PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Cleanup Run 6/29/08

subzali
06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Great day, great run with a great number of 4 trucks! Thanks to everybody who came and supported this effort! We had a great time today and I'm excited to get up there again. I'm working on getting a map to help describe where we went/what we did, as well as some pictures. :thumb:

subzali
06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
First off, the turnoff to Argentine is on a Left Hand switchback about 2.5 miles from Georgetown, measured from about when you pass the last house on the first right-hand switchback as you climb out of town.

Me, Martin (with Perry), John in Denver, and Wes went up the high road until the first cut down to the low (power line) road, and that's where we set the big sign that we've been talking about at meetings. Everything went great, the sign looks fantastic!

We then went down to the power line to check out the water diversion project of last year. It was holding up well except that the water was so high that it was overflowing at the lower crossing a little bit! :eek: No problems driving through, except that it was the first of 6 times today that my 40 took on water coming in above the door sill! :eek:

We then went up to where the trail cuts across to the "left" side - the side facing Waldorf Mine, where we haven't really gone all that much and had lunch just after that crossing. We then continued up to where the road is blocked off, because Brant had never seen what it looked like, but he saw ATVs up there and wondered if they just missed it or not. From the pictures you will see (as we did) that several groups of ATVs have blatantly ignored the closure and have driven up on the hill to go around it! :rant: So we drug some big trees in the way of the hill climb and posted some carsonite, hopefully that will help control things a bit more.

We did a lot of talking about the ATV and are working on a plan to get in that area to check it out sometime later this summer.

subzali
06-29-2008, 10:22 PM
So here's a map of the first part. You can see where we went on the upper road for the first bit. Just past the junction that cuts down to the lower road is where the sign is. Then the two water crossings, and another one to cross to the "left" side.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/Argentine_1.jpg

And then a map of the second part. Stay on 148.1A all the way and you'll get to the top where the closure is. There are many spurs, all the way up to H I think, and C is a long fun route that Brant suggest we do sometime if we'd like, it just goes way down the ridge and is kind of neat.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/Argentine_2.jpg

We didn't go up to the Santiago Mine as we normally do (well worth doing if you've never been there before) or Waldorf Mine. When I go back there this summer I would also like to check out the switchbacks above Santiago and the overlook of Grays/Torreys trailhead. Also try to get up on Argentine Pass and check that out too, since I've never been up there.

Here's a picture of our Adopt-a-Road sign (which was gone and we had to replace):
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3639.jpg

Working on the hood to accomplish our task:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3608.jpg

Group shot of the finished sign:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3609.jpg

Stay the Trail poster!
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3613.jpg

The creek crossings:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3622.jpg
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3625.jpg

subzali
06-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm testing out uploading photos to the gallery, it's cool being able to put text in between pictures!

A view from the "left" (east) side of the valley:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3629.jpg

The road closure:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3635.jpg

John in Denver helping Ranger Nick (or is it the other way around?) :confused: ;)
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3636.jpg

All in all a fun day, learned about a couple cabins up in the area that might need checking out, as well as a potential stage stop atop one of the ridges!

I don't know why, but every time I go up there it makes me want to go back and explore more and learn more about the history!

wesintl
06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for putting this together and working on the sign construction Matt. It was a nice day to get out and forget about things and enjoy what the high country has to offer. I enjoyed going up the other side and checking out new territory. Looks like the shelf roads were still full of snow up high.

Not many pics from the back of the pack...

Uncle Ben
06-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Cool! Who's Montero? :eek: :bolt:http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Embarrassed/hide.gif

wesintl
06-29-2008, 11:31 PM
All I see is a couple jeeps and ferd ranger :lmao:

Hulk
06-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Nice sign, Matt! Woot!

MDH33
06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Great Day. I was surprised at the low turnout, but we still got it done and had fun exploring some of the lesser known trails around Argentine. I didn't bring my camera, but I had Perry riding shotgun, and you know he got some good shots. :thumb:

One thing I noticed this year is that there was not much trash to pick up. :) We really did a thorough job last year and the camp sites seemed to be staying fairly clean.

Matt, let me know when you'll be taking the second sign up there. I'll be glad to help out again.

subzali
06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I need to talk with Brant and see if we can figure out a good place for it. I'm also hoping to explore the cabin, the tramway terminal (read hiking), and the McClellan overlook next time I'm up there too.

Red_Chili
06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Fantastic job!!
Sorry I could not make it; Sundays are really tough for me though I do try to set aside a few.
Thank you Matt, I am grateful for you and Isaac helping out on Land Use issues.
The sign looks fantastic. You did good work today!

MDH33
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Perry, you left your work gloves in my 40. I'll bring them to the next meeting.

bh4rnnr
06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks Martin. I should be there.

And thanks again for letting me sit shotgun. Was a fun trip and felt great to get back up there. Gave me an idea for a project for next summer:) I'll talk with Matt about a TT artical before posting pics, but there was some good ones.

I sure enjoyed being able to get back up and doing what I love the most:risingsun

:beer::beer:

JohnInDenver
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
It was really amazing to see the difference from when the club adopted Argentine to now. Gone are the cans, abandoned plywood, plastic, discarded camping supplies, etc. . . Getting water off one section of the road made a big difference in erosion control.
Damage to wetland areas is coming back. Timely extraction of a 4x4 by club members was greatly appreciated by the rangers.
THE RANGERS REALLY LIKED THE NEW SIGN THANKS TO SUBZALI AND RISING SUN.
As noted by Matt's maps, we were able to take the rangers and their equipment up into an area they would not have easily gone on their own. What I saw was a continued Rising Sun Club presence and credibility with the Clear Creek Ranger Station. Each of these trips makes a difference for Argentine pass.

JohnInDenver
KDODCU
97 3.4 TACOMA reg cab

nuclearlemon
06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
:risingsun

wish i could've made it, but finances are cutting almost everything out right now:(

Jacket
07-01-2008, 08:17 AM
:cheers: Very much appreciated!

rover67
07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
looks like it was a really productve trip, and beautiful too! sorry we couldn' make it :(

Matt, let me know the next time you go up there, i'd like to poke around and help if I can.

subzali
07-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Now I'm pissed...

my girlfriend and I went up there yesterday, had a great time exploring, found the "stage stop" which appears to be some sort of power hub or ore cart transfer assemblage from Silver Plume/Georgetown.

Our signs were in good shape in the morning when we headed up. But when we came down the high road at about 5 the poster on the big sign had been torn off, ripped into pieces, and thrown down the hill into the trees! :rant:

Now I'm fuming, don't even know what to do but go pick up the pieces and keep my mouth shut. Jacki knows how proud I am of the work we've done up there, and we had a good discussion about it as we continued on our way. I'm thinking of trying something new at some point, gotta figure out how to do it...

So the poster lasted two weeks. But really two Saturdays, a full Sunday, and part of another Sunday.

MDH33
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
GGGrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Brant mentioned we could get more posters and take them up to replace any that are lost/damaged. He also said to keep track of volunteer hours.

So did you see any other rigs up there that might be responsible for the vandalism?

Hulk
07-14-2008, 08:53 AM
That sucks, Matt. We need to find a vendor that prints on hard plastic, then mount the sign with drywall screws.

MDH33
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
That sucks, Matt. We need to find a vendor that prints on hard plastic, then mount the sign with drywall screws.

The Digital Frontier just off I-70 near Kipling has a large format printer that can print on any material. Might be worth calling them. I know a guy that works there, so let me know what we need and I'll get a quote.

Red_Chili
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
The USFS faces this kind of thing every day. VERY frustrating. But the most successful rangers (one of whom was an inspiration to Brant) just keep putting the signs back up and wearing down the impatience of the vandals.

