PDA

View Full Version : On the way to work this morning...

CBone
07-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Some idiot spilled his coffee (I think) and without realizing it, came over into my lane hard and fast. To avoid a collision, I swerved to the outside, avoided the big metal traffic light pole, but hit the curb hard. Doing 40+ mph I continued up and over one curb, into the other lane of traffic at the intersection, over two lanes of traffic, all the while avoiding other cars, pedestrians and signs (felt like a champion downhiller through the gates), up and over another median strip, straightened the truck out, got back on Wadsworth and continued on my way. Needless to say, you should have seen the faces of the drivers as I careened all over that intersection. Well, the idiot kept driving, probably never knew what he did.

Here's my question...I am blowing off work and going wheeling tomorrow with the club. I hit a series of curbs pretty darn hard and fast. The truck seems fine, the front end seems fine. I can't feel any problems, the steering seems all right, no shimmy. I looked things over and nothing seems to be bent. Is there anything else I should be looking at, or anything I should check before I head up a trail tomorrow afternoon?

Thanks for your thoughts.

MDH33
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow, close call! Glad you pulled through alright.

If you didn't blow a tire or bend the rim, then I guess your suspension did it's job well. If it's steering ok I would feel confident you did no damage. Crawling under for look wouldn't hurt just to be sure.

Did you get the 'tards plate?

Romer
07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Just check your tires where the bead meets the rim and if everything else seems fine, come along

Glad your driving skills avoided an accident

nakman
07-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Nice work, Carlton! In addition to inspecting the rims, for fun I'd stick a wrench on the bottom knuckle bolts, just to make sure they were still real tight. I wouldn't pull the tires and get the torque wrench out or anything, just slide under there with a 17mm open end wrench and make sure I can't move anything. then wheel that thing.

corsair23
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
:eek:

Good driving skillz Carlton!! Emergency maneuvers in an 80 are always pretty "exciting"

I'd say your rig is fine but follow the experts advice above. After experiencing first hand how a built 80 takes on a median at 30+ mph (not mentioning any names Mayor McCheese :D), if your wheels are still attached then no worries :hill:

Hants
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
You should inspect your wheel & trunnion bearings & races closely at your next knuckle service.

Another thing that probably took a lot of force is the sector shaft on your power steering box. There are a few reports on Mud of them sheering. Might be worth a look-see.

Inukshuk
07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Last time a guy swerved into me I didn't move an inch. Not a scratch on me. 80 armor works (slider, tire, ARB front bumber) Screwed up his car pretty good though!

Hulk
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Dude, you has skills! You might check your steering alignment.

Red_Chili
07-09-2008, 07:03 AM
+1 on checking the kingpins. I discovered that whacking the wheel hard enough to break it in a rollover causes very slight dimpling in the kingpin bearings. They were still functional but needed to be replaced.

Beater
07-09-2008, 07:25 AM
also check tre's and rods for trueness with a straightedge

CBone
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
final outcome: came out this morning to two flat tires. not sure how it works, but the two front tires lost air over the course of the night. when i went to fill them up with the compressor, i realized one of my rims is bent really badly right at the top edge, where the tire bead sits. thanks everyone for your advice on things to check out.