PDA

View Full Version : EdgeStar Fridge/Freezer 43 qt

Rock Dog
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Has anyone else taken a look at Chris's "edgestar fridge/freezer" ?
I saw it last night and it was pretty cool...

Cheaper than the Engle or ARB (maybe a bit heavier?).

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Freezers

He said he left it running in Rubicon Springs for 2 days without starting the FJ, and then started the FJ right up (no jump starting) when it was time to climb cadillac hill....

Has anybody else heard any pro's and Cons about this vs the ARB and Engle ? For only $449 it seems like a smokin deal for a 43 qt:D

wesintl
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-gear-recovery/204722-edgestar-fridges.html

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10205&highlight=edgestar

looks like it pulls quite a bit more power than the engel. If your always moving it's probably fine. If you hunt etc and don't drive for a few days it could be an issue.

Convert
08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I have the Waeco 53 Qt.was about the same price as the Engle/Arb 43qt. got excellent reviews in the Overland Journal summer 2007 copy.I have zero complaints so far works well on both fridge and freeze. PM me if you would like to check it out or borrow the Overland Journal Mag:thumb:

DaveInDenver
08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I also have the Overland Journal fridge issue, just as a backup. I have an Engel, but it seems to me a toss up between them, both seem fine. I went with Engel because Slee sells them, that's about the extent of it.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi guys,

I know the concerns are made in china and power pull.

I actually had it running for 3 days no driving before Rubi, to see what would happen, no issues. I think it pulls 2.5 coolling and 4.5 freezing.

The made in china thing is kind of unavoidable at this point, either made in australia or made in china, kind of moot.

I use it a lot and have been really happy with it. I will probably get the back up battery installed before my first fall overland trip, though, no sense in risking a battery failure for a cold one.

I bought the extended warranty for 50.00 and used my Amex. So I am covered. It is super quiet and cools very fast. The led display is also nice and I was told by an ARB owner that my fridge LED display was better then his.

The cost is like 40% less then the others, it seemed a worthy gamble, considering my watershed of mods before Rubicon. I blame all of you for throwing such an incredible event like Cruise Moab and getting me all pumped up on this hobby...

No nice insulated cover though like the ARBs, I was hoping for that accessory. I do not have drawers in the back, so I mounted it to the body with eye bolts and rubber tape to seal the drill wholes in the body.

DaveInDenver
08-08-2008, 05:38 AM
The made in china thing is kind of unavoidable at this point, either made in australia or made in china, kind of moot.
Whether it matters or not is up to each person in the end, but FWIW, Engel (and ARB) fridges are made in Malaysia and most of the accessories are made in Australia (at least the cover and Transit Lock were). Waeco has plants in Germany, Poland, Italy and China. I don't know where the fridges we get here in the USA come from, but I believe the compressors are still made in Germany.

rover67
06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
I just ordered one of these from compact appliance. It was $424.17 total with free shipping included.

I'm excited to see how it works.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
My guess is you are going to love it, especially for how much it cost...I have had zero issues with mine and still often leave it running for days, no battery pull as of yet..

Side benefit, you can use it to put your cold groceries in, if you are like me and forget that the grocery store was supposed to be your last stop not your first....

We use it when we go to Costco, all the time..

corsair23
06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I just ordered one of these from compact appliance. It was $424.17 total with free shipping included.

I'm excited to see how it works.

Sounds like a great price but you must have bought one of the last ones :rolleyes: - Link says that item doesn't exist anymore...

Are the 63qt ($519) or 86qt ($614) ones too big for general use? I'm thinking for CM trips mostly...

DaveInDenver
06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Are the 63qt ($519) or 86qt ($614) ones too big for general use? I'm thinking for CM trips mostly...
The MT45 is about 42 quarts if memory serves and this is big enough for up to about a week for us. The thing about sizing for a fridge is that you have to remember all the space is usable since there is no ice. So a 60 quart cooler will hold less food than a 45 quart fridge. Also with bigger fridges come more space, more battery drain, etc. Like with coolers, the more full the fridge is the better things stay cold, so a full 45 quarts will use less energy than a half full 65 quart because the compressor is smaller and will run less once all that mass is cool. Free space does not stay particularly cool. I would think for a family that 80 quarts will be a lot more than you need, although I could see the additional 20 or so quarts for 60ish quart fridge being better for 4 people or if you're gone longer. My plan would be to add a small, say ~20 quart, fridge for beverages and lunches should the need for more space beyond the MT45.

Uncle Ben
06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
The MT45 is about 42 quarts if memory serves and this is big enough for up to about a week for us. The thing about sizing for a fridge is that you have to remember all the space is usable since there is no ice. So a 60 quart cooler will hold less food than a 45 quart fridge. Also with bigger fridges come more space, more battery drain, etc. Like with coolers, the more full the fridge is the better things stay cold, so a full 45 quarts will use less energy than a half full 65 quart because the compressor is smaller and will run less once all that mass is cool. Free space does not stay particularly cool. I would think for a family that 80 quarts will be a lot more than you need, although I could see the additional 20 or so quarts for 60ish quart fridge being better for 4 people or if you're gone longer. My plan would be to add a small, say ~20 quart, fridge for beverages and lunches should the need for more space beyond the MT45.

Ya what he said! ;) my 24 quart Engel has been a good size! I think it might end up in the 40 and I'll spend the bucks and get a two chamber for the 80 at in the future. Having Ice cream bars and milk for Latte's just seems smart!

corsair23
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Dave :thumb: Edit: and thanks UB

Makes a lot of sense and the 63Qt may be about perfect for the family then. Obviously it would be overkill for me travelling alone but that rarely happens and this would mostly be used for the 3-4 day CM trips. Size wise it really isn't all that much bigger than the 43Qt...Of course maybe the smaller size would be better long term and more flexible when travelling light (not that that ever happens, just ask Matt about Rubicon last year :lmao:)

Per EdgeStar's site:

FP430: Height: 20.8”; Width: 24.7”; Depth: 17.7”
FP630: Height: 20.7”; Width: 28.1”; Depth: 17.9”

Basically just a little wider is all...Still not convinced I "need" a fridge/freezer and that is a lot of :twocents:, despite them being significantly less expensive than the Engels, ARBs, etc. I just can't seem to pass up a sale :hill:

Oh, and for those wondering the FP430 is available but out of stock until late July per Compact Appliance...They are expecting a shipment of 320 of them on 7/30.

rover67
06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Bummer that they are now out of stock!! Hopefully I actually get mine!

Yeah, I was really hesitant to get a fridge, but after reaching into Chris' cooler and grabbing a nice cold coke on the way out of Beef Basin (day 4 of my trip) this CM I was sold. My cooler was full of water with a package of hot dogs open and floating around in it and nothing in it looked good or was even near cold.

The only thing that has kept me away has been the price, and after seeing this one for sale I just took the plunge. After talking to Chris and seeing his it sounds like these work well enough, and are at least half the price of some of the others. Free shipping was actually what sealed the deal for me.

I plan on putting it through it's paces when I get it. I have a deep cycle battery in the 60 so I was just going to let it sit in the driveway and run for a few days to watch the battery drop. hopefully it will go for a while, I think it will.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Looks like they replaced the Edgstar 42 QT with the ATC brand...

http://www.compactappliance.com/BDC40NL-Scoolers-Portable-Fridge-Freezer/BDC40NL,default,pd.html?cgid=Outdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers-Portable%20Freezers

BDC40NL - ATC Home 45 Quart Portable Fridge / Freezer

View Larger
Color:
Grey
Add A Warranty?
Select Optional Extended Warranty No Extended Warranty ($0.00) 2 Year Extended Warranty ($39.00) 3 Year Extended Warranty ($59.00) 5 Year Extended Warranty ($89.00) Product Sales & SpecialsSave 15% Off Through Wednesday!

Free Shipping This Week Only
List Price: $699.00 Our Price: $599.00 15% Off $89.85 Sale Price: $509.15 (27% Savings: $189.85)Shipping: FREE Total: $509.15
Qty
Add to Wishlist In Stock: Usually Ships

It is exactly the same unit. Just 50.00 more then they had the Edgestar 42qt.

I would call them and ask. They have a high rated customer service and are very helpful.

corsair23
07-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Looks like they replaced the Edgstar 42 QT with the ATC brand...

I would call them and ask. They have a high rated customer service and are very helpful.

Hmmm...According to the person I chatted with (Patrick T) via their online "chat" dealyo they are getting in 320 more of the 43Qt EdgeStar units toward the end of July. I specifically asked if the 43Qt model had been discontinued and he said (typed) no...He said they are extremely popular and they have a hard time keeping them in stock.

