PDA

View Full Version : Back from Vacation...

FJBen
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Just got back from "mostly" vacation. We had a funeral stop to start it out. My wife's grandma passed away so we started out there going to Hemingford, Nebraska...yeah...where? :confused:

Stayed out at the family farm, camped in the popup (as to avoid the rest of the drama in the house) :D Took in some GREAT fishing in my bro-in-laws secret spot buried on the property...

On the way up, we stopped by and went into the Wind Cave in custer state park. Took an hour tour, 244 feet under ground. Very cool. There is 80 miles of caves at that spot :eek:

Next we went to Sylvan Lake, South Dakota...Custer state park, black hills. Camped up there, took the kids to rushmore, alpine slide, swimming and just camping. We met our friends from Greeley up there on thursday afternoon and just had a great time.

Weather was in the mid 70's, no mosquito's, lots of campfire, smores, beers and guitar playing.

I only spent around $220ish in fuel going from Greeley to Hemingford, NE, to Custer SD, and back. Got around 13ish MPG towing the popup with my wife's stock 80 on 285's and packed solid. That was as 75mph. Before we left, I took off the rear spoiler and factory roof rack.

The way back through wyoming was ugly :eek: I won't go that way again. :lmao: The kids were great the whole trip, and since I put the overhead DVD player in, they were completely quiet driving :thumb: It took about 5 hours to get home and 1 gas stop.

Here's a few pics...nothing real exciting, just some good fun. The 80 at Lake Sylvan Campground, us at Rushmore, and my daughter at the windcave, my youngest and i flyin' down the Apline Slide.

corsair23
07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
The way back through wyoming was ugly :eek: I won't go that way again. :lmao:

Looks like a great trip considering the circumstances...Did you hit Devils Tower in Wyoming on the way back? And, is it safe to assume that you traveled down through the wonderful Thunder Basis National Grassland area on the way down through WY? :D

I'm convinced that they had to name it something spectacular to get people to even consider driving down through there, expecting to see something...anything :hill:

Hulk
07-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Cool. My wife and I were considering taking the kids to Mt. Rushmore for a long weekend soon.

corsair23
07-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Cool. My wife and I were considering taking the kids to Mt. Rushmore for a long weekend soon.

Best time to go is Memorial Day weekend...Seriously! We were up there a couple years ago (maybe 3 now) and there was hardly anyone around. Apparently the "tourist season" doesn't start till after that according to the locals. The weather was great to boot :thumb:

Ben, how were the crowds up there this time of the year? We'd like to go back and maybe do the popup camper thing as well vs. hotel rooms this time around.

FJBen
07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
The crowds weren't too bad. Most of the camping sites were full though. We had reserved ours in january I think, so we were good to go.

Yeah, Wyoming was horrid.

We went through "lusk" and then towards douglass...then cheyenne...:( It was like prison. The only high-point was that Glendo looks like a nice place for a lake camp.

The pop-up was fun, and much cheaper than the hotel. Spots with electricity were like $22ish a night as opposed to $90+tax for a hotel.

wesintl
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
cool, Nice trip!

corsair23
07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, Wyoming was horrid.

We went through "lusk" and then towards douglass...then cheyenne...:( It was like prison. The only high-point was that Glendo looks like a nice place for a lake camp.

I work with a lady that grew up in Lusk...She says it is a nice place to be FROM :lmao:

We took that route up to SD on our trip and honestly, as bad as it is it is better than the Thunder Basin National Grassland route if you can believe that. Unless of course you like flat, flat, and more flat...