PDA

View Full Version : Cure for an 80 sized belly ache....

Uncle Ben
06-10-2008, 09:08 AM
There's gonna be a new plate in town......well there will be if the rocks of Rubicon lose! This is a proto-type and 1 of 2 being tested. I will do my best to trash it! ;)

Here is a before Rubicon picture and also for reference the IPOR beast.... (The IPOR appears to have more clearance but the new Slee prototype actually hugs the t-case about 3/4" closer and the SP also "seems" lighter.....) I love the FJ-40 retro look! :cool:

Red_Chili
06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Is there a vertical component to the design? To resist the twist?

waggoner5
06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Make sure and test it good. My 45 needs a girdle.

DaveInDenver
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
So IPOR is the second one and the prototype Slee is the top photo?

What twist are you thinking about, Bill? The drive line twisting the cross member? Slee's looks like a Budbuilt on steroids and IPOR's looks like it's a 1/2" thick hunk of iron.

Uncle Ben
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Is there a vertical component to the design? To resist the twist?

What you can't see is a "L channel" cross member welded into the plate. This belly plate replaces the stock 80 cross member just like the IPOR skid does.

Here is the stock cross member and the currantly available Slee skid plate....

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/skid2.jpg

Uncle Ben
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
So IPOR is the second one and the prototype Slee is the top photo?

What twist are you thinking about, Bill? The drive line twisting the cross member? Slee's looks like a Budbuilt on steroids.

Correct!

This is a Cruiser not a "Dark Side" "twisted" mini! :eek::lmao::lmao: ;) Also, the IPOR is 3/8" thick with 1/4" strap spacers at the frame mounting points.

DaveInDenver
06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Correct! This is a Cruiser not a "Dark Side" "twisted" mini! :eek::lmao::lmao: ;)
That was my thinking. Bud's cross member for mini trucks is just formed 3/8" steel, no additional reinforcement. Seem to do OK for most 'normal' users, even with Ultimates. Bud's skids usually deform eventually, but they are either 0.120" or 3/16" and really take the beating.

Red_Chili
06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Correct!

This is a Cruiser not a "Dark Side" "twisted" mini! :eek::lmao::lmao: ;) Also, the IPOR is 3/8" thick with 1/4" strap spacers at the frame mounting points.
Oh, I thought cruisers had lots of torque and therefore a fair amount of driveline twist. My mistake.

:lmao:
But seriously, if they use the stock rubber mounts that would explain it. Bud uses those, right Dave?
Mine is rigid to the Tcase, then urethane mounts outboard where it attaches to the frame. Not just minimal twist, it immobilizes the driveline and therefore saves the motor mounts. Yet no vibration. FRORF is pretty innovative. Admittedly not as much bottom protection as a Budbuilt or IPOR, but the mini transfer case is extremely tough and just needs a glide plate.
I guess cruisers are a bit more delicate, the extra protection makes sense.

:bolt:

DaveInDenver
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
But seriously, if they use the stock rubber mounts that would explain it. Bud uses those, right Dave?
Yes, standard stock rubber transfer case mount. If you have dual cases, then one on each of the cases.

sleeoffroad
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
The skidplate is a boxed section where the transfercase mount, not a single plate. It will have internal ribs on the production models.

Red_Chili
06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
All kidding aside, it sounds quite robust.

AxleIke
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh, I thought cruisers had lots of torque and therefore a fair amount of driveline twist. My mistake.

:lmao:
Mine is rigid to the Tcase, then urethane mounts outboard where it attaches to the frame. Not just minimal twist, it immobilizes the driveline and therefore saves the motor mounts. Yet no vibration. FRORF is pretty innovative. Admittedly not as much bottom protection as a Budbuilt or IPOR, but the mini transfer case is extremely tough and just needs a glide plate.
I guess cruisers are a bit more delicate, the extra protection makes sense.

:bolt:

HIJACK!!!

Bill, I have been very dissapointed with my budbuilt clearance. I have been looking at the FROR stuff, but have been very concerned with how the skid takes load in that set up.

Being that I am low, I take a LOT of very hard hits there. Do you think that set up is robust enough for that? To me, it looks like its meant for SAS guys who just need a very little protection when sliding over stuff, not coming down full force dropping off of ledges and the like.

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack UB. I wish I had a crossmember like yours, but then I'd have to buy a cruiser :D

DaveInDenver
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Bud's cross member just maximizes clearance in a stock set-up. There's not much to be gained beyond what he does in this configuration. When you go to a FROR configuration, you lose the transmission isolator and the transfer case takes more of the shock. It's a strong case, but it's still a cast aluminum housing and with enough impacts it will eventually fracture.

IMO I think a truck set up like ours is better served by doing a drivetrain lift and keeping the stock style rear mount, just moved 2" up into the frame rails. Just me, I'd rather have the steel taking the punishment and transmit the energy to the frame, then isolate the important stuff to reduce the shock it sees. It's not a matter of avoiding banging, rubbing and scraping, that's gonna happen no matter what. I'm assuming all these new skids and sliders are wear items and get R&R when they bend and grind up enough. Until you go SAS and run 35" tires, the frame rails are only so far from the deck and there's not much that can be done to avoid the reality.

Think you got problems at 103" of wheelbase, try 122"! Seems to me that you have to decide what direction to go with the truck. If you are hanging up and dragging a lot, then maybe a SAS and going down the more dedicated rig route makes sense. There's being that pigheaded guy who 'wheels IFS just to show 'em and there's being reasonable. I have no interest in doing an SAS for my own reasons, but I'm also not fooling myself, the Rubicon isn't gonna be done cleanly or smoothly. And it's really the major exception to the primary purpose of my truck.

AxleIke
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Good points Dave.

I have been giving a lot of thought to SASing.

I just like wheeling the IFS. Its challenging, even with 2 lockers and 2 transfercases. I still get hung up, and its fun to have to pick lines to get up stuff, rather than just point and shoot.

However, you have a good point, that wheeling IFS does have its limits, and its not like I'm proving anything by doing that.

I've been looking at running 3" of spring on a SAS, getting a hydro set up, cromo guts, and 33's or 35s. Problem is, thats expensive. Quite expensive. So, its tough to decide.

I think you're right about the transfercase taking too much abuse with the FROR set up. I'd rather get stuck and be able to slide off than stuck with a broken tranny/tcase.

Rezarf
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I dig it, it will fun to see the score Kevin vs. The Rubicon... can't wait for the dust to settle.

:thumb:

Great looking protection Christo!

Hulk
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Cool skid plate! Looks like it provides ultimate protection.

I still have my IPOR, so we can see which one gets more abused at Rubithon.

Uncle Ben
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Cool skid plate! Looks like it provides ultimate protection.

I still have my IPOR, so we can see which one gets more abused at Rubithon.

That will be a good comparo! I liked the IPOR! The things I don't like (on the IPOR) are the exposed t-case and frame bolts. I was and may still make a center skid to cover the t-case studs and provide a little more gusset for the T-case skid section but I really like the way the IPOR fits! This plate (SP) is really cool and I am eager to see how it holds up.