PDA

View Full Version : Need To Buy: 40 Series Bezel...Falling Rock

Rzeppa
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
The post is simple, I need to buy a new headlight bezel, early through 1978 vintage. The reason is...well, here's the story:

I love my 11 mile commute. Between Kittredge and Conifer I have zero traffic lights. I have to be on US 285 for all of about a half mile. Other than that, it is beautiful meandering county roads, riparian terrain along the creeks: deer, elk, fox, turkey, hawks, flowers and trees. Yesterday afternoon I was driving home from work on South Turkey Creek Canyon Road. Very mellow, just putting along at about the speed limit of 30 MPH.

Driving my 1978 FJ45, I had just past the Tiny Town trains and little houses when I caught a flash out of the corner of my eye and heard this loud BANG and then heard and felt many more loud bangs and crunches. Immediately letting up on the throttle, I thought my engine had blown up or I had lost some large and important part. I looked around, and in my rear view mirror, caught a bunch of rocks bouncing along the road following me. The rig was still driving smoothly and the sounds and bumps had stopped, and I pulled over.

Reconstructing what happened, a rock must have rolled down the hill and hit my passenger side headlight in mid air. It then hit in front of the axle/u-bolt plate on that side and was big enough to become lodged until it splintered into many pieces, where the pieces were thrown up onto the underside of the bed and rear axle. The largest remaining piece was about the size of a coconut, so I'm guessing the original rock was around twice that big.

If I had been a few hundred milliseconds later it would have come through the windshield. A few hundred milliseconds sooner and it would have hit the bed. A second or so either way and it would have missed me altogether. Go figure?

No damage to the underside, but it smashed my passenger side headlight and rendered the headlight bezel unrepairable (no, this won't buff out :-)

So, does anyone have a bezel they'd like to sell me? CCoT has a sale going right now with brand new repros for about $100, but I'm willing to do some rust repair and painting on a used one for a good deal.

Thanks and happy cruisin'!

RicardoJM
06-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Ouch :eek:. I don't have a bezel for you, but am glad to know you weren't hurt.

MDH33
06-25-2008, 09:39 PM
man, I see the rocks on the road all the time to and from Evergreen and I'm always wondering when I'll see one come down in front of me. :eek:

Glad the damage wasn't worse. I would just drop in a new headlight and keep the battle scared bezel as a reminder. :)

nakman
06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Jeff, I've got one up at 60wag's house that I'll give you.. maybe trade? It's straight, but needs to get cleaned up. I only need one for a bed for my son, so a dent is fine and actually adds some character. I can likely get it to you before the meeting next week, will ask.

Rzeppa
06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
man, I see the rocks on the road all the time to and from Evergreen and I'm always wondering when I'll see one come down in front of me. :eek:

Glad the damage wasn't worse. I would just drop in a new headlight and keep the battle scared bezel as a reminder. :)

Having lived up here for 28 years, I have seen a lot of rock slides onto local roads and know that it can happen. I was driving back up the hill and encountered a slide still in progress on highway 74 between Morrison and Idledale a couple years ago, but never been hit in mid air before.

Sometimes, that rock's got your name on it.

Rzeppa
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Jeff, I've got one up at 60wag's house that I'll give you.. maybe trade? It's straight, but needs to get cleaned up. I only need one for a bed for my son, so a dent is fine and actually adds some character. I can likely get it to you before the meeting next week, will ask.

Awesome Tim! I don't have any 80 parts, but will be glad to trade any on my 40 series parts! If you want the rock dented one off the 78 FJ45, I'll be happy to pound it as straight as we can get it!

Swap can easily wait for the meeting, it's only a week away and I need to get a new headlight too!

timmbuck2
06-25-2008, 11:10 PM
you are welcome to trade your dented one for one of mine. my 40 may never see the road anyway, might as well let the parts live on. a dent in my headight bezel would be the least of my worries

nakman
06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Awesome Tim! I don't have any 80 parts, but will be glad to trade any on my 40 series parts! If you want the rock dented one off the 78 FJ45, I'll be happy to pound it as straight as we can get it!

Swap can easily wait for the meeting, it's only a week away and I need to get a new headlight too!

