PDA

View Full Version : LX 450 and Lockers

Viking
06-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I was told that all LX 450 have lockers is this true?

nakman
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
In the doors, yes. But not in the diffs..

Corbet
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I think all LX450's have the wiring harness or something like that if you were to add factory lockers. In other words its a little less work to add them to a LX than a LC.

But no not all of them were equipped with lockers.

Romer
06-11-2008, 09:26 AM
The lockers are an option on the LX450 just like the 80 series Land Cruiser

corsair23
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I've always wondered whether you are more, or less, likely to find a LX450 with lockers when compared to a FZJ80? I know I've read somewhere that the estimate is only 8% of all the 80 series rigs were optioned with the OEM lockers. I don't know if this is true and a quick Google searched didn't turn up anything.

I have two schools of thought here...IMO your typical Lexus owner would not be the type to opt for "lockers" in a vehicle as they are not the likely type to take their vehicle off road (thinking in general here). However, IMO your typical Lexus owner is the type of person to fully option a vehicle just because, whether they need, want, or even know what the option they are paying for is. Maybe this is bad stereotyping by me :hill:

Anyway, given the first school of thought then there should be very few LX450s optioned with lockers. Given the second school of thought then the majority of LX450s should have lockers...

Anyone ever see any hard data on this?

Oh, and Viking...the LX450 was only available in '96 & '97. So, when you think about it, finding a locked LX450 should be even more difficult given the short run. Honestly, IMO the 80 series in general are fairly rare because they had a relatively short run when compared to the other models :D, and IIRC they weren't produced in near the numbers either. I guess back in the 90's paying $45K-$55K for a SUV was a considered lot of money :rolleyes:

Jenny Cruiser
06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
The only thing I've heard is that all Canadian LX450s came with lockers. Heard that on mud.:)

Tch2fly
06-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I have two schools of thought here...IMO your typical Lexus owner would not be the type to opt for "lockers" in a vehicle as they are not the likely type to take their vehicle off road (thinking in general here). However, IMO your typical Lexus owner is the type of person to fully option a vehicle just because, whether they need, want, or even know what the option they are paying for is. Maybe this is bad stereotyping by me :hill:

Anyway, given the first school of thought then there should be very few LX450s optioned with lockers. Given the second school of thought then the majority of LX450s should have lockers...

Anyone ever see any hard data on this?

Unlike vehicles built in the US years ago, you can't "order" something from Toyota. Sure, the dealer will take your "order" and then ask the regional sales rep to try to send a matching vehicle their way but if nothing gets imported that matches .. you would be SOL.

Two (really three I guess) type of options were available back then ... Factory installed and Port installed (dealer installed is the other). Lockers would have been a factory install and not really subject to whims of the buyer ('ya get what ya get Mr. So and So ") so it comes down to profit for the factory. If adding them makes more profit (from the actual price increase or more units sold) Mr T is going to do it.

I'm of the ... do it to add more $$ to price tag ... school because those buyers tended to brag about how much they spent.

As to the % of LX vs FZJ that have them who knows:confused:

nakman
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Wait, you didn't order your Prius?

Tch2fly
06-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Wait, you didn't order your Prius?

Nope :D I know people ;)