We'll see...The :Princess: has given tentative approval at that price point to dump the cooler and join the fridge / freezer posse :)

nakman
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
I would go with the bigger one. I've got a 45 qt Engel and while it works great I always have it filled to the top, even for short trips. It can be a pain to dig past the cheese & grapes & yogurts & tortillas to get down to the bottles below... and I end up spending a lot of time removing then replacing items on top just to find something buried at the bottom.

Groucho has a seriously huge fridge, and I'm becoming more and more jealous of the usefullness of it. I wouldn't worry about the battery drain from a larger fridge, once the truck is running it's more or less free energy anyway. And while it's off that's why you have 2 batteries and real time voltage display... :) you can still leave it parked for a couple of days, no prob. And to fill that extra space just toss in more waters, or other bottled goodies. Only downside is the weight, IMO, and that only matters if you plan on taking the fridge out.

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't worry about the battery drain from a larger fridge, once the truck is running it's more or less free energy anyway.
I leave mine running all the time, either plugged into the wall or in the back of the truck. It's always got something in it, never know when you'll be called upon to supply a cold barley pop. But it's rarely more than half a case of PBR or Miller High Life cans, so total mass is sorta small and there is a lot of empty air. A couple of times after weekends (particularly 3 day holiday ones) my truck has started really slow. So battery drain I think is worth considering in a secondary way at least. Although having a second battery does more or less negate the dead starting battery issue, but I'm starting to think that I'm the only person in the world who doesn't have all that fancy sh!t.

Uncle Ben
07-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Mine is on 24/7/365. With the group 31 it will last 5 days on fridge and 3 days as a freezer without the truck running. One problem with the gp31 is it does take a while to charge back up so start and stop daily driving will not let it peak. If my smart batt meter shows the second batt is getting weak I will put the trickle charger on it over night and I'm good for months again! A hour or longer road trip will always do the trick also!

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Mine is on 24/7/365. With the group 31 it will last 5 days on fridge and 3 days as a freezer.
Does your truck get parked inside a garage? I was cutting the grass Saturday and my Engel is pretty much running 50% duty sitting in front of the house (it's gets parked on the street) in the sun. I have a transit bag on it and started putting a sunshade on its sides to see if it runs less. So 3 days on my group 31 is with it running a whole heck of a lot.

Uncle Ben
07-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Does your truck get parked inside a garage? I was cutting the grass Saturday and my Engel is pretty much running 50% duty sitting in front of the house (it's gets parked on the street) in the sun. I have a transit bag on it and started putting a sunshade on its sides to see if it runs less. So 3 days on my group 31 is with it running a whole heck of a lot.

It does sit in the sun and I don't have a transit bag but my rear windows are tinted pretty dark with very reflective 3m tint. How long is your commute? You might not be peaking the battery charge.

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
It does sit in the sun and I don't have a transit bag but my rear windows are tinted pretty dark with very reflective 3m tint. How long is your commute? You might not be peaking the battery charge.
I am totally undercharging, I know that. Although once a week I do typically have a long drive to Jeffco that gets in 30 miles or more. Normally I do 14 miles and the afternoon one is slow. I do throw it on a trickle charger usually every other weekend now, but I've probably already eaten up a lot life my battery's life. Not to mention it's a Red Top, which hate trickle discharges anyway.

nakman
07-01-2009, 09:01 AM
UB, you're going to really like the real time voltage feedback, just sayin' ;)

short story: My garage is hot, like 85 average right now. Last week I shopped for the Ham Radio camping trip on Tuesday after work, loaded all our food into the fridge and turned it on, set to 1.5. I had 12.5 volts at that time. Wednesday morning, it was down to 12.1 volts. By Wednesday after work, 11.7 volts. Thursday morning, 11.39.. but I was still able to start the truck however it was a slow crank. Yes I could have flipped a toggle switch to jump myself but didn't want to.. was curious how the truck would start.

