PDA

View Full Version : Middle St. Vrain w/COTTORA and FJ Cruiser Trail Team Sun. 8/17

subzali
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
EDIT: Sunday, August 17
Middle St. Vrain/Coney Flats
Meet at 9 AM at the Camp Dick trailhead

see this thread (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/67117-kelly-flats-8-17-a.html) for more detailed information

Also see this web site (http://mobaganda.com/trailsteamrun817) to sign up (not necessary)

Yo!

Just got a call from the Trail Teams and this next weekend, the 16th, they are FREE and they were hoping to do something with RISING SUN!

No plan yet, I told them the Triple Bypass had been canceled, so he was thinking maybe we could do a local run of some sort. I threw out the thought of whether they would be interested in doing a spotting/recovery/safety event, maybe in conjunction with a trail run, and he said that would be a great idea.

SO - if YOU could tell the TOYOTA FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM what to do, how, when and where to do it, what would you tell them? He's hoping to have a go/no go by Monday the 11th, so if there's any interest please post up and let's try to get something nailed down!

Again, it's a chance to possibly test drive an FJ Cruiser, get information/training/schwag from a very capable group of off-road drivers, and maybe enhance our image as enthusiasts in the eyes of Toyota so that they will bring back solid front axles!...

Okay that last one was made up, but still!

What I'm thinking - An easier trail like Switzerland, Coney Flats, Yankee Hill or Kingston Peak where we can get some easier/short/scenic wheeling in but you could make a lunch/training stop to do some recovery/spotting technique type stuff too! I will need someone who's interested to be somewhat of a leader for this, as I will not be available that weekend, but please post up if you're interested, if you want to be a trail leader for the day, and any ideas you have for the event!

RedCreeper
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Matt,

Just seen your post and I be interested depending on trail. If it is light and no pinstriping i am most likely in. Just need to check the schedule. I am kind of new to the area and not sure of the best trails to suggest so i dont think i would make a good trail leader but have done it in the past for Jeep events. The other thing is i am not a RS member. I have done Swizterland but don't know the others you mentioned. I did look at Moody Hill but it was not open yet when i was there. Not sure how tuff that one is. It is listed as moderate. I will let you know if i am a definate or not.

Kenny

WinklerFJ
08-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Hello,

I have been following the triple bypass thread closely hoping something would be suggested as an alternate to run with the trail team since the passes are still covered with snow. I'm looking to do some trails with some folks and with the trail team. I'd like to suggest Coney Flats and Middle St. Vrain as a possibility. Whatever you all decide I look forward at the possibility of hooking up with you and possibly joining your club. :thumb::thumb:

Lee

Caribou Sandstorm
08-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Matt,

Sounds good, I am guessing Ron and crew are headed back from Kentucky through Colorado and onto LA..

They were just with us in Ouray for the Ouray summit. Knowing the Triple is off, what about doing Devil's punch bowl On Saturday with lunch and camping in Crested Butte/Lake Irwin and then Pearl Pass into Aspen from Crested Butte on Sunday?

We could meet in Glennwood at 10:00am on Saturday, make it to CB for lunch/set up camp and then back over to Aspen for lunch and out via Glennwood Springs? Home by 5:pm on Sunday?

I am guessing this would give great footage of mountain views and the Toyota marketing folks would like the Glenwood/CB/Aspen footage, as well.

If you like I could also probably get a few cruiser heads to tag along..

Red_Chili
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Iron Chest.

The FJC's will have an opportunity to demonstrate self recovery. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Pearl is closed on the Aspen side too much snow. You all probably knew this.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Colin called me today from the Trail Teams and they are looking forward to a Rising Sun Club Run this weekend. It could be a Friday over nighter or just a Saturday run (our choice). Either way they are open, probably no need to make a definitive decision today on what trail, if we still want to noodle on it for a day.

They are driving back from Kentucky, in Oklahoma today.

They will be in Denver all week.

The following weekend they are doing an expedition from Wyoming to Grand Lake. That is posted in the Blue room under trail runs..

subzali
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Off Road Solutions is having a rally this weekend, that's another possibility. There's been a couple ideas thrown out, and a couple maybes on attendees (BTW nobody needs to be a Rising Sun member to join on a trail run with us, in fact a trail run/event is a prerequisite to joining the club!), but is anybody willing to choose what's going to be done and lead it?

