PDA

View Full Version : New Rig to the Family, now I need some 4Runner Advice

teamextreme
07-15-2008, 12:52 PM
We finally got my son his first ride, an 89 4Runner, and being a 40 guy I need to find some new resources. I'm pretty familiar with most things 4Runner as there is a trickle down effect on these websites, but I need to get some info on parts sources and web-sources for indepth info on the 4Runner. We will slowly be striving for Red Chili greatness, but that will be a long, long time in the making. For starters I have these questions that hopefully some of you guys can shed some light on.

-What are some good tech info websites specific to the 4Runner/Pickup? I've checked IH8mud and Pirate and they have great tech write ups on Cruisers (Mud) and general 4x, axles, etc (Bill Vista, Pirate), but nothing on 4Runners.

-What are the best junk yards? I've always gone to Colo Auto & Parts off Sante Fe or Pull & Save when I needed generic stuff (obviously not Cruiser things, York compressor, PS conversion stuff, etc.). Do these places have decent selections of 4Runner/PU's. What about Toyota specific places like Jim's or Yota Yard? Anything good or bad to say about them? It seems like the "specialty" yards sometimes don't treat you right as far as price or service.

-For door removal do most guys just remove the 4 bolts that hold them on, or is there a trick setup to replace the hinge with some sort of quick release pin?

-What's the fix for power windows (front and rear) that struggle to get the window back up? Power windows appear to be a common failure, but it looks like the rear is usually a relay or connector problem. We don't have this in the rear, the motor works, it just can barely push the window up from the very bottom and needs some help. Driver window same situation, except the hard part is at the very top. I'm thinking it might just need some new wear pieces in the track and/or a good cleaning. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help.

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Forums:
risingsun4x4.com (look for posts by Red_Chili)
yotatech.com
marlincrawler.com
4x4wire.com

Suppliers:
Marlin Crawler
4Crawler
Trail Gear
Northwest Offroad
Marlin Crawler
Downey Offroad
All-Pro
Front Range Fabrication
Marlin Crawler

Local Junk yards:
Jim's Got Parts (previously Jim ran Yota Yard, but you know, divorce, whatever)
Yota Yard (still decent selection, she's just sometimes irrationally proud of her parts)

Yes, both are going to be on the high side of used parts, but like you say they are specialty yards. A pick-n-pull might be cheaper, but may or may not have what you need, when you need it. So sure, you pay for that. Shrug. Jim used to give you a few bucks credit if you take in the old stuff you pull off (like bumpers, bench seats, etc.), but I haven't tried at his new place.

Power windows? Eat another bowl of Wheaties and crank harder. If them's those crazy electric dealies, haven't seen many minis up close that had them.

ATLR
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Its not done yet but check out my new web site http://yodaexchange.com/ It has all the clubs, yards and more

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Oooo, Ooooo, I'm first! :lmao:
[no I'm not. 9751 Dangit, slow typer.]

We finally got my son his first ride, an 89 4Runner, and being a 40 guy I need to find some new resources. I'm pretty familiar with most things 4Runner as there is a trickle down effect on these websites, but I need to get some info on parts sources and web-sources for indepth info on the 4Runner. We will slowly be striving for Red Chili greatness, but that will be a long, long time in the making. For starters I have these questions that hopefully some of you guys can shed some light on.

-What are some good tech info websites specific to the 4Runner/Pickup? I've checked IH8mud and Pirate and they have great tech write ups on Cruisers (Mud) and general 4x, axles, etc (Bill Vista, Pirate), but nothing on 4Runners.
4x4wire.com, YotaTech.com, and right here. Pirate is pretty extreme. Plus you need eye bleach and memory wash. I have not found IH8MUD to be a very good resource. Nice folks generally, if you stay out of chat :rolleyes:

-What are the best junk yards? I've always gone to Colo Auto & Parts off Sante Fe or Pull & Save when I needed generic stuff (obviously not Cruiser things, York compressor, PS conversion stuff, etc.). Do these places have decent selections of 4Runner/PU's. What about Toyota specific places like Jim's or Yota Yard? Anything good or bad to say about them? It seems like the "specialty" yards sometimes don't treat you right as far as price or service.
Easy one, Toyota Jim has the best prices (http://www.jimsgotparts.com/), and YotaYard is often convenient (though sometimes pricey) (www.yotayard.com). Oleg sometimes has stuff but usually not in your era.