The 15 minute drive to work got the battery back up to right around 12 volts, but by lunch it was down to 11.73 again. Drove for about 30 minutes at lunch, and got it up to over 12, but again it was under 12 by the time I went home, then just over 12 when I got home. I then parked it outside, hooked up to the camper, so it could sit in the hot sun all day. Friday night after work I jumped in the 80 and saw about 11.5 volts, and again it was a slow crank but it started. Drove 1.5 hours to Guanella pass, and voltage was back up to 13.11 where I'm used to seeing it, in the 12.9-13.1 range just after the truck stops, and in the 12.5 range when the truck's been sitting for a while. That's how it is still today... though I unloaded all the junk from the fridge on Sunday and shut it off, since I don't drive the 80 every day I usually don't leave the fridge on.

Jacket
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I think the 60+ quart is just too big and unnecessary. The 43/45/50 has served my family of 4 just fine on week-long trips, without being excessively huge and bulky. Space seems to be more and more critical with multiple kids and all the extra gear. You can't solve the top layer/bottom layer problem unless you get multiple small fridges, but a nice way to "help" is to buy/make a slide for it so that you can get into the fridge easier.

I suppose if you wanted to load the fridge with a full 24 pack of beer, a bottle of chardonnay, and juice boxes (plus food) for a week the 60 qt might be a winner, but I don't mind rotating beverages and the cool-down process is very fast.

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I suppose if you wanted to load the fridge with a full 24 pack of beer, a bottle of chardonnay, and juice boxes (plus food) for a week the 60 qt might be a winner, but I don't mind rotating beverages and the cool-down process is very fast.
This was the biggest mental hurdle, that you don't need to load 2 cases of Coke and beer at a time. If you are driving a lot in particular you just need to load up enough for the next day or two. Maybe less for beer since I try not to let cold beer warm and than re-cool, that tends to skunk. But Coke, Naglenes of water, etc., I just put in a few at a time.

nakman
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
That's definitely my problem and it is a huge mental hurdle, coming from years of filling coolers with suitcases of cheap beer then ice & food on top. Once I get all the drinks in there there's barely enough room for a jar of 505 salsa... and yeah allowing the beer to get warm then make it cold again just doesn't sit right, and resorting to drinking a warm one, buying more in Utah, or just having less doesn't seem acceptable, I feel like I'm too old for that.. I want a bigger fridge.

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
That's definitely my problem and it is a huge mental hurdle, coming from years of filling coolers with suitcases of cheap beer then ice & food on top. Once I get all the drinks in there there's barely enough room for a jar of 505 salsa... and yeah allowing the beer to get warm then make it cold again just doesn't sit right, and resorting to drinking a warm one, buying more in Utah, or just having less doesn't seem acceptable, I feel like I'm too old for that.. I want a bigger fridge.
Beauty of the freeze part is that you can dial that sucker down to 5 and keep 42 quarts of ice cubes, which get transferred to your overloaded cooler...

Uncle Ben
07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
UB, you're going to really like the real time voltage feedback, just sayin' ;)

short story: My garage is hot, like 85 average right now. Last week I shopped for the Ham Radio camping trip on Tuesday after work, loaded all our food into the fridge and turned it on, set to 1.5. I had 12.5 volts at that time. Wednesday morning, it was down to 12.1 volts. By Wednesday after work, 11.7 volts. Thursday morning, 11.39.. but I was still able to start the truck however it was a slow crank. Yes I could have flipped a toggle switch to jump myself but didn't want to.. was curious how the truck would start.

The 15 minute drive to work got the battery back up to right around 12 volts, but by lunch it was down to 11.73 again. Drove for about 30 minutes at lunch, and got it up to over 12, but again it was under 12 by the time I went home, then just over 12 when I got home. I then parked it outside, hooked up to the camper, so it could sit in the hot sun all day. Friday night after work I jumped in the 80 and saw about 11.5 volts, and again it was a slow crank but it started. Drove 1.5 hours to Guanella pass, and voltage was back up to 13.11 where I'm used to seeing it, in the 12.9-13.1 range just after the truck stops, and in the 12.5 range when the truck's been sitting for a while. That's how it is still today... though I unloaded all the junk from the fridge on Sunday and shut it off, since I don't drive the 80 every day I usually don't leave the fridge on.

Why do I read into your post that the fridge is on your main battery? If thats the case what is your second battery for?

nakman
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Why do I read into your post that the fridge is on your main battery? If thats the case what is your second battery for?