BTW, excellent idea, Hulk.

subzali
07-14-2008, 09:19 AM
I was thinking that maybe something that said that "NORMAL" people - i.e. not the government - put in lots of hard time and work to get this done - that "NORMAL" people believe in staying on the trail, and it's not some rhetoric that the government tries to place on us. I would like to think that some kind of sign appealing to peoples' reason would help. I have a story that I can't share now, but maybe I'll have time later to write it quick.

Hulk
07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Which one got ripped down?

This one:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3613.jpg

or this one:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/556/medium/HPIM3639.jpg

If it's sign #2, I have some ideas and can help you write and design the new sign.

wesintl
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
just keep putting the signs back up and wearing down the impatience of the vandals.

x2. Stop by grap another one to put up. We could always buy some plexi to put over it and screw it over the stay the trail banner.

subzali
07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
We have the template for the 11x17 that Brant asked us if we could tweak a bit, I'll forward it to you Matt (I already forwarded it to Bill and Martin). A new look is something Brant is looking for, within reason and with his approval, but if we want to take it on we can.

The big sign is the one that got ripped down. We can do the plexi thing or whatever, but then I'm wondering if they won't just pull the WHOLE sign down and throw it down the bank :(

Keep the ideas coming! I wish I had another banner sign and a staple gun with me that day, but alas...maybe Brant can run up there with an ATV and put another one up.

Hulk
07-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Matt, which one is the "big" sign? I can't tell from the pictures.

subzali
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
The "In Colorado We Stay on the Trail" sign. It's 16" x 44", and the "Adopt-a-Road" is 11" x 17"

Hulk
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
The "In Colorado We Stay on the Trail" sign. It's 16" x 44", and the "Adopt-a-Road" is 11" x 17"

So they ripped down the 16 x 44 sign, but we're re-working the 11 x 17 sign? :confused: Just want to make sure that I'm on the right page, so to speak.

subzali
07-14-2008, 02:08 PM
During the cleanup run, Brant suggested we revamp the 11" x 17" sign to spruce it up a bit. The vandals did not mess with that sign (this time), but usually we have to put a new one up once a year anyway.

The vandals tore down the 16" x 44" COHVCO sign yesterday, which Brant has some extras of different varieties for to replace (if someone gets a chance this summer). I am pondering doing something a little extra on the large sign to try and mitigate this type of occurence, along the lines of letting would-be vandals know that the government is not out to get them with this sort of signage, but rather that it's a friendly reminder from their fellow off-road enthusiast trail users. Maybe that would appeal to their reason :rolleyes:

bh4rnnr
07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Now I'm pissed...

my girlfriend and I went up there yesterday, had a great time exploring, found the "stage stop" which appears to be some sort of power hub or ore cart transfer assemblage from Silver Plume/Georgetown.

Our signs were in good shape in the morning when we headed up. But when we came down the high road at about 5 the poster on the big sign had been torn off, ripped into pieces, and thrown down the hill into the trees! :rant:

Now I'm fuming, don't even know what to do but go pick up the pieces and keep my mouth shut. Jacki knows how proud I am of the work we've done up there, and we had a good discussion about it as we continued on our way. I'm thinking of trying something new at some point, gotta figure out how to do it...

So the poster lasted two weeks. But really two Saturdays, a full Sunday, and part of another Sunday.

Matt, it is frustrating to have that happen, but I agree with others in being persistant with it. Soon, they'll get the message. who know's maybe we will be there waiting for them one day with Brant and Bill:D

I like the idea of something that makes them put out a little more effort when doing the vandolism.

