PDA

View Full Version : Aired down on street...

subzali
07-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Scrubbing question:

How come when I'm aired down on the street, making sharp turns (parking lots etc.) my tires scrub MORE than when aired up? I would think with extra traction from being aired down the tires would overcome the locker (Lockright) and make it ratchet? But instead it's like the locker takes over and scrubs the tires...

:confused:

treerootCO
07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
If you air down my 37s on pavement with lockrights in both ends, you cannot turn. I tried to hold the wheel once and force it knowing I was about to replace the longs and it tracked straight barking all the way. If I had to guess, you need a little bit of slip to allow it to ratchet.

farnhamstj
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Lower tire pressure = more surface area= more scrub

Rezarf
07-17-2008, 11:56 PM
What is acceptable around town? I have been running at 15psi for a week now, and love it when I jump on a dirt road, it seems a little more "loose" through tight turns but otherwise... just poor MPG's and wear?

Drew

AxleIke
07-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Drew, the risk is prolonged time on road. The lower pressure give a much greater contact patch, which, at speed for a long duration, can supposedly cause a tire to heat up enough to separate the rubber and steel.

Around town, 15 is fine. I choose not to take the risk on the highway, but I would bet it would take a LOT of continuous highway driving for this issue to come up.

As you know, driven lots with low pressure in Moab. Just really bad MPGs

SROR/AKA 2BAD
07-18-2008, 06:31 AM
low tire pressure on the street= "the firestone effect"

it is very unsafe to do this.

air them to proper pressure and send me the difference in gas money,PLEASE!