100% backup. Or switch to both during winching for more amps.. but the idea is run the main one as dead as you want, then flip the switch and always get home.

edit: it's a Hellroaring, thing, you wouldn't understand.. :)

Caribou Sandstorm
07-01-2009, 11:19 AM
That's it if the Ham license was not enough indication, I am a confirmed nerd.

Why? Because I specifially hopped in here, not to read epic stories of trails driven but to read every word in this thread...I find it entriguing to here all the perspectives and ponder my own refigerator experiences..

Yep I am a nerd.

I too had to change my habits of overloading sodas in the frige..They cool down so fast I can place a few in and 30 mins later they are ready to go...

Smaller is better, in this instance, IMHO...haha

nakman
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Chris I just admitted to logging battery voltage over a three-day period, you're in good company man! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/electric.gif

Tch2fly
07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
but the idea is run the main one as dead as you want, then flip the switch and always get home.

That's like taking a shower with the door open because you have a mop ;)
(don't get me started on "self-jumping" :D )

Need more fridge room occasionally? get one of these Twozone unit (http://www.twozone.com.au/tz32.html)

http://www.twozone.com.au/images/tz32.jpg

nakman
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
(don't get me started on "self-jumping" :D )

Need more fridge room occasionally? get one of these Twozone unit (http://www.twozone.com.au/tz32.html)

http://www.twozone.com.au/images/tz32.jpg

Oooo, that is cool! If only I hadn't done the mod that made my lid open sideways..

MDH33
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Sorry to hijack, but regarding dual batteries: I want to add a second battery to power the fridge, but I'm not sure what would be needed to connect a second 12volt cigarette lighter style plug. Would I be able to wire it direct to the second battery, or would it require a second fuse panel as well? How do you dual battery folks have yours wired and where did you get the parts?

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
(don't get me started on "self-jumping"
I've considered this approach and honestly to me it makes sense. Even proper batteries lose capacity with deep discharges, so if you beat up one battery only, over time your replacement cost should be lower. IOW, if running one battery brutally eats it up 30% faster but the secondary battery lasts 100% longer, you spend less over time. I suppose the key is how much wear and tear running deep trickle discharges has on the main and how floating the second without ever discharging will ruin it. The reasoning behind this is that the second battery is essentially a UPS battery and they can go very long before needing replacement, depending on how good your float charger is.

corsair23
07-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Chris I just admitted to logging battery voltage over a three-day period, you're in good company man! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/electric.gif

That seriously made me :lmao:

nakman
07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Martin all my additional 12v plugs are wired off of additional fuse panels from Summit Racing, I've got one under the hood and one in the cargo area. So it's just one big wire to the battery of choice, a nice solid ground, then the little stuff runs off the fuse block.

As for wiring the dual setup, there are several ways to slice it, as you've already seen in this thread. Plug & Play fans like Romer & myself went for the hellroaring setup, and their basic backup system. http://www.hellroaring.com/

:kevin:, OTOH, is more of a dual-battery approach, in that some stuff draws from each battery. There's still a switch involved so just one of the batteries can be isolated. I know Christo & crew have done several of these, however not sure the specifics...

For pretty comprehensive research, check out some of the options put together by the 80 collective.. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/104630-faq-addition-dual-battery-set-ups.html

edit: and I will admit, of all the mods I've done this one was one of the more enjoyable, and most satisfying. Not sure why other than at the end it really felt like I "did" something.

Jacket
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
^Same here. I've got one of those Blue Sea fuse blocks that I ran from the battery into the cab, and then the accessories all link to the fuse block. To me, it's easier and cleaner that way. That being said, you can certainly run wires off your 2nd battery, and connect them to a 12 volt receptacle - just make sure you put an in-line fuse on the power lead near the battery at something just above the power draw of the accessory (the 12 volt plug will probably have another fuse in it).

Tch2fly
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I've considered this approach and honestly to me it makes sense. Even proper batteries lose capacity with deep discharges, so if you beat up one battery only, over time your replacement cost should be lower. IOW, if running one battery brutally eats it up 30% faster but the secondary battery lasts 100% longer, you spend less over time. I suppose the key is how much wear and tear running deep trickle discharges has on the main and how floating the second without ever discharging will ruin it. The reasoning behind this is that the second battery is essentially a UPS battery and they can go very long before needing replacement, depending on how good your float charger is.

