PDA

View Full Version : project nuclearmarshmellow

nuclearlemon
07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
well, it has begun.

was sick all day friday and again on sunday, but managed to spend all day sat on the marshmellow.

got the "new" radiator in (old one was a little plugged looking and a guru thinks this may be part of my problem).

new oem thermostat and seal (to replace napa special that was there).

replaced one of the lower rad hoses (both actually looked ok and would've done both, but no one had the block to pipe hose).

replaced one of the tranny cooler hoses cause it was soft.

did a bunch of scrubbing on rubber parts in an attempt to make them rubber again.

bypassed the rear heater (the pipes under the rig scare me and i don't use it anyways).

cleaned up and painted the horn mounting bracket and fixed a broken wire

managed to get a little bit more of the crap scrubbed from left headlight

was hoping to get the starter rebuilt and plugs changed out, but didn't get to it. next weekend i guess

Jacket
07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't think nuclearmarshmellow will fit on a vanity plate :hill:

treerootCO
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Good on ya! The piece of mind you gain from fixing all the known issues at home is well worth it.

wesintl
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Is it running any cooler ige?

nuclearlemon
07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
haven't really had time to test. this weekend will tell when i have to drive to leadville for the state meeting. i did run errands last night after work and it was steady at 184.

now, i just gotta figure out why it keeps popping c.e. lights. popped p0420 twice, then two p0401s, was fine for the gtr, but last night, it popped a p0401 again last night on the way to run errands, and another p0420 on the way home.

could my hideously restrictive freakishly stupid p.o. custom exhaust be causing issues?

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't think nuclearmarshmellow will fit on a vanity plate :hill:
No, but NukePuff will.

nuclearlemon
08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
sorry, personalized plates are beyond financials right now;)

yesterday, i got the starter in and pulled the front shaft to replace a ujoint.

got the ujoint done this morning, changed the front pinion seal. lots of wire brushing to the underside and the driveshaft and a quick coat of smoke gray (sorry, best color i had, otherwise it would've been black).

got the second rear sway bar extension made and bolted up, also...this list is growing shorter. :)

but it's still really long:(

nuclearlemon
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Is it running any cooler ige?

yep...going to leadville, got it to 200 once after pushing it on floyd hill...otherwise, 184 unless on a hill, then up to the low-mid 190s. did go to 198 coming back up to eisenhower, but i was running 60 the whole way up. was totally awesome to actually pass people going up the hill:thumb:

bh4rnnr
08-08-2008, 10:21 PM
sorry, personalized plates are beyond financials right now;) (

I'll chip in 10$ for some presonal plates.

nuclearlemon
08-17-2008, 05:30 PM
my plans this weekend were to clean the interior, including pulling the carpet and pressure washing it in an attempt to make it clean enough that i'm not afraid to touch it; do the knuckles and begin to extend the rear frame so i can get the "new" bumper/spare carrier on.

then it rained. denied

and it rained. denied

and....yeah....you know the story.

i did get the interior gutted. had to cut one bolt on the rear seats since the "welded" nut is no longer welded...not sure what i'm gonna do there.

got the carpet pressure washed....it looks good wet, we'll see about dry, but dry is a long ways away with this weather. also got the plastic pieces scrubbed.

since i was denied on the interior, i figured i'd start on the front end, planning on one side at a time in case it rained again. got it all apart, only managing to snap one really rusty bolt on the backside of the knuckle housing, another was already broken. i have a thread repair kit, but oh yeah, i can't find it. denied again.

go to put in the fax seal, only to find out the parts i have must be for a 40/60. i had a friend request the quote for the parts like two months ago and called them in off the quote by part number, but i also had him quote some fj60 stuff, so i'm guessing that's where the confusion was...:banghead:

fortunately, in my 80 kit from a bunch of y'all, i had 80 axle seals (thanks guys!), unfortunately, i didn't have a correct felt kit, and, while i was hoping to not have to do them, the trunnion bearings are on their way to worn, so...denied again. i did manage to get the hub bearings packed (interesting note to those that own multiple models: 40/60 outer wheel seal is the same, as are the two knuckle gaskets. the hub body gasket will also work, it just isn't notched like the 80).

nuclearlemon
08-17-2008, 05:32 PM
i also did a 6hp mod. what is said mod, you ask...with a pick, i took out the 40 extra pounds of silt and sand that had made my vented rotor into a non vented rotor.:rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
08-17-2008, 05:34 PM
finally, i got rid of another spot of sketchy p.o. wiring:rant:. at least the wires were soldered (and rather stouty regardless of how it looks:rolleyes:). the wires are now "routed" and have actual connectors.

