PDA

View Full Version : WTB 22r or 22re header/performance parts

PatrolMan
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Looking to give my 87 4Runner a little more hp. It is dog slow but runs smooth. Figured I would start with a header. Anyone have one? Any other performance goodies? Thanks!

Evrgrnmtnman
07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
May I suggest...

PatrolMan
07-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think the :Princess: would swing for that. Just trying to add a little guts to it. Doesn't need to be a screamer at all. My truck has considerably more power with the 22r. Not sure why the 22re is slower with comparable miles and gears/tires. Maybe the weight...

If I had my choice, I would make a Supra swap, but that is $ too.

Evrgrnmtnman
07-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Now that's a nice engine!
I can do 65mph up 1-70 both from the Genessee side and coming up the back of Floyd Hill. K&N, Thorley Header, 2 1/4 Exhaust,...10 degree advance.........
That's in my 88 22re......

PatrolMan
07-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Do you know what you weigh in at? My 4Runner has goodies on it, but so does my truck. I don't think the 4Runner could go much over 40 either way on I70. Looking to help that a little with some minor mods. Figured I would look used before I look to buy new.

Evrgrnmtnman
07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Do you know what you weigh in at? My 4Runner has goodies on it, but so does my truck. I don't think the 4Runner could go much over 40 either way on I70. Looking to help that a little with some minor mods. Figured I would look used before I look to buy new.

Don't know! Next time I go up to the Dumont area, I'll stop by the truck stop and get weighed......I wonder if they will.... I think they weigh about 3,200lbs minus me!

PatrolMan
07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I think my 87 truck weighs in about the same. The scales at the scrap yard must be off since they calculate it at about 4,200. Will have to weigh in the 4Runner and see what it comes in at. Keep track of what fuel level you are at since 15 gallons would weigh in around 100 pounds!

PatrolMan
07-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I have gone over scales at a local landscaping supply as well and I think it was 3,200. I have put on a heavier front bumper and the 8274. Not much else has really changed. Will have to pay more attention... The 4Runner obviously outweighs the truck though. SO, anyone have any performance pieces? I have a K&N to put on it. Any thoughts on that? Haven't tried it yet. Was thinking clean the intake, put on a header, adjust valves, and maybe adjustable cam... Hate to spend big $ on hokey stuff that won't make any sort of difference.

Nick F.
07-27-2008, 01:13 AM
I have LCE headers and a comp cam on my 22re. The thing is still a dog. I'm not sure if the performance gain is worth the added noise and loppy idle. PO did it so I can't compare it to stock.

PatrolMan
07-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I certainly don't need a pocket rocket, but just need something that has a little more oomph. Not sure what my hp is now at 225,000 miles. I just know it doesn't have enough power to climb hills around town from a stop. Can't keep up with highway speeds either. Was hoping someone had some parts laying around that I could tinker with before getting serious about mods. It has that AC-on feeling all the time right now!

I have a Taurus 2-speed fan that I might tinker with as the radiator needs replaced. Had thought about the KN since someone gave it to me. Not sure they would really improve anything so held off on that...

Maybe I should just fire up the Scout?! No more slow-ness!:rant: