PDA

View Full Version : Why I like this club

farnhamstj
07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I get to hang out with and meet different people with different backgrounds and different opinions.

I get to safely wheel with an experienced group of friendly people.

I get to talk cruisers and camping.

What's your reason?

Groucho
07-26-2008, 11:34 AM
I have several.

One thing is that with so many people trying their best to make ends meet nowadays, it is nice to have a place where we can get together and share our free time with others. The common thread started as Toyota 4WD, but that has expanded into so much more.

I like only having to participate if I want to, not because I have to. I feel rewarded when club members get to enjoy being part of the club and its activities. If the club's members and visitors do an event or activity that gives them something to be happy about and enjoy, I get a sense of joy from that.

I also like the fact that we take ownership in our club. Not one time has someone been left all alone to fend for themselves. I know that if I was in need of something from a club member, I would get it. And the opposite is equally true. If someone needs something from me, I am more than willing to give. If Romer needs a new AC compressor for his drive in Death Valley, he gets it, and I wouldn't think his request is silly. Someone wise in the club once said "being in the club is like being in the mafia. You know that you always have your 'family'. If someone outside the 'family' tries to mess with someone in the 'family', it is not tolerated. Now if we as 'family' want to mess with folks inside the 'family', we can. Just keep the 'family' integrity there." Smart guy. ;)

The best part of the club for me? The people, of course!

ttubb
07-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Since my first encounter with Rising Sun at Moab 2007, I have been impressed with the attitudes and integrity of the members. My first run with the group was Black Bear 07 (Ouray/Telluride) and everyone was helpful, friendly and constructive. This is a well organized, professional group of folks, dedicated to making the sport better and helping newbies.

An example is the use of 2 meter radios to enhance safety and communication. Based on my observations of the Rising Sun group, I got my license, a radio and now understand the importance of this tool in my off-roading.

I am very proud to be a part of this group and humbled by the acceptance of my membership. I hope I can contribute to the good of the organization. Terry

Rock Dog
07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I first joined the club many years ago to get a discount on parts at Burt Toyota.
Yes my intentions were purely selfish and financial.

In a very short time however i came to realize it is the people that make this club so great. I really like Nathaniels analogy....
Faces have changed over the years, and people have come and gone, but this continues to be one of the greatest groups of people i know.....:risingsun

Shark Bait
07-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I know it probably sounds kind of sappy, but every now and then I think about what the club was like when I joined in 1993, and what the club has become and is now, and it makes me feel proud. It's a pretty vibrant group; a happening thing. We respect each other and are there for our fellow club members. This is pretty cool and I'm glad to still be a part of it. :thumb:

Hulk
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
It's been a bunch of things for me over the years. When I moved from Illinois, I thought I knew how to wheel, but I didn't. I learned that from the club. When I wanted to start building my rig, the club was a good source of advice and local vendors. Nowadays, it's my main circle of friends, on the trail, at meetings, at the post-meetings, and here on the forum.