Maybe we can keep the posters at the Clear Creek station, and whenever somebody goes up, grab a poster.

rover67
07-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I think it'd be a good idea to just keep putting them up. I will be in winter park this weekend, and although it is not really a direct route, i could swing by the sign and restaple a new poster on it. I'd even be willing to just go ahead and add a peice of plexi glass to it as well. if anybody knows the inside dimensions of the sign where the poster mounts i can go get a peice from lowes, even border it with some angle and use one way screws a-la bathroom stall (why do they have those on stall doors anyways....) to keep it from being peeled off.

rover67
07-15-2008, 09:16 AM
actually, after looking at the sign... I could just get a sheet to match the poster and border that with angle.

let me know what your thoughts are. it'd be fun for me so it's not like i'd be going out of my way or anything.

subzali
07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
The poster is 16" x 44". I think the inside dimensions of the sign are closer to 21" x 45", but I'm still thinking of putting up some 1 1/2" high lettering that states that the sign was donated and installed by Rising Sun 4x4 Club, so that takes up a little of that vertical distance.

I'm just worried that if we do something to keep people from getting at the poster, they'll tear the whole thing out of the ground and throw it down the hill :eek:

If you want to call the Forest Service Office there in Idaho Springs, I think that's where they keep the posters and you could just let them know what you're wanting to do. It would be awesome of you/someone to go replace it! :thumb:

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Put a US flag on the poster. Really. It works to some degree.

subzali
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
We did. :( See the picture on the first page.

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Probably someone who doesn't want to see any motorized recreation there.

I doubt they walked up to the sign :lmao: but I suppose it is always possible. See anyone walking? :p:

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Probably someone who doesn't want to see any motorized recreation there.

I doubt they walked up to the sign :lmao: but I suppose it is always possible. See anyone walking? :p:
Re: The Flag. That often helps, but apparently not in this case. What losers. Walking up, wonder if like you say it's someone who does not like the traffic, like maybe a local?

MDH33
07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
It was more likely ATV'ers. Probably angry that we closed off their illegal trail around the closure up to the tundra where they had been.

Tch2fly
07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
anybody have a game camera we could mount up on a tree across the road :D

MDH33
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM

That would be very cool to catch them. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
07-16-2008, 09:04 PM

I like this idea a lot. Brant has even told me about the pictures he has gotten from remote cameras.

The only thing with this is that we would have to make sure to get the persone/vehicles in the picture. Is there a place we can check this stuff out?

Chris
08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
The poster is 16" x 44". I think the inside dimensions of the sign are closer to 21" x 45"

I was up there a couple days ago. If this is the sign I'm thinking of it now has writing on it - I won't try to quote it but it references "Brokebutt Mountain" in silver paint. I took a pic but haven't pulled it off the camera yet.

:(

subzali
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Chris, you can email it to me if you don't want to post it up. My email is in the roster and I think I allow emails from the forum.

Chris
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Here it is...

rover67
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
who wants to drive up this week and at least paint it poo brown again? I'd be up for an evening run.

I can't make it to the FS office during regular hours to get a poster though..

wesintl
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
well, That's too bad. just gotta keep after it. Vandals suck

subzali
08-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Sometimes I hate people. Well here we go working on fixing it. I'm up for an evening run, I have a call in to the Ranger District to get their advice and find out how to get the paint. Will let you know.

Thanks Chris for letting us know about this. :(

Red_Chili
08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
It's all about persistence, fellas. All about persistence.

I once won a medium distance footrace against some real athletic fellow high school students. And it wasn't because of athletic ability.

I was more persistent than they were. And I did what I needed to to not burn out.

rover67
08-11-2008, 01:08 PM
yup. thats why i feel like just cruising up there and fising it up. plus it'd be a nice little road trip with the dog.

subzali
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Yea, I know. Been pretty busy lately so haven't had the energy to coordinate getting a poster together etc., but I'd like to do this this week.

corsair23
08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
We need to electrify that sign!

Of course a little "Smile, you're on camera" would probably deter some folks as well :D

bh4rnnr
08-11-2008, 07:18 PM
We need to electrify that sign!

Of course a little "Smile, you're on camera" would probably deter some folks as well :D

That's a good idea Jeff. Maybe just writing that on the on the board would deter the vandels.

Hulk
08-12-2008, 02:02 AM
OK, I created a new version of the 11 x 17 sign. Let me know what you think!

Tch2fly
08-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I like it:thumb: (well ...OK ...the heep is a little :homer: but I agree it is the right thing to use ;) )

So I realize WE are 4-wheelers but how about something a little more "universal" in the language. Don't ignore other users (hikers, mountain bikers, even ATVs(:rant:) ) just makes us seem too ... elitist:confused: and we are all in it together.

Is sign wording even up to us? You know what happened when John "improved" the Jenny Creek kiosk ... not standard GI :rolleyes:

MDH33
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Use a cruiser in the pic. Otherwise, I think it's great. :thumb:

Red_Chili
08-12-2008, 08:52 AM
So I realize WE are 4-wheelers but how about something a little more "universal" in the language. Don't ignore other users (hikers, mountain bikers, even ATVs(:rant:) ) just makes us seem too ... elitist:confused: and we are all in it together.

Is sign wording even up to us? You know what happened when John "improved" the Jenny Creek kiosk ... not standard GI :rolleyes:
+1,000. Include all OHVs, a representative sample at least, or expect blow-back. Especially from motorcyclists, and justifiably so.

BTW, you need to reword it to not use 'trail'. Brant will explain till it's crystal that only ROAD travel is allowed in the area. I know, but it is important to him to keep 'trails' very distinct from 'roads'.

Brant is not the BRD. But we do need to run it past him.

Hulk
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
how about something a little more "universal" in the language. Don't ignore other users (hikers, mountain bikers, even ATVs)

That's going to make for a pretty cluttered poster. In many ways, I think the image should be an ATV, since they seem to be the biggest problem users.

I don't know. I assumed that whatever I created would get shown by Subzali to his contact at the Forest Service. They actually asked for a different poster, so I just got started. This is just a starting point. It's usually easier to edit than it is to create from scratch, so hopefully this will help the FS figure out what they think it appropriate.

Use a cruiser in the pic. Otherwise, I think it's great.

I used a silhouette of a Jeep on purpose, since it is a more universal representation of 4WD vehicles.

+1,000. Include all OHVs, a representative sample at least, or expect blow-back. Especially from motorcyclists, and justifiably so.

If we had a silhouette of a Jeep, motorcycle and ATV, would that cover most of our motorized users?

BTW, you need to reword it to not use 'trail'. Brant will explain till it's crystal that only ROAD travel is allowed in the area. I know, but it is important to him to keep 'trails' very distinct from 'roads'.

Um, dude, the other sign says "Stay (On) The Trail." That's a whole initiative (http://staythetrail.org/) from COHVCO.

subzali
08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Thank you Matt! Yes, it's easier for us to show the CCRD something and have them tell us they don't like it then have them try to explain what they want without anything to look at! This is a great starting point, I forwarded it to Brant for his comments, and I think we are getting some good input here as well! Before this goes out in the field we WILL have their full blessing on it, and that's the beauty of computer generated graphics, it's all picture drawing until we can come up with what they want! Great work Matt and let's keep it up!

Tch2fly
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
That's going to make for a pretty cluttered poster. In many ways, I think the image should be an ATV, since they seem to be the biggest problem users.

I was thinking more about the verbage, the use of "motorized" and "open to vehicles".
I see what you were saying and I like the "no BS" down to earth language but I'm afraid it widens the gap between users (i.e. 4 wheeling and hiking/mtn biking) even further. No need to cause resentment by sounding as though we are all that matter.
I guess I'm saying that the message can be just as strong without specifically focusing on motorized users.

Red_Chili
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
If we had a silhouette of a Jeep, motorcycle and ATV, would that cover most of our motorized users?
Yep.

Um, dude, the other sign says "Stay (On) The Trail." That's a whole initiative (http://staythetrail.org/) from COHVCO.
Which would indicate that COHVCO would be down with it.
Need to ask Brant if he is... I am, but it has to pass USFS muster.

