PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new gas tank...

frontrange
07-04-2008, 12:54 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/DSCN1692.jpg

I'm converting my 72 FJ40 to EFI, so I needed a tank with internal baffels and an internal fuel pump. I decided anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

At current gas prices, I'll be using my home equity line of credit to fill it.:rolleyes:

Hulk
07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Very nice. Did you buy it somewhere or is it a custom tank?

Corbet
07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
looks a little like this:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/fj40fueltanklr28gal.htm

frontrange
07-04-2008, 06:18 PM
looks a little like this:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/fj40fueltanklr28gal.htm

Interesting, I'd never seen that one...

I actually made the first version of this tank many years ago (maybe 20?). The FJ40 has been in storage for the last 10 years and I did this version as part of the EFI conversion I'm working on because I have never seen an external electric fuel pump work for more that a few months. While the in-tank versions, which all modern cars I know of roll off the line with, never seem to fail.

This one is made of 14GA steel that I TIG welded and had shot with Line-X bedliner. BTW, mine is 10" tall, and I'm guessing about 50 gallons.

Nick F.
07-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Interesting, I'd never seen that one...

I actually made the first version of this tank many years ago (maybe 20?). The FJ40 has been in storage for the last 10 years and I did this version as part of the EFI conversion I'm working on because I have never seen an external electric fuel pump work for more that a few months. While the in-tank versions, which all modern cars I know of roll off the line with, never seem to fail.

This one is made of 14GA steel that I TIG welded and had shot with Line-X bedliner. BTW, mine is 10" tall, and I'm guessing about 50 gallons.

x2 on that. I have an external electric fuel pump on mine and it sucks. There isn't much choice on a vortec conversion for the pressure requirements. I already replaced one. The replacement cost $120, and sounds like a jet turbine all the time.

frontrange
07-04-2008, 11:35 PM
x2 on that. I have an external electric fuel pump on mine and it sucks. There isn't much choice on a vortec conversion for the pressure requirements. I already replaced one. The replacement cost $120, and sounds like a jet turbine all the time.

I've seen at least 5 or 6 of the external ones die, one was out in in the middle of nowhere. I'll never waste another dime on an external pump. The one installed on this tank was an extra from my vette. It's designed to run a 45 LB port injected LT1, and I'm using it on a 15 lb Chevy TBI. (At least till I get around to making a scratch built port injected manifold) Should be good for many years.

PabloCruise
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I did this version as part of the EFI conversion I'm working on because I have never seen an external electric fuel pump work for more that a few months...

Didn't the first FI Celicas have an external pump at the tank?

Very cool tank - can you elaborate on how you vent it?

Wait, is this tech? :D

frontrange
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Venting is something I'm still kinda working on. I don't have anyway of controlling a purge valve with my Megasquirt EFI controller, and even if I did I'm not knowing which of the Chevy TBI ports would be a suitable one to dump a purge valve into at this point.

I have an extra -3AN fitting coming off the tank that I'm going to run into the bottom of a small stainless steel cylinder I made - my plan is to fill it with some crushed charcoal, and just put a pinhole vent in the top. At least that should keep if from wholesale evaporation, or worse yet vacuum.

Later if I get ambitious, I may drill out the pinhole and install a check valve instead (to relieve vacuum), then make a circuit that will open a purge valve at some specific throttle position and feed it off a tee on the bottom of my DIY charcoal cylinder to relieve pressure.

PabloCruise
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
When my charcoal cannister was not being purged it stunk inside the vehicle to the point it was fairly gross. This was a little 1.8L FI engine as well.

Don't all the factory design charcoal cannisters put the vapors in the top of the can and then have a drain in the bottom? Presumably in case you get liquid in cannister?

frontrange
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, that's my understanding too. My thinking was since I would only have one line going to the canister, I would take it to the bottom so any condensed gas would flow back to the tank. Now I'm thinking I need to explore my TBI ports for a suitable purge candidate.

isotel
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Sweet Tank! I need to get an in tank setup for mine, it wont die, but it vapor locks on hot days when i need to drive far..

frontrange
07-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Well I think I have the canister figured out. It turns out the mid-80's early 90's Chevy trucks & vans use a simple charcoal canister setup with only two connections, one to manifold vacuum and the other to the gas tank. I picked a couple of them up at a junk yard earlier today.

PabloCruise
07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Well I think I have the canister figured out. It turns out the mid-80's early 90's Chevy trucks & vans use a simple charcoal canister setup with only two connections, one to manifold vacuum and the other to the gas tank. I picked a couple of them up at a junk yard earlier today.

I would very much like to see pics!

Is the tank connection on the top of the can? Is there a drain hole in the bottom? Is the manifold vacuum switched or otherwise moderated/controlled?

frontrange
07-10-2008, 03:23 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/DSCN1696.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/DSCN1697.jpg

The one with the dohicky on the tank line is the older of the two. I think the dohicky cuts the tank line off till there is vacuum in the canister. My guess is that the function was built into the later canister. The bottom is a filter to atmosphere. I looked at the vacuum connection and it is going to a TBI port that is open to the manifold vacuum, no modulation of any sort.

These things are located on the Chevy van & truck line just behind the radiator, on the driver's side and low behind the bumper. HTH