PDA

View Full Version : Need your help

Viking
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello I am finally going to the Toyota side. :) I sold my Jeep and I am in need of your help. I am looking at a lot of different trucks and I have no idea where to go. First I am looking for a truck that is great on road and off road. I have a family with 2 kids and a dog so I need something kind of big. When going off road I would love to be able to do trails like Holly Cross, Golden Spike trails like that. A short list of the trucks that I am looking at. I am trying to spend under $15,000.
1991-2000
Land Cruiser

2003-2004
4runner

FJ Cruiser
Need more money but I like this truck a lot

Any other advice or ideas would help a lot.

treerootCO
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
My vote is for the 1995-97 Land Cruiser

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Hulk
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Treeroot speaks wisely. If you're going for the 80 series Land Cruiser, any truck from 1993-97 will do you right. Don't buy without the front and rear lockers if you intend to wheel it.

The 98+ Land Cruisers will get you a bit more room, more power (V8), but you lose the solid front axle and the lockers. Still worth considering.

You're probably not going to find an FJ Cruiser for under $15K. It's too new yet.

The 3rd gen 4Runners seems like a great choice too.

corsair23
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Buy the "Blueberry" from Christo at Slee :D :thumb: (I think it is still for sale :dunno:)

Plenty big for the family, power of the 100 series, but with a solid axle.

Otherwise I agree with Mike and Matt...A later model 80 series (or LX450 so you can ride in style :)) or 4 Runner.

As for the FJ Cruiser...I like the FJC but personally I don't think it is the best choice for a person with children. The rear "door" issue and the non-rolling down rear windows is a deal breaker for me as my kids love to wheel with the windows down.

For $15K you should be able to pick up a low mile locked 80 and put quite a few mods on it, and stay near that budget. If you can, try to come up to the July meeting and check out the member's rig to see what seems to fit what you are looking for.

Jacket
06-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Double cab Tacoma? Best wheeler in the lot you listed :cool:

Seriously - what are you expectations in terms of overall mileage, efficiency (mpg), factory locker(s) versus aftermarket, etc. I'm sure you realize you won't get an unbiased opinion, right?

I agree with Hulk about 3rd gen 4Runners - to me, a better choice than a 4th gen.

Corbet
06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
98 & 99 Land Cruisers had an available rear locker as a factory option if you looking for the extra space of a 100 series.

But my vote is like Mike's 95-97 Land Cruiser 93,94 good too.

With the kids and dog I think you'll like the extra size over a 4 runner.

FYI, I have a 96 LX450 on my lot with lockers. I just bumped it for you in the for sale section.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5998

RockRunner
06-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Fj Cruisers are very nice and capable we have one and love it but.............with your family you will have to pack everything on the roof. The backseat is fine for the kids till they are teens. The back is good for one to two dogs but not much more. We have two Golden's at about 100#'s each, they fill the back. We don't take them on trips longer than 45 minutes in the FJ because it is not fair to them.;)

My vote is for the LC 91 till ??? Just get the lockers already and you are 2-3 grand ahead. I am sure others that own one will tell you the good and bad. If I could justify a third truck sitting there most of the time for $10K or more we would have one instead of the 4Runner............OK the top does not come off either:(, only on a 4Runner :D and very important to us.

Test drive some and bring the whole family, we did and it worked great for us. The FJC that is ;) Good Luck.

Squishy!
06-07-2008, 12:49 PM
My vote is for a red 1999 4Runner with a factory rear locker, automatic, bone stock 110,000 miles, rebuilts heads and new timing belt junk. Wait I have one just like that for sale! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, good truck with a V-6 (See Jaderunner's profile for a NICE green one)