PDA

View Full Version : Here's a motor to challenge your skills

60wag
06-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Check out this creation:

http://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/tomlinson.htm

Its a model but look far enough down in the description to see the layout drawings and photographs. 18 cylinder, opposed piston, triangular arrangement. Wow!

Red_Chili
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
You would get some SERIOUS compression with that arrangement!

farnhamstj
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Very impressive. That guy is a lot smarter than me.

wesintl
06-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Forget the opposed 18cylinders as the guys that make any of those miniature engines, and run no less, are amazing. The 18cyl opposed is friggin cool though

nakman
06-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow, that thing is beautiful. I mean, if you don't think this is pretty, then I don't think we can't be friends any more..

http://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/clen25.jpg

thanks for sharing, Bruce! :beer:

Red_Chili
06-27-2008, 09:13 AM
3,700 bhp at 2,200 rpm (bmep 130 lbf/in2) when turbo-charged and charge cooled.
Oh my.

My favorite:
I was still writing with a pencil and thinking “All this technology has arrived too late for me." Then I thought, “Hang on a minute, non of them are not that bright. It can`t be that difficult.” Surreptitiously I put a PC on MY desk. Word processing; no problem! Then there are was draughting. This CAD is really impressive, but that's beyond my ancient brain. Then I think, “Hang on a minute----”. It didn`t take too long and I was doing that too.

Although too much of this approach to life can lead you down a lonely road, I found it quite inspirational. It was not so very long ago that changing my oil and adjusting my valves on my VW Bug was about all the mechanical challenge I could rise to.

Yesterday I had a high priority issue on a system that was completely foreign to me (covering for someone else). Our team lead asked me if I knew anything about the process.

"Not yet. Hang on a minute..."

60wag
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I liked this line:

"There are no castings used. The entire model is machined from solid bar stock and “made to look like” castings"

rover67
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
yeah, some of these guys are amazing. This engine is by far one of the coolest. Maybe there is a video of it running somewhere.

I mean, thats just nuts... and the sound they make... just awesome.