PDA

View Full Version : roof rack loading considerations...

nakman
06-07-2008, 03:57 PM
So what rules of thumb do you guys follow? I'm thinking it's more important to put the heaviest stuff forward, rather than try to make the load more aerodynamic.. hence I've positioned the gas/water cans in front.

Getting ready for Rubithon, obviously.. the green gas cans will be empty until most likely Reno. The blue water cans will be empty the whole time, until Rubicon Springs when we'll all use them to get river water and then use for our showers.

You guys think this will fly, or too ghetto?

MDH33
06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Most times I've seen jerry cans on a rack, they are laying down with the spout upwards. A little less top-heavy that way and as long as they aren't over-filed and the seals are good, shouldn't leak.

like this:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/african_outback/ao_jerrycan.jpg

Inukshuk
06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Tim - I highly recommend those mini-caribiners into the mesh on that rack. Tested by me on the Outlaws run. Worked great and easy to relocate. I think that angle iron will cut into your cans (metal or plastic) over time. If you do not have straps pulling vertically down the cans will move. Been there, done that, with this rack (yours!). Also, use all six gutter mounts....

Uncle Ben
06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Most times I've seen jerry cans on a rack, they are laying down with the spout upwards. A little less top-heavy that way and as long as they aren't over-filed and the seals are good, shouldn't leak.

like this:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/african_outback/ao_jerrycan.jpg

Nato cans (like pictured) don't leak!

Hulk
06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
My understanding was an 80 with a full tank didn't need extra fuel. Why the 2 cans?

nakman
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Just to be prepared, can't say what kind of waiting/recovery/OBA situation I may get wrapped up in, plus with a couple days to kill there may be a need to play a little bit. And maybe someone else will need the gas.

Daniel I'm using those little caribiner doo-dads, they were just in the shadow above maybe you didn't see them. Ok new config now, put the water in the middle and the gas cans on the outside.