Inukshuk
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Cool pics Ige. They'll help if I ever tear into mine like this.

Romer
08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice work Ige

Beater
08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
nasty

why not use that duplicolor spray on bedliner for the back and forgo the carpet?

I have fallen in like with that stuff. I sprayed my fzr frame and components with it, and it has held up real well. needs a long cure time though...

plus, it's cheap. 7.00 a can.

nakman
08-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah, or why not spray the whole thing? Would be like Shorty's 40 (his is red), but whatever color... then you could have that hose-it-out 80 everyone's always dreamed of...

And I yanked my rear carpet a few years ago, truck has smelled better ever sense. Plus the drawers & junk that get bolted down through the floor are much more secure without that big pad & carpet "washer" back there.

nuclearlemon
08-22-2008, 09:41 PM
used the duplicolor in my 40 and not impressed. plus, this is my "luxury" ride, so i'd kinda like to keep a rig with carpet.;)

weather and side gig permitting, i'll get the carpet in this weekend. $7 at the pressure washer the first time, then a soaking in tide and another $10 at the pressure washer. almost looks great, so definitely worth it and definitely cheaper than new carpet. you almost can't tell where the big stain was.

nuclearlemon
08-22-2008, 09:45 PM
also got the second knuckle rebuilt. this one went much smoother than the driver's side. (i had one bolt that holds the felt already snapped off and i snapped one, so they took, some work..the other four bolts were so rusty that i had to replace them). had to do the 6hp mod on this side too;)

next on the front end is to grind out the ring around the drain plug and finally change out the fluid.

bigbluefj
08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
ahhh the joy's of the cruiser...

nuclearlemon
09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
the interior is back together...looks so much better.

also got the driving lights wired back up (the wires were disconnected when i got it), cleared out the smashed drain plug ring from around the plug and swapped the front diff juice with fresh synthetic.

slowly but surely...

Crash
09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Good job, Ige!

nuclearlemon
09-03-2008, 07:49 AM
tore into my old ps pump last night. everything looked ok and measured out ok, so i gave it a shot rebuilding it. looks like just in time cause the pump steve loaned me is just starting to leak. so, in a few months when i get around to it (probably when it's 10 degrees and snowing out;)), we'll see if my pump actually is salvagable and if i can rebuild em:D if so, i'll be passing romer's old pump on to whomever needs is

nuclearlemon
09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
got a little bit more done. installed new pvc and grommet, also had to do hose since the old one ripped in half when i tried to get the pvc valve out, then adjusted the tranny cable.

from there, it was on to operation scary exhaust. while i'm a bit nervous about my skills welding a seam sealed and in a hard to get to spot, i decided i just had to get it over with, so out came the sawzall and the scary chunk of exhaust.

for now, i'll weld in a less restrictive 2 1/4 chunk of straight to a small piece of flex in place of whatever the f...this was.

nuclearlemon
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
this was all on the same side as the slider that was welded at the wrong angle, had too big of a kickout hoop, and fell off, so i figured now was a good time to get the "mount" for the slider cut off. still need to grind what's left down.

also figured i'd take a look at the one rust spot that was on the body since it seemed like it has grown exponentially in the last few months. it has.

nuclearlemon
09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
temp exhaust ain't pretty, but it is done. much straighter path and 1/4" larger diameter so that hopefully will help the engine breath. and it still doesn't hang down any more than the p.o.s elbows on the old exhaust, there's just more there. i'm not too concerned since i won't be gettting much wheeling in for a while and it is a temporary setup. new exhaust from the headers back is pretty high on my list.

did find out that of all my local auto parts stores, advance has the best choices for exhaust (and even theirs sucks), no one carries just straight exhaust tubing (it all has the flare at the end, which just means more stuff to play with the welder on ;)), flex pipe only comes with one saddle clamp, and contrary to the proper way to install flex, you can weld it on when you realize you can't find any of the saddle clamps that you know you have somewhere :D

used a flattened corner bracket to make a support to the frame, also not pretty, but now my exhaust doesn't shake like it use to either.