-For door removal do most guys just remove the 4 bolts that hold them on, or is there a trick setup to replace the hinge with some sort of quick release pin? I've seen it done both ways. The pin option, though seemingly convenient, is not much better than using 2 bolts into the door rather than four, and just unbolting them, and the pin usually introduces slop unless it is prezactly the right size.

-What's the fix for power windows (front and rear) that struggle to get the window back up? Power windows appear to be a common failure, but it looks like the rear is usually a relay or connector problem. We don't have this in the rear, the motor works, it just can barely push the window up from the very bottom and needs some help. Driver window same situation, except the hard part is at the very top. I'm thinking it might just need some new wear pieces in the track and/or a good cleaning. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help.
See 4Crawler.com for lots of tricks for maintenance, overhauls, "Cheap Tricks", and the like. He also sells some hard to find maintenance items like contacts for the starter and alternator, and everything he builds is first quality and affordable. Roger Brown is also the TLCA technical editor, coincidentally.

Let me know how I may help, I am always up for advice giving. Just ask my kids. :lmao:

[edit] I just realized you have power windows. That introduces some entertainment around removing the doors. There are some mighty fine quick-disconnect connectors out there, but you will have to investigate.

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Oooo, Ooooo, I'm first! :lmao:
Dude, first? Do you type with one finger or what?

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 01:25 PM

wesintl
07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Dude, first? Do you type with one finger or what?

2, one on each hand :eek:

That was pretty funny tho:bowdown:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
w@ cn I sA, ll deez Wrinklies nvr lrnD 2 typ n txt vry fst.

http://www.capitalcitycog.com/images/Slow_Computer.gif

Red_Chili
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I would say "one finger this", but of course I am not that kinda guy....

:hill:

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I would say "one finger this", but of course I am not that kinda guy....
LOL! Now don't go all Mr. Rogers on us, that just ain't gonna get any traction. Man, this is a brutal crowd.

AxleIke
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Looks like everyone here has hit the major stuff.

I see you are thinking about removing doors.

My suggestion is half doors. No doors on a 4runner does not look good, like it does on a 40. Looks hacked and silly. Bill has a nice set of half doors, and you should be able to pick up a second set of doors at the yard for 50 bucks or so.

just my .02

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 03:20 PM
My suggestion is half doors.
Now tell 'em about tube doors. I know you are a big fan. :-)

Rock Dog
07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
What Mods were you planning on starting with?
I am just starting to build an 85 for my brother and am starting by converting it from Auto to manual so i can throw a Marlin in it... :rolleyes:

AxleIke
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Now tell 'em about tube doors. I know you are a big fan. :-)

Ugh. Better no doors than tube doors.

Anyway, just a suggestion, and a chance to give props to bill's truck since he was getting beat up in this thread :D

DaveInDenver
07-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Ugh. Better no doors than tube doors.

Anyway, just a suggestion, and a chance to give props to bill's truck since he was getting beat up in this thread :D
Red Chili is worth the mention, no doubt. Über nice truck.

Red_Chili
07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Aw, shucks...

Building those half doors taught me a great deal about welding sheet metal.

Like, I can't. Very well at least.
But I am pretty good with a hammer and grinder and putty afterwards, and bedliner covers a multitude of sins...
:rolleyes:

I agree, running a Toyota truck or 4Runner without doors screams ghetto.
Plus your lunch rolls out.

AxleIke
07-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Okay. Not cool Bill. My retinas have been scared. Awesome. :(

DaveInDenver
07-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Okay. Not cool Bill. My retinas have been scared. Awesome. :(
Yeah, here we were having a mini truck moment and then we gotta look at mostly nekkid oily dudes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but yowza!

Red_Chili
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
:lmao:
Here ya go, Isaac:

Red_Chili
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM

teamextreme
07-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. The oily dudes will leave me traumatized for the majority of the day, however. Thanks for that.

I took a trip to Jim's last night to pick up at least a power window switch to get the windows working. They had one, $25, which seemed a little steep, but I got it anyway. Then it turns out the switch I bought was bad. At least with a switch installed on the pass. side now (even a bad one) the pass. side window can at least be operated from the driver's side now. The motor has a hard time getting the window up though. I'm pretty much convinced we should just convert to manual windows. It will be interesting to see how they handle this bad switch return. Won't be able to do it til next week though.

Here's another question...to convert the windows to manual, can I just get new internals, hand crank, etc and use the same doors, or should I just get a whole new set of complete doors? They quoted me $120 each for complete doors, btw. We do want to make some half doors, but it would be cheaper to start with a set with trashed uppers from a roll over. We could convert the existing ones though if we get another complete set of crank window doors.

As far as mod's planned, the first one is just going to be getting it fixed up and repairing all the little things that need attention, like windows, and dome light that doesn't work, and rear glass that has a difficult time going up. Then it's interior, tearing out all the carpet and side panels. Fabbing some side panels out of sheet steel and cutting in speakers and herculining the whole interior. Then some seat covers, a tool box, and a tuffy console so the top can come off. I'm going to have to disagree with the door fashionistas. No doors looks sweet on pretty much any rig, IMO. It doesn't scream ghetto, it screams I wheel my junk!

After that, it will be an SAS and some sliders. Probably have to do gearing and a locker when the SAS is done. That will kill the budget, but it's the right time to do it. Everything else can happen as time and money allows, such as cage, paint, bumpers, winch, t-case gears and/or double t-case.

I just have to remember it's the kid's truck, not mine, and he has to do the work (with my guidance) to learn some things, and come up with the money for parts. I think I get more into building this than him sometimes. It's cool to have a new canvas to work on and I've always dug mini's. That was option B when I bought my 40 years ago.

I definitely give props to Bill's truck (that's why I mentioned it in the OP). Ever since I saw the original on a Red Cone run a couple of years ago that's been our inspiration or goal for how this truck should look. It won't look nearly that pretty, ever, but I like the design. Someday I'll have to checkout Chili 2.

4RunrFTW
07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I find that the FAQ in the truck and 4 runner forum on pirate has quite a bit of useful info, it's just hard to parse through, and you should prepare for lots of smack-talk interspersed with good info. These days, it seems to be more talk than walk, but the FAQ has still helped me on a number of occasions. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

Red_Chili
07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Jim will stand behind his switch.
I think it would be easiest to go with new manual doors, but then, I've not done that. Really, it shouldn't be too hard to take the door apart and fix it good.

You may want to get doors with a good upper frame for your half doors. Gives you somewhere to hang the soft windows...

I made my side panels out of plywood, and put access doors in them. Covered them with Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet. They are quiet, solid, and offer great storage. I think making side panels out of steel might make the thing sound like a tin can! :eek:

Let me know if I can help in any way.

DaveInDenver
07-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I think it would be easiest to go with new manual doors, but then, I've not done that. Really, it shouldn't be too hard to take the door apart and fix it good.
With the exception of an actually failing motor, all doors have regulators and tracks that the window has to travel through. So converting to manual crank windows won't necessarily be the solution if the felt is gone or the frames are bent, which causes the glass to jam in the track. Open the doors and fix the mechanicals. If the motor is done, then maybe it's easier to just find a used motor than it will be to swap all the parts. Or not, dunno. I can tell you that manual windows also fail and they are not necessarily all that cheap (for good used or new) or easy to replace the regulators in either.

RockRunner
07-16-2008, 02:37 PM
looks like most people have gotten most of your questions answered as far as where to get parts and info on the web.

My 2 cents, buy some doors on CL or here that are manual. Keep the electric ones to cut into half ones. Bill is right on telling you to keep the frame on the doors, I just got done making my own door covers like Bill's. Huge difference when driving in the cold even with the top off.

Rear window problem could be related to a rusted track. My truck had the same problem, still sort of does. I took it apart cleaned as much as I could and greased/oiled all I could. It works pretty well but still looking for a new tailgate.

I also recommend plywood for the sides, my old runner had rear steel panels and besides the sound they got hotter than........well you know when they were in the sun with the top off or on.

Before buying parts from a yard check here and CL first. I got a ton of parts on both sites. I will be selling some stuff during rally, another great source, as will a bunch of other folks.

If you need some help or ???? just let me know.

leiniesred
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I too have a 1989 4runner.

I have vinyl covered plywood rear panels. 6x9's sound much better.
I like pirate for how-to stuff on the mini trucks.

The window switches get dusty. Like I tell my wife, "Hit the button like you MEAN it."
then the window switch works. It is probably just dirty.

Craigslist and the junkyards are the best part sources. Lots of parts interchange on the mini trucks.

Take the top off and enjoy it!

Romer
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned Oleg and IRBIS off road yet. Oleg is feeling better and back at work and their shop specializies in 4runners like Slee does 80/100 series Land Cruisers. Slee would also be a resource here as well.

Look at Yuri's Red Chile eater (I love that name)

Red_Chili
07-25-2008, 03:51 PM
So far I've been able to keep ahead of the toothy maw of Yuri's truck... :lmao:

teamextreme
07-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a couple recommendations for plywood over steel for the interior rear panels. Plywood would definitely be cheaper, easier to work with, easier to procure, and potentially sound better, but I'm still concerned about weather resistance and mounting. I'll be herculining (or similar) whatever we use, so the outside will be ok, but do you paint or herculine the backside as well? Also, how thick do you use? Seems like using thick enough for strength would end up causing fitment issues inside, ie; interference with seats folding down, etc. I would guess 3/8" or 1/2" would be needed, but that seems awful thick to be installing down the sides.

BTW, the top got pulled and it's maiden voyage made to Chinamen's a week ago. The truck and the boy did great, only needed a strap on the last v-wedge obstacle.

Any recommendations for neoprene or similar waterproof seat covers for the rear split seats? Someone recommended Cabela's, but they didn't have any that would fit the split rear bench. Nor did several other places I checked.

Romer
07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
The truck and the boy did great, only needed a strap on the last v-wedge obstacle.

The boy or the truck:rolleyes:

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a couple recommendations for plywood over steel for the interior rear panels. Plywood would definitely be cheaper, easier to work with, easier to procure, and potentially sound better, but I'm still concerned about weather resistance and mounting. I'll be herculining (or similar) whatever we use, so the outside will be ok, but do you paint or herculine the backside as well? Also, how thick do you use? Seems like using thick enough for strength would end up causing fitment issues inside, ie; interference with seats folding down, etc. I would guess 3/8" or 1/2" would be needed, but that seems awful thick to be installing down the sides.

I used 3/8" and covered it with Home Depot gray indoor/outdoor carpet, also wrapped around the edges so it was pinched by the install. No squeaks, no rattles. I also used stainless oval-head phillips screws with oval-head washers, and nylocks inside. Stays put, looks nice. Also cut in some access doors for side panel storage, and used some slick flush pushbutton cabinet latches my wife recommended (she is a woodworker). I will show them to you sometime.

I did not herc the inside, but I generally protect the rear with a softtop anyway. Hercing both sides would certainly seal it. Use outdoor rated plywood.

leiniesred
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I think I used 3/8ths marine plywood on mine. I had to route our around the bolt heads for the seat latches. I used oval head screws and those funny washers under the heads to spread the load a bit. The red tablecloth is attached with 3m spray adhesive and wrapped around the backside to get pinched like chili's I guess. I cut the access holes a size that lets me use the stock rear access panel covers. I remember spending some time on the rear deck lamp too.