PDA

View Full Version : A/C Problems??

Evrgrnmtnman
07-05-2008, 10:08 PM
88 Pickup 22RE. Okay, after a year of not having my A/C on, I decided to recharge my system with R12. I did evacuate the system first! When I went to start my A/C the clutch started skipping, and smoke from the belt came up for a couple of seconds. After that the clutch started turning like normal, and still does operate like it should. However, I don't think the freon is circulating or the pump is not pumping. I don't know if this is because the clutch(or stater) burnt out and is not turning the pump? Or if it the pump itself?
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
CJ

Evrgrnmtnman
07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
If anyone has a more detailed diagram of the A/C system, better than Chilton or Haynes??? Be a great help.

DaveInDenver
07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
May not be identical to your system, but if you look on the Rising Sun FTP server there's a PDF of the 1993 factory service manual. It would be similar in any case.

Evrgrnmtnman
07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
May not be identical to your system, but if you look on the Rising Sun FTP server there's a PDF of the 1993 factory service manual. It would be similar in any case.

How do you get there? I'm thinking now that there may be some blockage. I don't know if you can reverse flow, or blow pressure through there?

DaveInDenver
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
How to get to the RS FTP server:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3099

Attached a few of the main diagnosis sections.

Beater
07-08-2008, 07:58 AM
I would suspect you lost a bearing in the compressor. Personally, after running through the diag in the fsm, you could go used, but I would do reman, w/clutch. The bad news is that you will probably need to do the receiver dryer and flush the rest of the system. Don't forget to change out/clean the filter screen in line, downstream. MOST likely, when you lost your compressor, some pieces fragged and clogged it up.

just a hunch, and probably wrong..

j

Red_Chili
07-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Black death is bad juju for AC, or so I hear.
These boys can fix you up:
www.ackits.com

Evrgrnmtnman
07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Black death is bad juju for AC, or so I hear.
These boys can fix you up:
www.ackits.com

That's a good site for replacing the A/C system. I think I'm going to take it down and pay for a diagonis. Just too many possibilities?? But I'm thinking something is clogging the system. I do see some slight fluid moving through the glass, but nothing consistent.

Red_Chili
07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
They are very helpful over the phone too. Also good for piece parts, not just entire systems. Local diagnosis is probably a fine idea too though not free.