Hulk
09-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey, looks good! Woot!

nuclearlemon
09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
thanks matt. there are three pinhole leaks on my welds...i'm not too concerned right now.

also got the new plugs in, gapped at .031 as per the manual. old plugs were at .044.

pulled apart the dash and cleaned up all the plastic real well, got the fast food restaurant cleaned off the inside of the steering column lower cover, glued the infamous broken tripmeter part.

slowly but surely getting there.

also pulled the 55 out and fired it up again. the battery was dang near dead, so i put a different one in and let it run a bit in the driveway. now it's not doing it's weird electrical thing. (ammeter would spike with the throttle, but not until the engine was at operating temp.). i'll drive it to work a couple of days and see what happens.

subzali
09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
And Ige keeps lovin' on the 80...:)

:eek: lots of issues, but it's looking better all the time!

Uncle Ben
09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Hmmmm....for a vehicle that has no soul.....I'd say Ige had definately tapped into that 80's inner being! :rolleyes: :bowdown::Princess:

Red_Chili
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
The 80 has soul like mayonnaise has soul. The white man's spicy sandwich spread.

:lmao:
:bolt:

Nice job, Ige! Hard work paying off.

RockRunner
09-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Looking good, nice way to move the exhaust up a little.

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
operation extenze has begun

i've made the templates and am nervously preparing for the first cut. the plan is to add on the rear frame section that was cut off by the po.

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
you can see the nasty ole bumper the po put on.

my plan is to install the sweet azz bumper/tire carrier from nathaniel. :thumb:

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
holy crap this is gonna take a while:eek: 45 minutes just to get this one bracket off...positive side, i'm halfway there:rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
and yes, the cruiser that yuiry and i cut the new rear frame section off had slee-disease...it was bright yellow at one point:lmao:

Bikeman
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Ige, I have 2-4" pieces of frame I cut off mine if you want them.

Crash
09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
What, you removed your full floating, nod to Uncle Ben, exhaust pipe? Oh man, that thing was priceless as was Kevin's commentary!!!!
Keep at it Ige. You wheeled it like you stole it this past weekend and it was obvious you were having fun even though you didn't have steering by Armstrong!!

isotel
09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
looking good, its going to be sweet to have a rear bumper! I Enjoyed every minute of riding in your 80, the exhaust reminded me of my own rig ;)

Whats the plan for the slider?

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Ige, I have 2-4" pieces of frame I cut off mine if you want them.

you're a week too late....i bought a chunk from oleg last weekend.;)

got the sleeves made...modified rectangular stock. made the pattern for the top/bottom of the frame. spent all day and will spend some of tomorrow in welding foreplay before i get it all on.

did find one little issue...i was testing the fit of the sleeves on the new frame section...not the old one. found this little nut that the po welded in (only on one side, the other side the weld didnt' hold and the nut was gone. :rolleyes:). also, if you look close, you'll see the inside edge of the frame is bent in a bit...i'll have to do some tweaking.:(

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
What, you removed your full floating, nod to Uncle Ben, exhaust pipe? Oh man, that thing was priceless as was Kevin's commentary!!!!
Keep at it Ige. You wheeled it like you stole it this past weekend and it was obvious you were having fun even though you didn't have steering by Armstrong!!

i did have fun...i have the feeling the armstrong would've killed me on that trail and i wouldn't have had near the fun.

as for the full floater exhaust, i just cut the tip off...it was flat. now i'm not so sure if the struggle driving home was all the rain on the road or the excessive backpressure building up from my most likely glowing red exhaust tip :lmao:

nuclearlemon
09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Whats the plan for the slider?

that's another fix i gotta deal with.

nuclearlemon
09-27-2008, 12:45 PM
well, no turning back now. the first cuts have begun. first i cut the frame sections on the rig to where they were equal, and now i'm working on making the puzzle sections for the frame. the first couple pics show cut lines and the two pieces with the sleeve

nuclearlemon
09-27-2008, 01:42 PM
the rear frame section is notched and test fit. i didn't quite get part of the original frame cut far enough back to match my template...you can see on the below pic where the issue is, and on the right, i need to clearance a little bit on the new chunk as it's a touch too wide, but otherwise, the hardest part is almost over:woot::woot::woot:

i was a bit excited though and had to stop to test fit the bumper! :thumb:

nuclearlemon
09-27-2008, 01:44 PM
now i just need bearings for the spindle, the pad for under the latch, the two spring loaded latch deals, bolts for the bumper and the tire and hi lift brackets and i'm rockin'

best part is no more obnoxious stink bug:cheers::cheers::cheers:

