PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal

subzali
07-24-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking after the Triple Bypass I am going to need to replace my rear main seal, as I'm pretty sure that's what's been leaking on some of the trails during and since Moab. I can check my side cover and a couple others, but I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from. And my t-case is now pumping oil into my tranny. And I am getting pretty close, IIRC, to needing a new clutch. And I need to replace the front output bearing on the t-case. So that's the list.

Question is, if I fashion me up a tranny and t-case mount for the jack is it easy enough to drop them out and reassemble while in the truck?

I vaguely remember having to do some of this stuff on Timm's, it seems like it was kindof a pain to align the tranny through the clutch and bellhousing etc. to get the bolts started, so I'm not sure how well that's going to work underneath the truck. I know I could pull the engine, but am not too keen on that idea, though all things considered I suppose it's easier and I have to replace a motor mount anyway. Maybe I'll talk to my dad and see if an engine hoist is allowed in the barn :D

wesintl
07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
pull the tranny hump and drop the 2 out. On my latest 40 I put the tranny back in then attached the xfter once the tranny was in. I've done it both ways, about the same but attaching the xfer was nice because I did it all myself with no jacks. It's easy to replace a motor mount. I dunno if i'd pull motor and everything to do it. People say it's easier but I guess I like doing it the hard way :twocents:

only use a toyota rms...

subzali
07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
only use a toyota rms...

:confused:

DaveInDenver
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
:confused:
Use the OEM (r)ear (m)ain (s)eal.

wesintl
07-24-2008, 02:08 PM
- --- -.-- --- - .- / --- . -- / .-. . .- .-. / -- .- .. -. / ... . .- .-..

subzali
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Now you're just showing off...:p:

MDH33
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Matt, I'll help you out with dropping the trans and TC. I need to do the same thing for my 4 speed swap including the rear main seal and clutch. I wouldn't mind seeing how it's done before jumping into mine.

nuclearlemon
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
skip the tranny jack idea if you have acherry picker. easier to manuever on a cherry picker. go through tranny tunnel like recommended above. yes, it will be a beatch, but can be done. two people minimum required.

MDH33
07-24-2008, 03:12 PM
The more I think about this... the more I want to take the body off the frame, pull the drive train, clean up the frame, swap in the trans and tc, fix the rust and paint the body while it's apart... :o so much to do and so little time and $ to do it.

subzali
07-24-2008, 03:12 PM
It's probably a month away at least...

subzali
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
The more I think about this... the more I want to take the body off the frame, pull the drive train, clean up the frame, swap in the trans and tc, fix the rust and paint the body while it's apart... :o so much to do and so little time and $ to do it.

Famous last words before a 10year restoration project...

MDH33
07-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Where is Ian anyway? ;) :bolt:

RicardoJM
07-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Matt, when you get around to doing this I'm up for lending a hand.

CardinalFJ60
07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Where is Ian anyway? ;) :bolt:

:lmao:

he lives in my 'hood...haven't seen nor heard from him in a loooooong time.

Rzeppa
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM

Hey! I resemble that remark :-)

Rzeppa
07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Back to the original question, having done it both ways, stabbing the tranny has always been a chore whenever I've done one. Easiest is when the whole mess is on the floor, or when the body's off as I did on my 76 10 year project:-)

X2 on Ige's comment, Cherry picker works better than floor jack, although I've been successful with 2 floor jacks: one for the tranny and one for the lower part of the t-case. There's a bunch of tricks in this job, any way you work it, it's a bunch of work.

Happy cruisin'!

Jacket
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Sheesh - maybe we need a tranny swap/RMS party. Or at least a rotating pool of helpers for everyone. I've probably got the same job coming up, and so I assume that if I bother to pull the tranny, it would be a good time for a RMS job. That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing...

corsair23
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing...

:eek:

That is REALLY funny out of context so I won't even touch it...However, you may want to take a peak at my updated sign line :D

Red_Chili
07-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Matt, you are more than welcome to borrow my engine hoist.