And I know you're a purist, but since you're buying a headlight if you still have stock headlights I think it's rational to still suggest taking a good look at the Roundeyes or IPF upgrade & direct harness.. the upgrade is substantial, to say the least. :cool:

And if you just want a stocker, I've got a couple of those you can have as well, let me know.

wesintl
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
:eek: Just glad damage wasn't worse to you or the 45!

Rzeppa
06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
And I know you're a purist, but since you're buying a headlight if you still have stock headlights I think it's rational to still suggest taking a good look at the Roundeyes or IPF upgrade & direct harness.. the upgrade is substantial, to say the least. :cool:

And if you just want a stocker, I've got a couple of those you can have as well, let me know.

Actually, these had already been upgraded to H4s by the PO. Note the bulb is intact...

wesintl
06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I've got a bosh h4 housing for you then :D

Rzeppa
06-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Went to NAPA today to get a new H4. They wanted $109. Each. I'm thinking I could do better. Any recommendations?

Also, noticed that the headlight retainer shown below is a Land Cruiser part, so I'll need one of these also if anyone has one for sale. The one on the left is from my 76 resto project, which I will use for now but will need to replace. The one on the right is the one that got smashed by the mid air rock.

After taking the bezel off today, I noticed the bib was bent too, but I'm pretty sure I can remove it, pound it back, then put it back and it'll be good to go. Just didn't need another project right when I'm starting to resume good progress on the 76. Oh well, still feeling glad that the rock didn't come through the windshield!

ATLR
06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Look at clasic cruisers they should have it
http://www.classiccruisers.com/

Rzeppa
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Look at clasic cruisers they should have it
http://www.classiccruisers.com/

Hi ATLR, thanks for the tip. I'm sure Merle probably has one as would any number of other vendors who part out rigs. I was hoping for something from a fellow Rising Sun member for cheap, maybe trade parts or beer :-)

wesintl
06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I think i have a ring too. I got it thinking the 40 and 60/70 were the same.. nope.

Do you want the h4 housing? if you're bulb is good it'll be an easy replacement.

Rzeppa
06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I think i have a ring too. I got it thinking the 40 and 60/70 were the same.. nope.

Do you want the h4 housing? if you're bulb is good it'll be an easy replacement.

That would be awesome, Wes. AFAIK the bulb is still good, but even if it isn't that would be like five bucks at any auto parts place. The housing/lens was what NAPA was having an issue with. Hit me up direct. Thanks and happy cruisin'!

PabloCruise
06-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Wow! Incredible it didn't end up in the front seat or tear off oil pan...

Doesn't someone have a repro bezel with the LANDCRUISER stamped in?

Glad you don't have to go CCOT

Hulk
06-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Just didn't need another project right when I'm starting to resume good progress on the 76.

Guy at Rubithon: Hey, you're one of those Rising Sun guys, right?

Me: Yep. Glad to meet ya.

Guy: You know... Jeff Zepp?

Me: Sure do. He's in our club.

Guy: Cool. Did Zepp ever finish the 40 he was restoring from the ground up?

Me: Not yet, but he's still working on it.

Guy: Wow. He's been working on that for a long time.

Rzeppa
06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Guy at Rubithon: Hey, you're one of those Rising Sun guys, right?

Me: Yep. Glad to meet ya.

Guy: You know... Jeff Zepp?

Me: Sure do. He's in our club.

Guy: Cool. Did Zepp ever finish the 40 he was restoring from the ground up?

Me: Not yet, but he's still working on it.

Guy: Wow. He's been working on that for a long time.

LOL! Yeah but guess what! Even after taking the bib off the FJ45, bending it straight, sanding it down, putting a coat of red and a clearcoat on it, I managed to get a good couple of hours of work in on the 76 yesterday! Finally got the B-Pillar and rocker lips welded onto the (now highly modified) CCOT rockers on the driver's side, and have been carefully grinding down the welds to match the original perfectly. Or at least as perfect as I can before getting out the body filler for final contouring.

One of the things I've learned about body work, on areas that will be seen, is that for every ten minutes spent welding, there's about an hour of grinding involved. =-O

Rzeppa
07-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Tim and Timm,

I'll be bringing the dented bezel with me to the meeting tomorrow evening - who's bringing another bezel that isn't dented and I owe ya!

60wag
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll bring the one from Tim N.

Bruce

timmbuck2
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
So you prob don't need mine then.

T