm like, why didn't you post up beforehand - I would have liked to see that!

Last year I did a lot of wheeling and this year I already have 11 days under my belt - already 2x the number of times I went skiing last winter, and if I had 11 days of climbing/mountaineering I keep thinking how much better I would be, so this summer I'm going to try and focus more on that stuff, plus it's cheaper to drive the red truck to a trailhead than take the Cruiser on a 4x4 trail :)

But if someone posts up that they're going to do something then I always consider whether I want in and then see what my schedule looks like, so I'd say go for it! :thumb:

CardinalFJ60
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I wheel whenever possible! Granted my time is much more limited than it used to be. I have no doubt more folks would go out and play if they just got a nudge. All you need for a great trail ride is two vehicles so post stuff up and hopefully at least one other person is game for adventure! It was a norm in the not so distant past that we always went on a run the weekend after the meeting.

Yeah...I'm one of them...just need a little nudge. :cheers:

Red_Chili
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Good idea, Isaac!

I was a little concerned when I saw the thread title. Thought you might be an early adopter of the latest viral affliction to make the rounds.

:lmao:

MDH33
06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Good topic. (except the viral discomfit part :eek:;))

I think a lot of folks just have Uber-busy summer schedules, and planning around the "big" events helps ensure some wheeling between everything else happening. I know I sure feel that every weekend is filled lately.

Another thought is that some people like to avoid having huge groups on runs, and when you post up that you're going on a run there's a chance that 30 rigs will show up and turn a 3 hour trail ride into an all day affair.

I'm always up for some exploring and I hope to get out a few more days this year for wheeling, camping, hiking, biking. :thumb:

Hulk
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
That's an interesting observation. We do have a lot of runs that have become "traditions."

New Year's Day Run
Snow & Pizza Run
Wheel Bearing Packing Party
Cruise Moab
Father's Day Run
Blow Off Work And Go Wheelin' Run
Ghost Town Run
40s Only Run
Adopted Trail cleanup & maintenance: Argentine Pass
Adopted Trail cleanup & maintenance: Jenny Creek
Rising Sun Rally + Runs
Triple Bypass
Ouray weekend
Spooky Night Run
Holiday Party

That's 15 "events" right there. For a club that used to do one run a month, we've already exceeded this commitment with the annual events.

As for more spontaneous runs: I bet if you looked at last year's summer event planning section, you would find that someone was going wheeling every weekend, and many Tuesdays too.

This June is a little different than normal because so many of us are planning a week on the Rubicon Trail (yep, another event).

Ike, I'm not offended at all -- I think this is a really interesting observation. You should feel free to post up anytime you're going wheeling and are willing to invite a few more folks. The converse is true as well: you should never feel obligated to post up here and invite folks if you want to keep it small.

Eventually, we'll have so many traditions and annual runs in the club that we'll never have time for anything new!

MDH33
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
That's an interesting observation. We do have a lot of runs that have become "traditions."

New Year's Day Run
Snow & Pizza Run
Wheel Bearing Packing Party
Cruise Moab
Father's Day Run
Blow Off Work And Go Wheelin' Run
Ghost Town Run
40s Only Run
Adopted Trail cleanup & maintenance: Argentine Pass
Adopted Trail cleanup & maintenance: Jenny Creek
Rising Sun Rally + Runs
Triple Bypass
Ouray weekend
Spooky Night Run
Holiday Party

plus:

Outlaws Run :cool:

AxleIke
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Good points all!

I'll be posting stuff up!

DaveInDenver
06-07-2008, 08:10 AM
so this summer I'm going to try and focus more on that stuff, plus it's cheaper to drive the red truck to a trailhead than take the Cruiser on a 4x4 trail
I spied a familiar 2WD truck in the Mt Falcon parking lot last night... If you wondered, that was in fact the White Wonder Truck. I stuck around for a little while, but I was spent and had to go home. We did the Mt Falcon east lot -> Pence Park -> O'Fallon Park -> Bear Creek Trail -> Morrison loop last night (minimal stops, 2 hours 20 minutes!) and I was absolutely dead last night.

We got a late start because I was witness to a roll over. A dude right in front of me took the northbound C470 to southbound 285 exit far too fast, started to lose it, slammed on his brake and it was done... his extended cab Ram went over once. It was a dad and his two sons, no serious injuries, everyone walked away. The dad had a decent cut on his head and the older boy in the shotgun seat had a stiff back and neck. I was right behind him and saw the whole thing shape up. I got over on the shoulder and by the time I walked over they were all trying to get out of the truck. I told them to stay put but they were much too excited and shocked to listen to me, so I just called 911. By then there was another guy who was exiting behind me, a motorcyclist and a commuter on the C470 onramp who'd all stopped. Restored my faith in people a little to be honest. If you saw channel 7 news at 5PM, we may have been on there. At least their helo was hovering over.

lfd270ben
06-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hijack a little but I work on the weekends at night But during the week days and afternoons I am free to wheel locally if anyone ever wants to do a week day trip I am down just pm me. I have only wheeled my 40 about a half dozen times ( because I'm always building it:eek::confused::rolleyes:)and would like to get more familiar with wheeling it. Im just a little unsure about getting stuck and need to go with another rig.

Squishy!
06-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Here's a run I'm planning

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=76432#post76432

Red_Chili
06-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Uh... check the upcoming runs (not in the trip reports section).
You not running Spring Creek with me on Father's Day?

subzali
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Dave, I saw your truck and intentionally parked next to it. I started hiking up the main trail hoping I would catch you on your way down, but when I got to a good vantage point I looked and saw your truck was gone, so I figured you must have done the Lair o' the Bear loop. Oh well, next time maybe. Or next time maybe I'll be riding with you, get off my lazy butt :)

The Wonder Truck looks good (tall, armored, etc.), what's stopping you from going on the Rubicon with it? :confused: (I know you posted in the other thread, so you don't have to explain here)

Uncle Ben
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
The Wonder Truck looks good (tall, armored, etc.), what's stopping you from going on the Rubicon with it? :confused: (I know you posted in the other thread, so you don't have to explain here)

Thats a question you never answered so it's bad form to ask others! ;) :rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Thats a question you never answered so it's bad form to ask others!
Hey, yeah, I got my junk done enough and am going. Why exactly aren't you going Subazli?

subzali
06-09-2008, 10:22 AM
If you're REALLY that interested, I posted in the other thread. I was just pokin' fun at ya Dave, but either way the truck was looking mighty fine!

[/hijack]

DaveInDenver
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
If you're REALLY that interested, I posted in the other thread. I was just pokin' fun at ya Dave, but either way the truck was looking mighty fine!
I lose track of threads, I seem to remember you had a sorta valid excuse. :-P

Uncle Ben
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I lose track of threads, I seem to remember you had a sorta valid excuse. :-P

I had to snoop but I found it. Radar tried to sneak it in on an old thread....sneaky little dude....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=72937&postcount=22

rover67
06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Yep, good points. I went up and did some weird roads around magnolia road (FR 105??)near nederland, camped then drove up towards rollins pass and a little bit of jenny creek till snow stopped us. We ended up on some unmarked side road near FR105 (that allowed vehicles) that got pretty gnarly in spots. ended up doing most of the stuff near rollins pass with a guy in a jeep that was there and had a winch. probably would have been more polite to post up and see if a RS'er wanted to come along.. would have been nice to have somebody else that knew the area.