I don't believe I "beat up" either of my batteries. I run the truck from the normal battery and use the aux for all accessories that I may want or need to run with the ign off. I can isolate that system from the starting system and if I did run something until the battery was "dead" the truck will start normally. I guess we can see what happens long term cost-wise but frankly that isn't a concern for me; reliability and simplicity are the driving factors in my decision.
My system is fully automatic, no switches to fuss with or leave in the wrong position. :thumb:

Different methods of isolating batteries is separate from my comment about self jump capability.
I tend to pick on folks who tout the self-jump capabilities as being important in selecting a dual battery set-up. It is an interesting bit of whiz-bang, techno stuff but as I have said eslewhere .... if you have to self-jump enough to require installing that setup, then your main priority should be to figure why your main battery keeps going dead :D

Uncle Ben
07-01-2009, 01:20 PM
100% backup. Or switch to both during winching for more amps.. but the idea is run the main one as dead as you want, then flip the switch and always get home.

edit: it's a Hellroaring, thing, you wouldn't understand.. :)

Interesting concept. I'm into the "leave the main alone and it will never leave you stranded theory while watching a movie, blending frozen drinks and having cold or frozen stuff within reach of the back window and "don't worry....be happy..." school of thought." Has served me well so far....and NO, I don't have a Latte' maker in the 80! I can but it's a principal thang...

DaveInDenver
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't believe I "beat up" either of my batteries.
You are using up battery life just using them. A charge-discharge cycle is taking a battery from fully charged to defined discharge and returning it. By 'beating up', I mean that all the partial discharges are cumulative and starting and winching are harsh on any battery and a slow discharge is not trivial to the second battery's life. So might as well not use the second battery at all since you are being hard already on one battery. The slow fridge discharge, if kept within the nominal range and you avoid running below normal discharge, will probably end up minimally effecting the main battery life of how we use our batteries.

This is my point, all batteries have some number of cycles in them. Say that cycle life is 200. If you do a partial discharge each day just starting the truck, you might use a cycle-equivalent each week, so the life in your car will be 200 weeks. If you utilize the battery for starting as well as running a fridge in a deeper discharge you do use up more life. Say that mean it will only last 150 weeks in your truck in this harsher scenario.

But let's say the second battery in float uses 1 cycle per month, it might last 200 months. But using it in a deep discharge will use a full cycle every 2 weeks, now it only lasts 100 months. So by holding the second battery in float-only I might increase the life expected from the reserve-only battery by 100% and use up the main battery only 25% faster. The replacement cost will be lower over the life term since you are replacing the main battery periodically anyway while the reserve/second battery life increases.

These are all just back of napkin theories, like I say I am still just running one battery and so it's just me working through the what-ifs. Part of this is why I have not bought a second battery, too. It is still cheaper for me to buy a new battery every 4 years instead of 5 than to spend the money on a second battery, building an isolator and dealing with installing it. It costs me about $10 per year more (so I expect $40/year instead of $30) to budget for replacing a battery sooner than spending $200 for a second battery of less utility. So I have 7 more years to worry about a second battery before I start to negatively impact my budget. Hopefully by then we are back with positive cash flow and I might be able to afford to put something other than ramen noddles in my fridge.

MDH33
07-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Martin all my additional 12v plugs are wired off of additional fuse panels from Summit Racing, I've got one under the hood and one in the cargo area. So it's just one big wire to the battery of choice, a nice solid ground, then the little stuff runs off the fuse block.

^Same here. I've got one of those Blue Sea fuse blocks that I ran from the battery into the cab, and then the accessories all link to the fuse block. To me, it's easier and cleaner that way. That being said, you can certainly run wires off your 2nd battery, and connect them to a 12 volt receptacle - just make sure you put an in-line fuse on the power lead near the battery at something just above the power draw of the accessory (the 12 volt plug will probably have another fuse in it).

When connecting the new fuse block to the second battery, what gauge wire is recommended? Also, can the ground for the second fuse block be run direct from the second battery ground? Clueless about wiring... :o

Jacket
07-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Of course there's a scientific answer, and I probably crunched some numbers at the time, but it's been purged from short term memory. I'm pretty sure I wired it with 8 gauge from the battery to the block (back of my cab), and my normal tendency is to drop 1 level from what I determine I need (which means that 10 or 12 is probably sufficient). Everything I run from the fuse block is 18 gauge.

