PDA

View Full Version : anyone like to go fast?

Nemesis Gnat
06-27-2008, 01:46 AM
hey there yall

been a while since i posted here (i guess i didnt much to begin with anyways), but ive had some health things to deal with and some logistics of living things... but now they seem to be falling into place, and for one thing, im eager to maybe finally actually get to a club meeting, meet some of you guys, do some wheeling and wrenching (have i mention i caught the diesel bug?:o)... so lookin forward to that :cool:

but more to where i was going with this thread... my baja bug has had to sit in california at my parents house since last august when i moved out here, and part of whats holding me back from towing it on out here is... is there anywhere i can use it? are there places here that arent all rock crawling and pretty mountain roads? i mean, i love the terrain out here, im a mountain sorta guy, but what about when i wanna open it up? something more along the lines of desert terrain... high speed, bumps, rallying corners, without worrying about running into someone (or atleast a reduced risk... an ohv area maybe?)

i was just down in the gunnison area for a bike race, and went climbing at this spot called hartman rocks. extremely cool place, it seemed popular for dirt bikes and stuff, and we even had some fun rallying my buddies stock tahoe. hell he had so much fun that now he wants to get into off road racing with me... anyone ever been to this hartman rocks place and maybe can suggest a similar place around here?

i mean, i never go east, or even look that way, but it occured to me that theres a lot of wide openness out there with the potential for shredding the gnar...

or maybe im just some yahoo extreme sports guy:rant::hill:

subzali
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
There's some dunes up by Walden, not sure how good they are I've heard mixed reports. You might look into the area down by Pueblo/Trinidad/Walsenburg, or even into New Mexico or Wyoming, but I'm not aware of any good desert type racing areas. But I'm not into that either.

JadeRunner
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I've spent a lot of time parting, wheeling and camping at Hartman's Rocks in the 80's when I went to college there. The Walden area does come to mind. I haven't been there but have seen pictures when we had the first FJ event there. Also, I bet you could find some of that on the western slope around the Grand Junction area. Probably on of the places that only the locals know about though.

Red_Chili
06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Just north of I-70 in Da Junk. Watch out for ATVs though or it could come to a BAD end. :eek:

Nemesis Gnat
06-28-2008, 03:37 AM
thanks guys

ill do some more research on my own too

da junk? is that a real place? :rolleyes: im sure all the jokes have been made already so i wont go there... where is this place?

RockRunner
06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Grand junction has some great trails and you can open it up as much as you want. Pueblo is a little closer but smaller. Great hills to ride and there are big open areas too but it is a dust bowl.

wesintl
06-28-2008, 06:59 PM
yep.. hartmans rocks is fun. Great mtn biking and some fun ohv trails. First time i've been stranded by my cruiser. I dunno where you go to open things up though.

MDH33
06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Go Fast ? ... Cruiser ? .... :confused: I'm confused.

:D

Nemesis Gnat
06-29-2008, 12:30 AM
haha, baja bug, not cruiser:D

although with ome suspension, it takes bumps like a champ:rolleyes:

but thanks yall for the advice! i dont think im gonna make julys meeting to finally introduce myself cause ill be driving from california to snowmass for a bike race... the next month will probably work out, but is there another event soonish other than a meeting? a rally or wheelin day or shin dig or hootenanny?

ianacole
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
That could be a lot of fun in SCCA Rallycross: http://www.coloradorallycross.org/