PDA

View Full Version : does anyone really monitor CB ch. 9?

CardinalFJ60
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
So, I grew up in the 70's and all our vehicles always had CBs. My Dad was always careful to tell me not to transmit on channel 9...unless it's an emergency.

Do any Law enforcement or fire depts. actually still monitor that channel? And the reality is, if I'm out in the middle of nowwhere, I highly doubt there's someone within a couple miles listening to that channel.

Just Curious...and yeah, Ham IS in the future.

:cheers:

nakman
07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
that's a funny point- I could see it being most useful out on a boat, where the transmission can bounce around a little more and you may actually reach someone on shore. But up wheelin in the hills, yeah unless you can reach 'em with a 3-wood you're probably not going to reach 'em on CB. :)

nuclearlemon
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
no. broke down in the 60 in a bad spot on the highway, so figured i would buck up and pay for the state patrol to tow me...tried ch9 relentlessly with not a single response.

wesintl
07-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I've heard some small communities with a Dept. like Andy and Barney still do. The problem is the range of cb is what, maybe 4 miles? So, chances are you won't pick up anyone on it.