Hulk
08-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I was thinking more about the verbage, the use of "motorized" and "open to vehicles".
I see what you were saying and I like the "no BS" down to earth language but I'm afraid it widens the gap between users (i.e. 4 wheeling and hiking/mtn biking) even further. No need to cause resentment by sounding as though we are all that matter.
I guess I'm saying that the message can be just as strong without specifically focusing on motorized users.

Ah, I see what you were saying now. I just figured that hikers and mountain bikers weren't really part of the problem. :rolleyes:

Tch2fly
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Ah, I see what you were saying now. I just figured that hikers and mountain bikers weren't really part of the problem. :rolleyes:

I don't think they are but wanted to appear to be on the same team ;)

Frankly I'm afraid most of the people we need to reach doesn't reed or speech so gooder :hill:

rover67
08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Matt, Have you heard from the FS guy yet? I'd still be up for an evening drive up there..

subzali
08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Not yet. I have a call and a couple emails into him. Thursday is probably going to be the only night I have this week to do it.

rover67
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM
okeydokie... just lemme know. Also, let me know if I need to pic up any supplies.

rover67
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Matt and I drove up to Argentine tonight and painted the sign, also got a new poster to put up. Thanks Matt for getting the supplies and coordinating with the FS to get the poster and paint!
Nice trip to the mountains!

rover67
08-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Complete!

subzali
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks Marco for heading up there with me and getting this done! It was a great time to just hang out and chat and get to know ya better! :thumb:

Hopefully this sign will last a little more than two weeks this time...

MDH33
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Good job guys!

:bowdown: :thumb: :D

Red_Chili
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Niiiiiiice...

When it (inevitably) gets torn off there, don't get discouraged. Just go back and fix it again. Figger it will become a fairly regular exercise until you wear the bastids out.

Persistence... :thumb:

(Oh yeah, and a sheet of Lexan might help too. Worth a try anyway. Screw it on, then drill out the phillips cross slots to make 'security' screws. When you need to replace it, just drill out the head of the phillips, use pliers to remove the stump, and put the new one on.)

bh4rnnr
08-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Great work guys!

subzali
08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I'll look into Lexan when I go to the hardware store today...

As long as the FS keeps feeding us posters we'll keep going up there to put them back up :)

subzali
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I need to talk with Brant and see if we can figure out a good place for it. I'm also hoping to explore the cabin, the tramway terminal (read hiking), and the McClellan overlook next time I'm up there too.

I didn't post up some of the pictures that we took when we found out what was going on up on the ridgeline. But here they are: Free to take a guess at what the purpose of this was:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3742.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3744.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3749.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3753.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3761.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3762.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3773.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3774.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/559/HPIM3780.JPG

Red_Chili
08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Looks like some kind of rope tow or cable tow or something. Minus the winch (and the walls, and roof, and...)

corsair23
08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
GREAT jobs guys :thumb:

coloradobound
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Just flipping through the posts and came across the pics.

I believe this is what you guys found a few posts up.

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lost/sunrisetram.html

subzali
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Good find!

EDIT: wanted to post the text here just in case it goes away from the link...

