PDA

View Full Version : WTB 22re Alternator

PatrolMan
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Got an old one laying around? I just need a couple parts out of it! Prefer South Denver. PM me with what you have. Thanks!

Red_Chili
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Check with www.jimsgotparts.com, Yota Jim. Pretty sure they have some alts laying around for cheep!

PatrolMan
07-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Realized that my dad had a spare. Went over to his place and snagged it since the parents are out of town. He won't even notice, but would be nice to have a one to replenish his. Thanks for the tip on Jim. I didn't think of that.

PatrolMan
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
So the one I got from my parents house is oh-so slightly different. Won't work. Still on the hunt! This is for a 1987, apparently that does make a difference.

Red_Chili
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
It does - if you want the diode board. The connector is different between certain years.

The rest is the same however! In fact, some 5VZ alt parts interchange. AFAIK, one could take a non-1987 diode board, and swap connectors if one was better than a soldering hack.

PatrolMan
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I did the MobiArc 90amp upgrade in my alternator. The copper "bushing" that spins in the brushes was damaged somehow during the rebuild. The brushes were clicking a bit and it wore 1/2 through a brush in about 30 miles. I need to find a matching alternator that has that copper bushing. Should be a simple swap into the current housing with the 90amp stator (can't remove the stator). The piece that I need differs between models apparently. Who knew...

PatrolMan
07-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Found someone with a spare for my year truck. Already swapped over the parts and truck is running again. Thanks!

Red_Chili
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
The rotor is one of the parts that is interchangeable between lots of years and models, BTW. That upgrade is kinda fun, ain't it?

PatrolMan
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, the rotor swapped over just fine. I was able to tear them both down and have the swap done in under 30 mins. Getting better at doing those. Just had to find one with the right rotor.

The Mobi-arc job isn't too bad. It is the 2nd one I have done. The worst part is trying to get the new stator gently in and in the right spot for all the wires to line up. Other than that, probably a 30 minute job for me now. Haven't put it to the test yet on this truck, but I think it is well worth it.

Red_Chili
07-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, the stickiest part of the whole job is making sure the varnish insulation doesn't get scraped... I clearanced the case a bit with a Dremel and it turned out great.

PatrolMan
07-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I didn't even think of that. I hope that mine didn't get scraped. How would you know?