Chris, the reason the Triple Bypass was called is just because Schofield (Devil's Punchbowl) and Pearl Pass had too much snow. Crystal/Moody is fun, but who is willing to drive that far on this short notice? Same with Iron Chest, considering Iron Chest is a much more difficult trail. Coney Flats/Middle St. Vrain is good too, I just don't want there to be a disappointing turnout if we set up a trip for them, and right now I only see two or three hands raised. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I'm just saying that ORS already has an event going on where the Trail Team can market their vehicles if they want (and that's a big part of it IMO), whereas not a whole lot of people are jumping at the bit from our club right now.

I can call ORS and see if they would be interested in the Trail Teams joining them for the day at the BBQ.

rover67
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd be willing to go on a run with everybody this weekend, but I don't feel like i am in a position to suggest routes, or lead at this point.

athenaceleste
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
We were thinking about doing Kelly FLats on Sunday... does this sound interesting?

Nay
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Wasn't the trail team coming out in Sept to do a Chinaman's reunion run of sorts? Does this replace that slot?

leiniesred
08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
In for now. I just have to get the truck to start. No big deal.

subzali
08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
They aren't available in Sept. for the Chinaman's Run. That's why we're hoping to catch them now.

athenaceleste
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Is anyone up for Kelly Flats on Sunday.. if anybody is interested..I can start throwing the plans together..meeting time, place, & etc.

Chris Sand Storm... are you interested?

Nay
08-11-2008, 06:30 PM
They aren't available in Sept. for the Chinaman's Run. That's why we're hoping to catch them now.

Short notice for a "major" run to get to OCG, but that was a great event last time RS did it with the Trail Team. Just a thought, not sure if I'd be able to make it, and gas prices are a crimp for a lot of folks for a trip of that distance, but figured I'd bring it back up :beer:

WinklerFJ
08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm in for any good trail run.

Lee

Caribou Sandstorm
08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok So we have 3 or 4 RS folks giving a thumbs up and a few more..Plus there are a few on the blue room that are also interested and I am trying to get them interested to joining RS. So this would be kind of a cool thing.

I am guessing we will get about 10+ folks in all, which would be plenty.

Matt, if you are ok with it maybe I can speak to Colin (or you can call your contact) and ask him if they want to do a half rising sun/colorado Fjs run on Kelly Flats for Saturday or they can hook up with the ORS folks.

We can give them a choice.

Bill or I can lead the Kelly Flats run and I can coordinate. between here and the Blue room.

The run needs to be Saturday for me, can not do Sunday. Bill/Athena is that a deal breaker for you?

Your call Matt.

RedCreeper
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
So far i am in unless something major stops me. My only question is what is Kelly Flats like? Where is it? I am stock and i am not into tearing it up or getting it bent or stratched up. not yet at least. :D what is the recomended equipment for this trail? I am still learning the area so the geography is a bit strange for me yet. I dont know anywhere else to suggest. I know of a few places near Estes i wanted to explore but not sure if it is a trail system or not and if it is open. Thanks.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 12:21 AM
No worries Kenny, I just looked it up on Traildamage.com, click on trails and then you will see it.

Looks like the 2 features have bypasses. So you can look and see if you want to try it or go around. Also says stock vehicle can do it.

Hope you can make it!

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Ok So we have 3 or 4 RS folks giving a thumbs up and a few more..Plus there are a few on the blue room that are also interested and I am trying to get them interested to joining RS. So this would be kind of a cool thing.

I am guessing we will get about 10+ folks in all, which would be plenty.

Matt, if you are ok with it maybe I can speak to Colin (or you can call your contact) and ask him if they want to do a half rising sun/colorado Fjs run on Kelly Flats for Saturday or they can hook up with the ORS folks.

We can give them a choice.

Bill or I can lead the Kelly Flats run and I can coordinate. between here and the Blue room.

The run needs to be Saturday for me, can not do Sunday. Bill/Athena is that a deal breaker for you?

Your call Matt.