TOTONKA
09-27-2008, 03:51 PM
homeland security might like it

nuclearlemon
09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
welding is done. my arms, boobs, back, belly all have been hit with the little hot bits of death. they're all glad the welding is done.

i haven't done final measurements yet, but i should be dang close to right on. i did have some welding issues where i was getting pockets in my weld and i thought i was out of gas, but i realized that in all the times i'd stuck my helmet on the bottle and pulled it off, i'd moved the adjustment so the mixture was off. welds got a bit better after that.

man i'm wiped out.

nuclearlemon
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
while some of the welds are atrocious looking, i am pretty confident in the weld holding them. i got good puddles. welding upside down sucks and it drips, but it can be done. welding under a body sucks even more.

all that's left is to drill out two holes for the side bolt holes (the spacers block the holes) and the bumper will be ready to mount. i've already chased the holes in the frame and bought my $55 worth of metric bolts and rattle can ($10 in rattle can...all the rest is hardware:eek:)

i got to looking at slee's website and it appears there are a bunch of parts that i need to be truly complete. like most of a hardware kit:( and that doesnt' even include the required land cruiser bottle cap opener for the backside of the spare carrier;)

Romer
09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Looks great Ige

Cruiserdrew
09-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I think it looks great too, though those really porous welds I'd grind out and re-do. It looks like no gas was flowing at all.

Just a vote for the bottle cap opener. Ya gotta have it to be cool.

SteveH
09-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Good job Ige - you're doing right by that 'cruiser!

Steve

nuclearlemon
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I think it looks great too, though those really porous welds I'd grind out and re-do. It looks like no gas was flowing at all.

already done.

got the bearings/races and seals today. also started making a new plate to cover the pto hole so the bolts sit flush....little at a time. still need to get some smaller 12mm bolts since ace was out of the small ones.

getting closer though and that makes me happy:thumb: ive got some plastic material at home to make the pad under the carrier when it's closed and i'm guessing the slide piece is just a chunk of stainless or aluminum sheetmetal and i've got some heavy aluminum that i can cut up and rivet in. i've also got a lp lamp that i was going to mount on the 40, but i never made that carrier.

now need cap for the spindle, the two brackets for the wings, tire carrier piece (iirc, nathaniel has that somewhere), the two plungers and the hilift upper bracket, which i think i can get around.

woooohoooooo!!!!

nuclearlemon
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
ok, tire carrier is mounted. bearings worked great. it does appear that the plastic pad i have won't be thick enough, so i'm going to try to find something thicker, if i can't, i'll just cut multiple layers since they're held by bolts.

Convert
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
ok, tire carrier is mounted. bearings worked great. it does appear that the plastic pad i have won't be thick enough, so i'm going to try to find something thicker, if i can't, i'll just cut multiple layers since they're held by bolts.

I have a piece of black nylon that is 2 1/2" or 3" wide and 3/8"-1/2" thick that I used when building mine.I can cut you off a piece if it will work for ya

Convert
09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
2" wide by 1/2" thick. Just confirming the dimensions because I was not sure

nuclearlemon
09-30-2008, 06:57 PM
that'd be awesome...thanks dan:thumb:

nuclearlemon
10-12-2008, 10:31 PM
got the plates made and finally got the right combination of bolts to get the bumper officially bolted on wooohoooo! i even marked almost all eight bolt holes dead on...only one hole was a tad off. two plates underneath, and one across where the hitch would be (eventually, i'll add one, but that's a ways off). got the license plate moved, light wired up (still need to properly secure the wiring on the swing arm) and even got the hi lift mounted.

of course, before i drilled anything, i had to finish mounting the "new" top to my bench and mount the vises. kinda nice having a top that's not all beat up.

nuclearlemon
10-12-2008, 10:36 PM
even got a little work in on the 45...can you count the number of fj60 parts that are now on it:)

of course, in the "my life with cruisers" fashion mentioned throughout this thread, one bolt is giving me fits. i thought it was started when i tightened the rest and it wasn't...it just won't go in.:mad: and, of course, it's in a most hideous place. for now, i tightened everything else up, so i don't screw up the seal between the gasket and the block...i'll loosen everything and try again next weekend. meantime, the dizzy is just sitting in place to keep any dust out.

nuclearlemon
10-25-2008, 08:00 PM
today, finally tackled the valve cover....what a pita:rant: somewhere there was a little japanese engineer laughing his butt off

didn't spend a whole lot of time cleaning it up..would've been a great time to polish a turd, but i'm more about function than beauty.;) the plug gaskets made a very eery crunching sound as i was attempting to get them out.

also, readjusted the side cover on the 45 so it's officially done and wired a 40amp circuit breaker to the high side of the fan for the 40, so hopefully i'll stop melting fuse holders.:rolleyes: put some dye in the radiator, hopefully it will leak a bit overnight and i'll be able to determine if my new radiator is bad.:rant:

Romer
10-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Good time to change that PCV valve while you have the cover off.

nuclearlemon
10-26-2008, 06:09 PM
already done. i actually managed to get the old grommet out a while ago, with no chunking, so i've had the new pcv in for about three or four months.

today, i got the radio and cb mounted in the dash. it ain't pretty, but neither is the huge gaping hole that the po hacked out. it's functional though and now all the radios are securely mounted and the ham isn't in the way of my park brake. although the ham would've fit in the dash better, i have multiple cbs and one ham, so it's cheaper to permanantly mount the cbs and have the ham in a spot where i can easily unhook it and move it to another rig.

i still need to make some sort of "bezel" to finish it all off, but i think i may need a new dash trim piece...you can see my pocket doesn't exactly fit in the dash. the original crosspiece was hacked out and it was held up by the monstrosity. a lot of things don't fit in like their supposed to. :rolleyes:

i will need to figure out a speaker setup for the cb, but that's not a priority (since it involves money). also trying to figure out someplace to mount the gps mount. has anyone mounted into the pad, right in front of the clock? is it solid enough?

Crash
10-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Whoa, whose work bench is that in the picture from a couple of weeks ago Ige? I've seen your bench, well maybe not for the stuff on top of it, but the one in the pic looks mighty clean and organized.
Good job!!

nuclearlemon
10-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Whoa, whose work bench is that in the picture from a couple of weeks ago Ige? I've seen your bench, well maybe not for the stuff on top of it, but the one in the pic looks mighty clean and organized.
Good job!!

that's the "new" section of countertop i got from teh ex. that was right after i put it on to replace my damaged one. i'm working on keeping it clean.

corsair23
10-29-2008, 12:34 AM
i still need to make some sort of "bezel" to finish it all off, but i think i may need a new dash trim piece...you can see my pocket doesn't exactly fit in the dash. the original crosspiece was hacked out and it was held up by the monstrosity. a lot of things don't fit in like their supposed to. :rolleyes:

Ige, I think I have a complete center bezel/dash piece but it might be tan :confused: Or maybe they were all black...can't remember - I bought it awhile ago off flee bay for the switches...If you are interested I'll look for it to verify color. It is yours if you'd like it :thumb:

nuclearlemon
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Ige, I think I have a complete center bezel/dash piece but it might be tan :confused: Or maybe they were all black...can't remember - I bought it awhile ago off flee bay for the switches...If you are interested I'll look for it to verify color. It is yours if you'd like it :thumb:

colors not important...i'm interested. i can always dye it.

nuclearlemon
11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
thanks to mark at cruisercrap, i'm officially an 80 owner now;)

Beater
11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
of all the "kustom" things I have done to all my vehicles, including scooters, motorcycles, cars and trucks, NOTHING ever got more oohs and ahhs than putting a bottle opener on the bumper. go figure.

nuclearlemon
03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
got a bit more done in anticipation of roundup. didn't get the front sway bar fixed...had some issues with clearance, a grinder that didn't want to be where i wanted it and much of the skin off the side of my elbow, so i decided i can deal with the squirrelyness at highway speeds for now...

i did get the new yaesu mounted, got a new mount for the new gps (to replace my apparently now dead gps), am cleaning up some wiring on the p.o.s added fuseblock, re-lined the flare area and went up a little higher on the doors to cover some icky spots, lots of cleaning, checked all the welds on the rear frame section (by gawd, i think i did it; they appear to be holding well!), wired an inverter (still have to mount it...i'll tackle that tomorrow), made some heavier duty rear sway bar mounts that are a bit shorter, and did a lot of cleaning as i took things apart.

but i'm actually starting to look like an 80 owner :rolleyes:

Hayes
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Looking good. Can I make one suggestion? Lose the scrunchy mod...