PDA

View Full Version : I have been convinced

AxleIke
07-11-2008, 09:07 AM
After hearing Kevin's medical rescue with a ham on the con, and watching romer talk to Matt Farr when Romer was on slaughterhouse and matt was on 285, I'm convinced that these are very nice to have.

So, I'll be studying for the test, and hunting around for a radio of some sort.

If you happen to see a good deal, please let me know.

Funny thing is, in middle school, I took an electroncis course with a guy who was one of those creepy ham "operators" but I did know morse code inside and out. Glad I don't have to re-memorize that stuff.

subzali
07-11-2008, 09:32 AM
:clap:

Very cool Isaac! Even though my CB works pretty well there was a point where you were on the other side of the hill on the exit where you were coming in pretty scratchy, and Zettl couldn't hear you at all. But even with a handheld Ham he was able to stay in contact with Ken, who was up near you I believe.

Since most of us use 2m and not very much 70cm, the Yaesu FT-1802 is not a bad choice for the wheelin' activities, but if you want to bump it up a bit the FT-7800 is what I and some others have, and I've realized the 70cm band is pretty cool too.

:cool:

nakman
07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Great to hear, man, you will be stoked once you get your license. Don't worry about the radio yet, just pass the test first, and heck borrow someone's HT (handheld) on trail runs if you need to, until you get a good mobile rig.

go to qrz.com then take some practice tests for the technician, you might suprise yourself how well you do.

wesintl
07-11-2008, 10:19 AM
As inexpensive as the 1802 and the 2800 yaesu are it's hard not to buy one of those and just go 2m until you want/need something more. If you're interested in the 1802 I'd be interested in swapping for a 2800. both are ~$120

DaveInDenver
07-11-2008, 10:47 AM
As inexpensive as the 1802 and the 2800 yaesu are it's hard not to buy one of those and just go 2m until you want/need something more. If you're interested in the 1802 I'd be interested in swapping for a 2800. both are ~$120
Enough club members have 2m only mobiles that 70cm is not going to be used often on club runs, certainly secondarily anyway. Setting yourself up with a 2m rig is barely twice what a CB will cost you and you are getting much more than twice the radio. Radios designed recently rather than retread 1970s design that's from when most of us were still in diapers. They are smaller, more reliable and use parts that are still around if you need to fix it.

Romer
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
rather than retread 1970s design that's from when most of us were still in diapers.

I was a teenager and pretty sure I was out of diapers.:D

DaveInDenver
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
OK, but you'll be back in them soon. :-)

Hulk
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM

X2. I actually used a CB back when they were the rage in the mid 70s. I never called anyone "Lil Beaver" on the radio tho.

wesintl
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
X2. I actually used a CB back when they were the rage in the mid 70s. I never called anyone "Lil Beaver" on the radio tho.

10-4 rubber duckie

wesintl
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
BTW... know this stuff Brian posted and ohms law and you should be close to 100% at QRZ.com (http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl)
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5863