I've got all taken care of in the Blue Room..but I've had a few pm's asking for Sunday. These people haven't had the opportunity to "roll" with the Trails Team yet..so if we could keep them in mind that's great..otherwise here's the link for the thread in the blue room.. and the rsvp is on there as well..

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/67117-trails-team-run-8-16-8-17-a.html
Yes it would have to be on Sunday...and I'd like to make some other accommodating plans for the lunch and what not..

subzali
08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
It sounded to me like the Trail Team would only be available Saturday. I'm loving that you guys are wanting to step up and you're getting people psyched about it! Chris, if you want to talk to Colin and see what his thoughts are, just make sure that he knows that I'm also talking with Jon Robichaud of Action Marketing Group, just so we don't get wrapped around the axle. I will try to see if Sunday will be okay for Jon if you want to do the same with Colin, that way we can get a good answer.

I think Kelly Flats is a good idea with you guys leading it! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Sunday is a no go for me.

Sat is the only day I can do something.

I saw your post in the Blue room, the only thing is Subzalli was mentioning cutting the TTT guys loose and having them join another club's event if we could not get enough RS guys for an event. This was a previous coordination betwen Subzalli and the TTT guys.

So I think it is slightly premature for us to post up in the blue room. I was waiting to get Subzalli's input before posting anything official. Kind of his call.

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
It sounded to me like the Trail Team would only be available Saturday. I'm loving that you guys are wanting to step up and you're getting people psyched about it! Chris, if you want to talk to Colin and see what his thoughts are, just make sure that he knows that I'm also talking with Jon Robichaud of Action Marketing Group, just so we don't get wrapped around the axle. I will try to see if Sunday will be okay for Jon if you want to do the same with Colin, that way we can get a good answer.

I think Kelly Flats is a good idea with you guys leading it! :thumb:

As soon as we know what day I'll post it up in the official trail post thread on the blue room. Let me know if Sunday works as soon as you can...

Bill and I haven't been to Kelly Flats yet..but we'd be up for leading it. Shouldn't be a problem.

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
We're quite alright without the trails team...and if the trails team isn't going then it doesn't matter if it is Saturday or Sunday.

subzali
08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
So does that mean you're okay with a Saturday run? If it's Saturday the TTT will go for sure, but if it's Sunday I'm not sure they can swing it...

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Sunday is a no go for me.

Sat is the only day I can do something.

I saw your post in the Blue room, the only thing is Subzalli was mentioning cutting the TTT guys loose and having them join another club's event if we could not get enough RS guys for an event. This was a previous coordination betwen Subzalli and the TTT guys.

So I think it is slightly premature for us to post up in the blue room. I was waiting to get Subzalli's input before posting anything official. Kind of his call.

Well there should be a pretty big number of potential Rising Sun members.

as for premature.. we were already planning to do this trail on Sunday anyways...so I'm having the thread changed now. Let people know that it's possible the trails team may join.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks Matt, sorry for jumping in on this, kind of your turf.

I will call Colin in a bit and see what they can do.

I am out for Sunday, yes had planned on Sat when I spoke to Colin yesterday.

I thnk the RS folks in here also planned on Sat. But if Sunday is preferred by the RS folks, then I will let Colin know.

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 09:51 AM
So does that mean you're okay with a Saturday run? If it's Saturday the TTT will go for sure, but if it's Sunday I'm not sure they can swing it...

I'm just looking out for the people who havent' had the opportunity to go with the Trails Team. I can only go Sunday... A few of us CO fjr's had this trail already set for Sunday.. it really doesn't matter if the trails team goes or not.. I'd like to plan a pot luck kind of lunch also... that'd be nice.

I'd really like to get these two organizations together... that's my main goal!

subzali
08-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Not at all Chris, I welcome your input and since you already have contacts with the TTT that helps a ton! Besides, you're more excited about the FJ Cruisers than me anyway, and that's what we need to make these kinds of events happen!

Athenaceleste, with the Sat./Sun. thing, I still haven't heard whether Sunday is available for the TTT. Since you already have other people planning on Sunday then I'm trying to stay with that, I just wanted to be clear on it because if the TTT can't make Sunday work for them then I guess the next best thing is the ORS BBQ. Their schedule is a little more rigid than most of ours (at times), so I would naturally default to that. And I would think that if people haven't run with them before and they would like to then they might as well. We'll wait to either hear back from Jon or Colin and see what their thoughts are.

Thanks Matt, sorry for jumping in on this, kind of your turf.

I will call Colin in a bit and see what they can do.

I am out for Sunday, yes had planned on Sat when I spoke to Colin yesterday.

I thnk the RS folks in here also planned on Sat. But if Sunday is preferred by the RS folks, then I will let Colin know.

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Sweet...let me know. No pressure. I changed the thread title in the blue room.. and I'll notify as soon as it's confirmed. I've been trying to get the CO fjr's to be a part of other organizations and I feel this would be a great opportunity.

I had a wonderful time with Ricardo and Jeff on Sunday... you guys rock!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Sounds good, I think our goals are the same. I just wanted to check with Matt first before announcing a run.

If Sunday works best for most that will be great, too.

I will catch up with the TTT guys another time.

subzali
08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Jon is good for Sunday. So we will probably have them show up at ORS for the BBQ Saturday and then run Kelly Flats with y'all on Sunday. Cool?

Sweet, thank you so much guys for setting this up! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Sounds good. Thanks Matt.

AxleIke
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
So....Kelly Flats on Sunday?

How many trucks?

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 12:35 PM
we don't know yet... here's a link to rsvp
http://mobaganda.com/trailsteamrun817

RedCreeper
08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Chris sorry to see you cant make it. I will have to see if i can now since it is moved to sunday. I really want to meet the TTT guys but will see. Odd question i have is on the bypasses is there any tight areas that i will get the sides scratched up? thanks.

Kenny

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Not sure Kenny. Good news is that you can barely tell with our lighter color vehicles but I know where you are coming from.

Tch2fly
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
No worries Kenny, I just looked it up on Traildamage.com, click on trails and then you will see it.

Looks like the 2 features have bypasses. So you can look and see if you want to try it or go around. Also says stock vehicle can do it.

Hope you can make it!

Not trying to scare anybody but I think the Traildamage report is older and may not be representative of current conditions (I have a cabin nearby and ran it 2 weeks ago)

I won't say a stock vehicle can't make it (an FJC is very capable) but it is getting rougher and rougher each year. The trail consists of loose rocky climbs (very much like the beginning of Chinamans) with very easy sections of smooth dirt/gravel roads.

Yes, the two main obstacles have bypasses but the Heartattack Hill bypass is getting really torn up and is almost as bad as the hill.

The Chutes is aptly named as a short but tight section of rocks and I would plan on bypassing it unless you want body damage.

Edit: There are only a few sections where the brush is close to the trail ... shouldn't be a huge concern.

:( Wish I could make it but I'm taking friends to the Dunes :D
Enjoy:thumb:

Red_Chili
08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
In for now. I just have to get the truck to start. No big deal.
Starter fluid and a lighter.

It will either start, or reseat all four beads at once. You could sell tickets.

RedCreeper
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Not sure if i am still in. I know Matt said in the begining an easier run not to discount the hard core guys:

What I'm thinking - An easier trail like Switzerland, Coney Flats, Yankee Hill or Kingston Peak where we can get some easier/short/scenic wheeling in but you could make a lunch/training stop to do some recovery/spotting technique type stuff too! I will need someone who's interested to be somewhat of a leader for this, as I will not be available that weekend, but please post up if you're interested, if you want to be a trail leader for the day, and any ideas you have for the event!

Not to sound like a winer and i hate them also i just don't want to tear it up or make the ride miserable for everyone else who is set up and want a challenge and have to wait for a stocker like me to get off a big rock. So an honest opinion here would be great. How tough is it? 33s a minimum with lockers? 31s with driving skill and lockers? on a 5 scale what number? don't want to get there and make it a long day for me and everyone else wishing i had my Jeep done with 35s and plenty of travel. Chris it may be white but still have to bring it home and answer the what happend question. Really want to meet the TTT gang but not at the expense of a new ride. Thanks.

RedCreeper
08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Sorry to nag and ask a lot of Questions. Just one bad experience here and this is what happens. Just need all the info i can get. Thanks.

FJBen
08-12-2008, 03:36 PM
don't worry. It's not that hard at all. There are only 2 obstacles like was said. Heart attack hill which isn't that bad. With a-trac or a rear locker piece of cake.

The chutes is completely bypassable. I bypass it...it's only like a 40~60' section of tight rocks that attacks bigger bodied rigs. To me, not worth it. In a 40 or mini/jeep samurai piece-o-cake. You can get the bigger rigs through with work and careful driving...but I'll pass.

you have nothing to worry about on this trail. I honestly think moody/crystal is the same. I have zero body damage on an 80 on this trail.

no need to fret at all.

My old 55 in the chutes.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/piginthchutes.jpg

athenaceleste
08-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Just so you know we have great spotters! Shouldn't be a problem.

subzali
08-12-2008, 03:48 PM
The TTT took Chris through the Rubicon with almost no damage, I'm sure they can get you through Kelly Flats no problem! :thumb:

I don't believe it's that hard (and we had a discussion of what "that hard" means in the Holy Cross thread, so take it with a grain of salt) of a trail; I've never been on it but I imagine my FJ40 on 31s with a rear locker would be more than adequate, I'm just not going to be able to make it for other reasons.

Have fun guys/gals!

treerootCO
08-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I enjoy wheeling and I am scared of Heart Attack Hill. To this day I have never tried it...

FJBen
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I enjoy wheeling and I am scared of Heart Attack Hill. To this day I have never tried it...

really? wow...maybe growing up in Walden has removed to many braincells :lmao: I don't think it's that bad at all. Even the hardest lines.

here's a few pics from a few years ago. Pablocruise is in a few...

There is an "easy" route the whole left side. The middle and just to the right of the tree are dug out more. The right is a medium line.

Tch2fly
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
This is a great example of how different people "rate" a trail.

I like the trail because of the proximity to my cabin. It has gotten progressively rougher over the last couple years. I don't like the type of trail it has become.
There are very few sections of exposed rock that require spotting or "crawling" (the major exception is The Chutes) and I enjoy slow crawling types of trail (less throttle - more brain).
There are several steep, loose, rocky climbs, one long section is called Heartattack Hill (traction control of some sort is needed), the others are sections of the bypass (should not need locker). I don't really enjoy "scrambling" up a loose rutted slopes but it isn't necessarily "difficult". (more throttle - less brains is why the trail looks like it does) Once you get to the top of Heartattack hill (either method) the trail is very sedate unless you attempt the chutes.

RedCreeper
08-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I know it is totally judgmental about what it hard and how to rate a trail. The rating is just a starting point and can and will always change. I know it is totally a opinion base sport that is why i like getting all the feedback. Since i don't know the trails yet i can make a call base on what i see and you guys tell me. Some of you know about my July 4th run of hell. Not fun but i did trust the Trail leader and got stuck in a 1 mile car wash of trees and had to come back threw it because the trail was closed half way up the mountain. At least i got the same strip on both sides. This is after i asked him questions about the run and he said i will be OK. This is why i ask more questions than normal. When i had my Jeep it did not matter as much and i knew the area. There is a ride and driving style for every trail. Everyone i have met with the RS club has been great and up front. Not like the last group. Looks like a fun run and i want to make it. have to see what my Sunday entails. thanks again for all the feedback.

Kenny

PabloCruise
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM

Wow!

I am surprised.

Heart Attack Hill is easier than the Chutes - I love it.

Kelly Flats is great. I'll post to the HT4 Wheelers section and see how we do.

Not sure if I will go or not.

RedCreeper
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Looks like i am in. will you be posting the details?

athenaceleste
08-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Looks like i am in. will you be posting the details?

Glad to see you make it.. as long as you have faith in the spotter you should be fine. We too, own an FJC and Bill wouldn't spot you up anything he didn't feel you could make.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi Kenny,

Head over to the Blue room at http://www.Fjcruiserforums.com

Then scroll down to the regional forums area, you will see Colorado, click on that and then you will see Kelly Flats, lots of discussion and Athena has some helpful links, etc.

Have a great run and I will see you soon.

athenaceleste
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
here's the direct link to the thread..
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/67117-kelly-flats-8-17-a.html#post1085737

RedCreeper
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Glad to see you make it.. as long as you have faith in the spotter you should be fine. We too, own an FJC and Bill wouldn't spot you up anything he didn't feel you could make.

Thanks. I am not sure if my spotter is coming so i am in trust of others. haha I am pretty good at picking my lines but having an outside eye is always good. Especially since i am still learning where everything is on the FJC. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks Chris, to bad you cant make it. Next time for sure.

Kenny

athenaceleste
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Just so all of you know..there's been some big debate about Kelly Flats and the driving time .... I thought I would consider coming over here to see if there are any other suggestions. I was possibly thinking of Red Elephant to Empire Loop.. please let me know what you guys think of this run...

Athena

subzali
08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
That would be a possibility since we had our 40s Only Run there just a couple weeks ago, but it was 40s Only. If it's closer for most people (the guys up north aren't really responding at the moment), then I'd say go for it.

MDH33
08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Just so all of you know..there's been some big debate about Kelly Flats and the driving time .... I thought I would consider coming over here to see if there are any other suggestions. I was possibly thinking of Red Elephant to Empire Loop.. please let me know what you guys think of this run...

Athena

Red Elephant is awfully narrow. Be prepared to scrape along a lot of trees in your shiny new rigs. It's also a pretty easy trail, and with the trail team there, why not do something more challenging? ;)

RedCreeper
08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Why cant we all get along..... :bowdown: there has to be something we all can do and still have fun. don't ask me because i don't know the trails that well. My knowledge of the area consists of a book guide. Hopefully everyone will agree on something.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I still think it is worth while to contact COTTORa and see if they would be willing to let you join their run on MSV.

That way the TTT guys would be able to get a 3 group exposure RS/Colorado FJs/COTTORA in one day and it just may spark an annual event.

subzali
08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Chris, do you want to take care of that? I don't know what MSV is (Middle St. Vrain?) and I don't know the best way to contact them. I'll forward Jon to this thread so he can watch the progress, I will be out of touch all day Saturday so hopefully this gets nailed down before the weekend...

Uncle Ben
08-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Chris, do you want to take care of that? I don't know what MSV is (Middle St. Vrain?) and I don't know the best way to contact them. I'll forward Jon to this thread so he can watch the progress, I will be out of touch all day Saturday so hopefully this gets nailed down before the weekend...

Here is a pretty good write up w/pictures (http://hobojeepers.tripod.com/AFFSunConey.htm). Fairly easy trail, incredible scenery and just enough challenge to keep your attention.

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I've hopped on to the COTTORA site to see if they'd have us come along on one of their trails... will keep updated what happens.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I sent a note to the COTTORA web master also. I suggeted they reach out to you Athena if they were ok with a combined event.

I would just stay on your current course, unless you hear from them.

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I really felt I should of stuck to the Kelly Flats and then all of a sudden everyone was reconsidering the drive... then I did that horrible thing giving peeps options...LMAO

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Alright guys it looks like a fellow going on the COTTORA run @ MSV/Coney Flats says he's cool with us tagging along... I'm going to wait a few more minutes before I post it up in the blue room...

Jacket
08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
CoTTORA has two runs on the books for Sunday. One was for Kelly Flats (posted by TC, who is the chapter pres), presumably for the TTORA group that wanted to join the TTT group. Email Troy (RedrunnerTc) if you want to try and organize something.
There was a another guy trying to put together a run to Middle St Vrain and Coney Flats.

I'm struggling a bit with the desire to get out on Sunday and join the fun, and the risk that a run involving 3 clubs and TTT could get obnoxiously large.

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I announced the Kelly Flats trail and TC was thoughtful and posted it for me... I too know how annoying it can be to have a huge trail run..but it's looking like it's not going to be all that big.. for one, no one is rsvp'ing to know who is all coming along..if any of you are coming please rsvp...the link is here.... http://mobaganda.com/trailsteamrun817

subzali
08-14-2008, 10:51 AM
So what's the plan? :confused:

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Please Make not...here's all updated info http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/67117-kelly-flats-8-17-a.html

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 10:56 AM
We're joining COTTORA on there MSV/ Coney Flats run... all details on OP on the blue room.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Athena, great job on pulling this all together!

