PDA

View Full Version : Black Canyon - North Rim or South Rim?

Jacket
07-31-2008, 08:28 AM
I'll be spending a couple days camping at the Black Canyon, and wondered if you guys have any preference between the north rim versus the south rim? I believe there's a visitors center on the south side, but other than that, are there any features that would make one side better than the other?

MDH33
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
I've only camped on the North side. They both looked nice. There were hiking trails on both and I didn't feel the need to see the visitor center and figured the north side would be less crowded. There's a trail on the North side that goes up somewhat in elevation and gives you a great view of the canyon from a slight distance.

Awesome place.

Red_Chili
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I know there is an awesome motorcycle road accessing the west end of the canyon, from the north. And my wife and I aim to ride it this coming week, too.

Maddmatt
07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Been there once, here's my experience - based on my last trip it would be north rim for me.

Visited the North Rim, walked around all by ourselves viewing the canyon - could see the bumper to bumper RV's on the south-rim, but not hear them.

Only other person we saw was an older Native American gentleman picking pinon nuts on his way to a Pow-wow in Delta - which we followed him (at his suggestion) to. Great day altogether and avoided the other tourists comletely.