PDA

View Full Version : When the Doctor isn't smilling after surgery

RockRunner
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I made it out of surgery with no side affects!! The Doctor on the other hand is going to be charging me for another hour of labor. In his words " that was the biggest piece of disc I have ever pulled out, not to mention all the other little parts"

First I need to say thanks to all of you who kept me in your minds and or prayers, I appreciate as does my family.

I am home now on some severe pain meds that allow me about to hours of clear thought time and then I am in la la land. Sort of nice but actually really sucks. I have six weeks of ding nothing and then 6 weeks of PT. I plan on doing what the doc says for the first six weeks and once PT starts I am going to push it to the max. I don't want to give him the chance to say you can't do this because you aren't strong enough.

They took out aprox. 60% of the disc so I have very little cushion left, this of course has changed the way I am going to live my my life, maybe.

I am not ready to give up live as I know it right now but I need to think of my wife and her future so.......................time will tell.

Thanks again to all we appreciated all the prayers thoughts and well wishes,

Red_Chili
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Scary stuff, glad it went well. :thumb:

Beater
06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
"this too shall pass" comes to mind as well as "without suffering, there would be no joy"

this will turn out for the best in the long run, I am sure

Corbet
06-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Glad it went well too. :)

MDH33
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly Tom.

Did they fuse the vertebrae on either side of the removed disk or use an implant? Just curious.

Hope to see you out on the trail again soon. :thumb:

RockRunner
06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys, it is going to be a long six weeks but I will have to wait it out.

As for the surgery, no fusion or artificial discs. My doc has worked with them and does not believe they are good enough yet. Some people have died others have had the disc shift and caused paralysis.

Fusion is in my future, we all know it but the longer I can hold off the better it is.

corsair23
06-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Tom,

Glad to hear you are on the mend!! We missed having you on the Rubicon and drank a few (at least) for you :)

Take it easy and don't push it toooooo hard on the PT stuff :thumb:

Hulk
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I have a stainless steel mug for you sitting on my work bench. It's good that I left it at home, because there were dozens of people requesting a mug at Rubithon. Next time, we will have to get more of these printed up.

RockRunner
06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I have a stainless steel mug for you sitting on my work bench. It's good that I left it at home, because there were dozens of people requesting a mug at Rubithon. Next time, we will have to get more of these printed up.

Thanks guys, I need to pay for the mug still..................I forget a lot of things lately. Valium is a wonderful thing :D Just paid $15.00 can't do math anymore.

glad to hear that you guys all survived and mostly made it back with little damage.

I'll look up the post and pay up now.:thumb: