PDA

View Full Version : flyfishing with the rising sun?

Beater
06-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Ideally, this would involve a really cool trail, but I am not really aware of any wheeling with decent fishing.

However, I am aware of some really good fishing spots, in fact, you can fish the stream on the way up to jenny creek.

I would prefer to have the emphasis on stream/river fishing rather than a lake trip. Maybe a trip down to eleven mile for an overnight? I would be happy to assist with some lessons for those that are willing. I am no orvis guide or anything like that, but I can catch fish.

An alternative could be a hike in, fish, hike out, as I know of a few of those spots as well.

Let's fire it up!

j

theboomboom
06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm down 100%, so is my old man. Jenny creek sounds interesting, a wheeling/fishing combo would make for a helluva day. Let's get something put together!

art hog
06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I would be interested in that. don't have any equipment, but I would like to give it a try. I see some of the cheep kits at some of the sporting good stores would they be a waste of $ for a virgin?

Beater
06-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I would be interested in that. don't have any equipment, but I would like to give it a try. I see some of the cheep kits at some of the sporting good stores would they be a waste of $ for a virgin?

no, you don't need a 400 rod/reel combo to have fun and catch fish. You can get a 50.00 walmart/kmart combo, but the real money will be in the fly's.

you will need about 20 or so to get started.

rover67
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
i'd be up for whatever. camping, hiking, wheeling, anything to fish. just lemme know.

subzali
06-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm itching to get my fly rod out again and do some fishing! What about Wheeler Lake (I know you said rivers preferred...)?

jjhancock
06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm in. Assuming I'm in town, I'm also itching to get a wheelin and camping trip in. I would do a lake trip as well, but river/stream is good with me too.

Mendocino
06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I would love to do this; infact this has been "on the list" for a long time.:thumb:

Beater
06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
The problem is finding stream/wheeling combo. The closest to hitting on all cylinders is Jenny creek. Boulder creek is fishable from rollinsville to the "new" tunnel, then we can camp up on Jenny Creek. We won't find any keepers for dinner (not that I do that much anyway) but yankee doodle lake is stocked up at the top.

for pure fishing, you can't beat the poudre or eleven mile canyon, but there is no "wheeling" close by

North supply creek has fish in it, but is REAL tough to fish.

Tarryall creek is a fun hike in from what I am told, but I've never done it.

Red_Chili
06-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Check with Angler's Covey in the Springs. Talk to Dave. Very old and good friend of mine. Knows all the spots - including those near 4x4 routes.

theboomboom
06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
eleven mile is a great fishing spot, and cheeseman canyon would make for a decent hiking/fishing trip.

RockRunner
06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I would love to get into fishing/fly fishing again. After my surgery my doctor has classified me as an invalid, fricking idiot! Once I am healed some more I plan on taking up some fly fishing right by the house. I drive over Waterton (canyon) everyday and plan on taking advantage of that once again.

As for wheeling and fishing, what about the river area between Sante Fe and 285, up a ways. I can't remember the the name of it but we used to hang out there all the time during the weekends after school. I will come up with a name in a few a and list it.

john, I can cast and find fish but can not figure out for the live of me what fly to use. Maybe a "class" before we head up would be a good idea. As a matter of fact I am going to buy a new outfit this week so I have something to look forward pushing my recovery.....................it sucks!!!!!!!!

Red_Chili
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
After my surgery my doctor has classified me as an invalid, fricking idiot!
I think you are extremely valid! What a maroon...

RockRunner
06-19-2008, 08:13 PM
John, I just went out and bought a new fly fishing outfit. It gives me something to look forward to while I recover. I hope to be able to get some time in in about 6 weeks or so. I should be able to stand on the shore line and land a fly somewhere near a fish or two.

If you plan a trip please let me know I may be able to join you guys if somebody can give me a ride. I don't think I should be wheeling myself right now:(..................wow that sounded responsible and grown up..:eek:..............something definitely wrong. I think the surgeon rewired me :rolleyes:

Beater
06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
no, he didn't rewire you, you he just gave you a big dose of reality...

j

Jenny Cruiser
06-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Sounds like a great idea. What date do you have in mind?

Beater
06-20-2008, 07:48 AM
well unless we are talking about tailwater, it's still a little high. I am going to go to bear creek this weekend (outside of idledale/morrison) this weekend.

I am going to check with red_chilli's buddy and see where he knows for driving trails. How's this? I had no idea that the hackett area got so close to the platte.. WHO KNEW?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/fishing/streams/stream05.shtml

jhttp://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/fishing/streams/stream05_map.jpg

subzali
06-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Oh yeah, we could do Metberry Gulch (since it's the only one open right now) and it goes right down to a turnaround at the Platte. :thumb:

RockRunner
06-21-2008, 11:41 AM
no, he didn't rewire you, you he just gave you a big dose of reality...

j

Well to quote Robin Williams " Reality Sucks"

I will slow down some but I will never give up or change. A suspension seat may be in the future.............anybody know of the best one out there??

RockRunner
06-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Just remembered the name of the are we used to go , Deckers. Good fishing, camping and soem wheeling.

Beater
06-22-2008, 10:00 PM
deckers is always packed.. update soon!

Beater
06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
ok - soooo it looks like metberry is good. I am thinking about this weekend. It's my birthday weekend as well.

I have never run the trail, so can we get someone to step up to lead?

Here are the options as I see it.

camp/fish eleven mile canyon, to heck with wheeling

camp/fish metberry, and see the burn area

I would like to leave Denver around 7am, that way we could fish the last of the morning rise (maybe) fish that night, fish again in the morning, and head out around noon-two

Thoughts?

subzali
06-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Dude, this weekend is a little short notice for me, especially with the Argentine Trail cleanup on Sunday. Either option sounds good to me, I don't know if you need permitting or anything to camp in Metberry. Might ask the CLC guys, maybe some of them would want to go to? I'll go start a thread on their forum...

EDIT: Here's the thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/227786-flyfishing-trip-rising-sun.html)

EDIT again: I just looked at the Calendar, and the weekend of July 12-13 is open as of now, so that might be a good weekend to shoot for!

Beater
06-23-2008, 10:53 PM
well - I know it's the clean up weekend, but I try and fish every year for my b-day.

Who can be in for this weekend at metberry? If we can get 3-4 people, we'll head out. If not, I will just go to elevenmile canyon, and fish my self stupid...

Tentative plan. Leave REAL early saturday morning. (meet in castlerock to depart at 8am sharp) head to divide, run trail, find camping/parking

fish eat sleep, repeat.

I have never fished this north (from the south) on the platte, I usually stop at lake george. I hear it's not eroded, but not un-fishable.

From what I hear, the caddis flurry is about over. Baetis and duns are coming on, with stonefly's (yellows) around once and awhile.

If you don't know what those are, bring parachute adams, royal wolfes, intimidators and the like. size 16 to 12

maybe a hopper or two.

WHO's IN?

Beater
06-24-2008, 10:51 PM
ok - we will reschedule for the weekend of july 12!

subzali
06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I'll try to be in. :thumb:

RockRunner
06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Doc still has to clear me to do anything but walk. As soon as he says I can move my body I am in for something. I will be practicing at Waterton as soon as I get the go ahead but will want to venture out and learn from all the masters what little pieces of cloth I need to tie on my line to catch the lunkers......;-)