PDA

View Full Version : Just a wee bit concerned that these folks will be dictating policy...

Red_Chili
06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Laudable goal, but... hmmm... (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB121434145793701111.html?mod=blog)

Think we'll get to keep all our trails? Not sure the other side has been all that helpful either.

Hulk
06-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Hmmm. I think Andrea Robinson can dictate my policy anytime. :D

http://www.politicswest.com/files/imagecache/article/files/AndreaRobinson.jpg

SteveH
06-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Talk about a triumph of style over substance. Cheap silly green posturing on both sides, and then biz as usual the next week. I hope Algore flies in from his 14,000 sq foot house to lecture us silly peons about CO2 emissions!

Maddmatt
06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Talk about a triumph of style over substance. Cheap silly green posturing on both sides, and then biz as usual the next week. I hope Algore flies in from his 14,000 sq foot house to lecture us silly peons about CO2 emissions!

Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't. Leaving Al Gore out of it for a moment, wouldn't you guys be giving them even more S*** if they threw a convention and didn't put any thought into the sustainability? IMO, at least they're making an effort. I think it's pretty cool that a major even like this even acknowledges that there are alternative methods - most would just order up a million plastic cups and call it good. Just my 2cents.
-Matt

Hulk
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Gotta say, anybody is going to be better than the yahoos we got in office right now. Read this (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/washington/25epa.html). The White House refused to open an email from the EPA that contained an analysis of greenhouse gases with conclusions that they didn't want to accept.

It's kind of like putting your hands over your ears, saying "bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh, I can't hear you!" and pretending something never happened. It's something children do, not adults.

7 months and counting. McCain, Obama, Christopher Walken -- crap, anybody will be a breath of fresh air. It will be an easy act to follow.

Red_Chili
06-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Gotta say, anybody is going to be pretty much the same as the yahoos we got in office right now.

Fixed it for ya. Only the issues will change, the stupidity will remain the same.

No matter which one gets elected, kiss our trails goodbye. One mile at a time. And kiss more goodbye.

Like I said, the goals are laudable. The idealism, almost puritanical... fails to deal with the real world. Failure to understand business impacts only deepens business cycles. As in, recessions.

Wait, which party was I talking about?

Yeah. You get it now.

Maddmatt
06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Fixed it for ya. Only the issues will change, the stupidity will remain the same.

No matter which one gets elected, kiss our trails goodbye. One mile at a time. And kiss more goodbye.

Like I said, the goals are laudable. The idealism, almost puritanical... fails to deal with the real world. Failure to understand business impacts only deepens business cycles. As in, recessions.

Wait, which party was I talking about?

Yeah. You get it now.

Well I'm with you there - but I do like that at least they are exploring alternatives. Things are going to get worse before they get better no matter who gets the big job. I blame Reagan. No real reason, but there's no real reason behind the recent rush to proclaim him one of the greatest either.

To more important things - Is Ann Coulter still in the news? How about a "debate" between her and Andrea Robinson. I might tune in for that. :beer:

Red_Chili
06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Ewww.

I will say this though, no court appointed by Obama/Clinton/Carter would have the sense to rule like this. (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9698976)

That is a hugely historic decision. And it counters a lot of foolish thinking about guns by those completely unfamiliar with them, or with social science IMHO.

AxleIke
06-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree with Bill.

Doesn't matter who gets in office, they are all owned by the elite rich.

The problem is the disconnect from the reality of everyday living. These candidates cannot speak convincingly on the gas crisis because they have never had to worry about it. They have so much money that its coming out of their ears, and if it costs them an extra 20 -30 bucks to drive between houses, what matter?

Nor can they speak to the healthcare problem. They all have healthcare. Darn good healthcare.

I could go on and on.

Point is, you have to be super wealthy to run for president, and, in addition, you have to cater to the even more super wealthy to get elected. This makes you uniquely unqualified to speak to the issues that affect those of us who are truly middle class, and it makes you ignorant of the truly poor.

With regard to trails, I'm afraid I don't follow.

Perhaps I just haven't seen it, but the trails I've seen closed have been done so either by FS, or at most, state legislature. I would imagine that a trail in Colorado is far too small to sit on the president's plate.

subzali
06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I just talked to a guy a couple weeks ago who works in the Pepsi Center. His office (as in the WHOLE OFFICE - a couple hundred people) is on mandatory closure for the week or whatever that the convention will be going on. Everything has to be put into boxes and will go into storage. Then the demo crews will come in and demo walls, carpets, finishes, partitions, etc. - gut the place. Then the reconstruct crew will come in and put up new walls, partitions, etc. for the media rooms, conference rooms, etc. Then when it's done, the demo crew comes in again and guts the place. Then the remodel crew (really it's like 7 construction companies) has to come in and put it back the way it was. Including the boxes. In three days. Yeah right. Wonder how they figure on being green with that one? :confused:

Oh yeah and I didn't read about that part in the news story either :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Our company offices will be closed too. But of course the rest of the nation will be operating, so we have to continue support. Working remotely. Light Rail will not go to Union Station, so either you drive, or get off early and ride a bike. I understand it will also not go under the Convention Center, due to the terrorist risk.

In my case, because of a project I will be working on, I get to drive to Saudi Aurora to a data center to work remotely. Yech.

So when you consider the entire environmental and economic impact of it...

Regards trails, the prevailing political wind definitely affects whether areas get designated as Wilderness (despite having roads), as National Monuments, etc. and the USFS/BLM becomes less interested in OHV recreation, favoring real or perceived environmental impacts and closure as the best (read: cheapest) option.

Or resource extraction either closes the route or makes it some place you would no longer want to visit. And the USFS/BLM don't get funded. See best/cheapest option above for the outcome.

Take your pick.

Bruce Miller
06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
It doesn't matter if they're Democrat or Republican, it's Congress, with a lack of leadership from the White House (pick an administration, any administration, it doesn't matter) that's put our country in the situation we're currently in. it's no wonder the Dems can't find a ball cap made in the U.S.A. In their successful effort to over regulate us, to provide us with "care" from cradle to grave, our Congress has over regulated businesses to the point where many businesses have moved their operations to Pacific Rim countries to escape all the regulations. Today, there are more people working for the government than are working in manufacturing. That's a bad thing because government can't create jobs that produce wealth, only three things can do that; manufacturing, growing of crops and timbers, and mining of minerals from the earth and sea. Maybe we're the guilty ones, giving Congress our approval to be over regulated as we buy more cheap junk made in China, thus fueling the economy of a Communist nation and an enemy of the U.S.

There will be no breath of fresh air. It will only get worse after the election.

Red_Chili
06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Agreed. Except I believe (and think I have seen) more ways to create wealth than that, especially in an information economy.

Shhh, don't tell the guvmint. They will want more than their share. :lmao: