PDA

View Full Version : Fuel lines

MDH33
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I crunched the hard fuel line on my 40 a few weeks ago and I need to replace it. It's no longer available from Toyota, so I figured I can bend and flare a new one.

Question: Can I just use appropriately sized diameter brake line for this? Seems like the same steel and thickness and I haven't found any generic steel "fuel line" locally, only brake line.

Rezarf
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Martin- I would think that would be just fine. You can get long lengths of the rubber style tubing... it is reinforced and makes routing it a lot easier. Can you splice in a spot where it is crunched or do you need a totally new piece.

Drew

MDH33
07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Martin- I would think that would be just fine. You can get long lengths of the rubber style tubing... it is reinforced and makes routing it a lot easier. Can you splice in a spot where it is crunched or do you need a totally new piece.

Drew

We did a trail repair by splicing in one of the charcoal canister tubes where it the hard line was damaged. It's not in a good place to have a splice, so I would rather just re-do the hardline which will allow me to keep it nice and close to the frame rail.

I'll pick up some brake line tonight and give bending and flaring a try. Thanks!

Shark Bait
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Martin, I have a set of the fuel lines if you decide you want original stuff. :)

MDH33
07-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Martin, I have a set of the fuel lines if you decide you want original stuff. :)

Thanks Chris! What year are they from?

Here's a pic of the one I need:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/337531358_92sBs-L.jpg

It's colored red. It goes along the frame between the fuel tank and fuel filter hoses blue

Shark Bait
07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I have the ones in this picture:

http://www.sor.com/shared/image/168a2.gif

MDH33
07-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks Chris. I'm going to try to make one first. Probably cheaper than driving down the hill and back with $4 gallon gas and 13 mpg. :o