"Sunrise Aerial Tramway

Part I
By Bill Fetcher

The Sunrise Peak Aerial Tramway (or Railway, as it was also referred to), 1907 to 1914, was Colorado’s
first gondola and very likely the first in the U.S. though they appear to have been in use in Europe. By
“gondola” we mean a type of aerial lift with a number of open cars or enclosed cabins for two or more people
that circulate on an endless cable. The Sunrise Peak gondola was built for sightseers who would reach Silver
Plume via the Georgetown, Breckenridge and Leadville R.R., original builders of the Georgetown Loop. The
base terminal was a little ways west of the present Georgetown Loop station, about where I-70 passes
through Silver Plume today. The lift ascended to Sunrise Peak (Pendleton Mountain) to the southwest (your
left as you head toward the tunnel) reaching an elevation of 12,500 feet. Vertical rise was 3,300 feet. There
were 26 open cars, painted bright yellow, each holding four people. The lift was a bi-cable system; each car
had a carriage with two sheaves (grooved wheels) which rode along a stationary 1 inch track-rope while a
moving haul-rope moved the cars along, driven by an electric motor at the top. Because it was also a fixed
grip, the lift had to stop for cars to load and unload. (This is also referred to as a pulse lift.) For those in the
cars on the line these interruptions offered many Kodak opportunities. Presumably the cars were spaced so
one would be in each terminal when stopped, for loading and unloading. Some early photos show metal roofs
over the cars, protection not so much from the elements but from the occasional blob of grease that would drip
from the carriage sheaves. During its seven years of operation the Sunrise Peak Aerial Tramway apparently
worked well and did well, carrying up to 500 fares a day on the 46 minute ride. Attesting to its safety,
publicity photos and postcards of the lift invariably depict as many as seven smiling ladies swinging in the
gondola cars. An excursion by train from Denver with a ride on the gondola cost all of $3.00 and you’d be
home by dinnertime.

Little remains today of Colorado’s first gondola. The Silver Plume museum (in the old schoolhouse) has a few
pieces and photos on display. A sharp eye can pick out a single remaining tower on the horizon of Sunrise
Peak, best seen from I-70 eastbound at the Georgetown Loop scenic turnout and at this same point in the
westbound lanes. The upper (drive) terminal is surprisingly intact after weathering nearly 100 years and while
no machinery is left, a few side panels from the gondola cars can be found. Why the Sunrise Peak Aerial
Tramway ceased operation I don’t know but I plan to speculate on this matter in a future article.

Part II
By Bill Fetcher

The Sunrise Peak Aerial Tramway, as noted in last month’s article, was an added attraction served by a
railroad. Around the turn of the century, railroads in Colorado (and elsewhere) did a landslide excursion
business. Often this was undertaken before a railroad had reached its ultimate destination, a mining town for
example, as a means of generating income until regular freight and passenger service could be established.
They had hundreds of thousands of obliging customers; city folk who wanted an escape from the turmoil of
town living as well as tourists from out-of-state who had come to see the Rocky Mountains. In most cases
these people didn’t want to exert themselves anymore than necessary; they worked long, hard hours as it was
to earn a few (though stronger than today’s) dollars. They wanted to relax. The added attractions such as
cable railways, restaurants and dance pavilions, amusement parks, resort hotels and hot springs spas were
happy to see to their needs.

This situation would change during the second decade of the century. In 1909 Henry Ford introduced his
Model T, an inexpensive car for the masses and America would enter the Auto Age. As more and more
people took to the roads the railroad excursion business would dry up and with them the various added
attractions. The First World War (1914-1918) would have lasting social and economic effects both here and
abroad. The U.S. entered the war in 1917; the next year the government nationalized the nation’s railroads.
This may have been a Very Good Idea as it permitted the efficient movement of men and materiel to the front.
Some lines, however, were so strained by this effort that when returned to private control in 1920 they were in
such bad repair that bankruptcy was the only recourse. Surviving railroads would phase out their passenger
service over the following years as uneconomical.

The Sunrise Peak Aerial Tramway was most likely a victim of these WWI years for the reasons stated above;
passenger train service to Silver Plume was reduced or discontinued. With few or no passengers the gondola
could no longer pay its way. There was competition as well from the nearby Argentine Central Railroad, which
ascended the same mountain through a series of switchbacks. Built as a mining railroad it offered passenger
excursions. Labor costs for the tramway should be taken into account; it required a crew of 18 to operate
safely. (Among the crew were spotters along the line who could shut the lift down in an emergency.) There is
another possible reason for its failure, though this is based on my own speculation. Driving west through Silver
Plume a glance out the car window up to the left reveals a very steep mountainside. A trip on the Sunrise
Peak Aerial Tramway must have been one scary ride."

DaveInDenver
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Awesome. Thanks for posting that up!

subzali
06-27-2011, 01:17 PM
bump for Treeroot and Perry. The old tramway on the north ridge.