Should be a super fun run!

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
We all will be meeting at the trail head at 9:00 am...to be ready to go by 10:00 at the far end of Camp Dick..

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Athena, great job on pulling this all together!

Should be a super fun run!

Now we just need to work on getting you to come...what can we do to get you out there???

Caribou Sandstorm
08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Now that the trail head is only about 10 minutes from where I need to be at
5:00pm, i might make it.

athenaceleste
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Now that the trail head is only about 10 minutes from where I need to be at
5:00pm, i might make it.

:eek: No way!!!!

sweet!! Glad to see it all works out!:thumb:

RedCreeper
08-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Chris, Hope to see you there. I am caravanning up with ocr from the forum. he lives next to me. we will take a look and go from there. If the weather is bad we will most likely head back. But we will have to wait and see what it looks like. My plans for now are to go to the lake or water crossing and come back. Hope to see you there.

leiniesred
08-17-2008, 08:18 AM
I think we'll pull out (from Aurora) in another 13 minutes or so.

Hope to be at the trailhead right at 10:00.

-LeiniesRed

Jacket
08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I'll be up there around 9:30.

Uncle Ben
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM
well??????????????? :confused:

leiniesred
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks having us join your trip, Athena.

It was a good trip! No breakage, no winching, no strapping, no stress. Lots of puddles.
It didn't rain, or snow, and it certainly wasn't dusty.

Nate in the VERY stock white Tacoma behind me for 1/2 of the trip demonstrated how capable a stocker can be. (open open, no traction control do-dads, just good tires and good driving.)

About 3 branches touched my truck on the trip.
The water got to the top of the rims or so.
Body damage would be unlikely if you were just a little careful/patient.
Trail was pretty clean. I'd like to say I didn't get strapped, but I think that Jacket pulled me for awhile. We both got heavy fishline stuck to our trucks!

Good crew. Jacket, Robbie and I represented Rising Sun I think. There were about 12 trucks. 4 turned back at the river crossing. I really don't think they got off the trail much before we did. Coney Flats wasn't any harder than Middle Saint Vrain.

Me, Lin, Out the sunroof view, out the windows, steering wheel closeup.

Jacket
08-18-2008, 08:41 AM
yea - and oddly enough, as soon as I removed the fishing line from my axle, leiniesred disappeared from my rear view mirror. That must have been some deep sea fishing line there.....

Seems like the large group was made up of several small groups - a Rising Sun contingent, a few CoTTORA rigs, and a group of FJC's - plus the Trail Team in an FJC and a Tacoma.

I didn't take many pics, but here's a few:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/MSV_0808/IMG_1002.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/MSV_0808/IMG_1003.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/MSV_0808/IMG_1011.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/MSV_0808/IMG_1012.jpg

athenaceleste
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I've got quite a few pic... I'm going to post them on photobucket..and send a link over.

It was a great success...and boy what an awesome crew to go wheeling with! I think I've got myself a new favorite trail that's for sure. A few of us ended up doing Carnage shortley after MSV and Coney Flats. Very entertaining as most of you know...:D

subzali
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Sweet! Thanks to everybody for helping put this together and make it a success! Sounds like it was a good day for sure! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow, i am glad it was a fun day and all worked out.

I ended up pulling a dead tree out of my back yard with the FJ, that was fun.

My wife also got in on the fun until she hit the gas, like I did on most of rubicon and almost took my leg out...

Would have liked to wheel with Robbie and Matt.

WinklerFJ
08-19-2008, 12:16 AM
That was a lot of fun. I am glad a backup plan was settled on for the triple bypass. Looks like skid plates made it to the top of my wish list. I really only smacked the rear control arm brackets, although I did manage to hit both of them.

It was great to meet you folks and I'll look forward to more trail runs down the road. Jared took quite a few pictures during the trip and I posted some of them at photobucket... If anyone wants any high res images let me know and I'll email them.

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/winklerfj/Middle%20St%20Vrain%208-17/

Cheers!