PDA

View Full Version : campsites for the dogs

kingme
07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
New 80 owner (sweet 50K mile rig from an old couple) going to elope (two huge commitments) and get hitched in CO followed by two weeks of camping with a six year old and three dogs. The rig will be full. I am looking for sites somewhat between Gunnison and Eastes Park. Leaving from STL. on Aug. 1. I am relatively inexperienced and don't want to get the truck or myself in over our heads on this trip. I do have many mods. in mind. I want to get to a place to remote camp where the dogs can be off leash. Have lockers if needed. Also any info. on dog friendly places to stay would be appreciated. A break in camping for the girls might be appreciated.

wesintl
07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
There is a large area between estes park and gunnison :eek: probably a kerbillion camp sites. are you looking for anything or can you narrow it down to what you want to see or a smaller area. There are tons of high passes and scenery to take in with light wheelin that won't get you in trouble. Most of colorado is pretty dog friendly so dogs as sites is usually not a problem.

Jacket
07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
50K miles + lockers? Nice find!

You'll want to avoid any formal campgrounds with the 3 dogs, as most require them to be leashed (for obvious reasons).

Like Wes says - there's so many places in that span its hard to say. The further from Estes you are, the less crowds you'll find. A couple of places we like:

Winter Park area - Turn West on Vasquez Road in downtown WP. That road turns to dirt, and follows a river for a number of miles before the driving portion of the road ends. Tons of primitive spots in there with access to water, trails, and possibly a Moose or two.

Buena Vista area - Browns Creek between BV and Nathrop. Lots of driving trails to explore nearby, plus the Colorado Trail for hiking and biking.

Good luck!

farnhamstj
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
North of Granby Lake is Forest Service land with plenty of free camping

Vail Area. Up Red Sandstone rd. easy drive free camping 10 min out of town. Homestake rd near RedCliff hwy 24. Also primative camping near a stream.

Near Taylor Res is all free primative camping over Cottonwood Pass and north.

Narrow down your route and we can make more recomendations. Congrats on life changes and new ride.

rover67
07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
grab a colorado atlas and just drive any drt road in between the two :)

just turn around if you get uncomfortable :)

like wes said, billions of places to camp, just drive and stop somewhere you like :)