PDA

View Full Version : Camping near Crested Butte

Jacket
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for good camping spots near Crested Butte? We'd like to be pretty close to town, maybe 5-10 miles away at most. We're fine with primitive camping, or more formal campgrounds as long as the latter has some tree cover and a decent amount of space and privacy.

What's the area north of town around Gothic like? Are there camp spots/grounds up there?

wesintl
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, up past gothic is I think gothic CG. I camped there a few times. It's decent. no facilities, not that big, decent shade. Lots of early morning sun since it's on the west side of the rd. There are facilities at the cement creek CG and Irwin. You can find primitive camping up slate river rd, paradise etc. Lots of possibilites for primitive,

waggoner5
07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I would 2nd the Lake Irwin area. Great sites on a beautiful lake. Probably the closest to town also.

RockRunner
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Lake Irwin is very nice. We camped there years ago and had a great time. The other areas are nice too but have not camped there myself, I don't think you can go wrong with most of the places.

I would go online and look for pictures of the area. Just Google the site and use the Images or video feature.

ttubb
07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
If you are coming over Cottonwood Pass by Taylor Reservoir (742), there are about four on the way to Almont. You can camp near the Taylor river. Also Gothic and Avery Peak camp grounds are just north of Gothic on 317. I live in Crested Butte and the temps are mid 70s in the day and mid 30s at night. We have been getting showers in the afternoons lately. Enjoy! Terry

farnhamstj
07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
x3 for Gothic area.