It ultimately depends on how much power you will draw (max draw from all accessories) and over what distance. If it's just a fridge and a radio, then 8 gauge is probably way over built.

If you google 'what wire gauge', or poke around at some of the car stereo sites there's usually a lot of good information about wiring guidance.

corsair23
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
If you google 'what wire gauge', or poke around at some of the car stereo sites there's usually a lot of good information about wiring guidance.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm :thumb:

I "think" the answer is yes on your second question Martin but often it is easier to find a closer ground near the aux fuse block rather than running a big ground back to the battery...I'm pretty clueless about wiring too :hill:

Jacket
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Missed the ground question...but yes, I think a round trip of like gauge wiring is the best way to go (and its not that much more trouble to run two wires instead of one): red from battery to fuse block, and black from the block back to the battery ground.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Edgestar 42 QT refrigerator.....$400.00

Cart Toys installing it.........$75.00

Cold beer or wife's birthday cake staying cool......Priceless

Sorry I read all the notes about ground wire and thought man I am glad I had that installed..sounds like I would have screwed that up if I had tried it on my own....Which I am going to do on the HAM install, can't afford to have Ca toys do it this time...I guess I better go back and read..

MDH33
07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Chris, It will be great to compare our installs as we use them. I have the old-shool rig, Engel 45, and I'm opting for the dual battery, split charge system. You'll have the new school rig and single battery. :beer:

rover67
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, my fridge came in the Wed of the meeting. I ordered it on sunday online and Wed after work it was at my doorstep.

I installed it thursday and have been running it nonstop since then, so about a week and a half now. I have to say it has been doing great. I set it at 37 and it stays there, and is pretty quiet too. So far, I have let it run for right at 36 hours straight off of my one big optima yellow top and the truck still started fine... a little slow, but not scary slow. It has been pretty warm lately too and the truck sits in the sun all day when parked.

Anyways, I am stoked, this thing is great. I love having cold water and beer after a nice long MTB ride when i get back to the truck, and with my normal schedule the battery stays charged fine it seems.

So like I said, so far the battery stays charged, but I'd like to build it so I don't ever have to worry about it. I think I want to do dual batteries and a split charge system. That way I can listen to tunes, leave the HAM and CB turned on, and run the fridge when parked at camp. plus that single yellow top is now almost 10 years old.... and i am just waiting for the day it dies.

I saw the hellroaring setup and it looks pretty cool, but the national luna setup looks really sweet.

What split charge systems are you guys running?

rover67
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Whoa. I just surfed mud for a while.. my brain is mush. Can you hook accesories to the aux batt on the hellroaring setup? That's all I really want.. is my accesories hooked up the aux batt, and when the motor is running both batts charge like normal.

corsair23
07-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Whoa. I just surfed mud for a while.. my brain is mush. Can you hook accesories to the aux batt on the hellroaring setup? That's all I really want.. is my accesories hooked up the aux batt, and when the motor is running both batts charge like normal.

Marco,

Look back in this thread to around post #36 or so...I "think" with the Hellroaring setup the thought is one battery is the primary and everything runs off it and the second battery is the emergency backup. If you use up all the juice on your primary battery you flip the switch and you have power to start the rig.

I'm back and forth on this myself...I like what sounds like the simplicity of the Hellroaring system but for some reason I've got it stuck in my head that a dual battery system is supposed to be set up so you run most of the accessories off the 2nd battery and leave your primary battery for car stuff :confused:.

Plus, it seems to me that having so much stuff wired to just one battery would be difficult at best. My primary battery is already getting busy and I haven't even added an aux fuse block off of it or anything else...

Oh and my Edgestar arrived last week :D - The big 63Qt bugger. I haven't hooked it up to the truck yet but I've had it plugged in in the house since it arrived with pop/water inside. I'm pretty happy so far. Pretty quiet. My only concern is the temp seems to fluctuate a bit. I think I have mine set for 40F and it seem to fluctuate around to +/- 3 degress of that when it isn't dead on. Not sure what is "typical" and maybe that is pretty typical.

rover67
07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I saw that it was supposed to be hooked up liek that but was wondering if it could be done differently.. If it charges both then why not right?

My fridge is set at 37 and it baaaaaarley freeses the water bottles. like a slight crust of ice. don't know if this is what you're seeing or not and didn't know if this was normal for one of these but figured it might be. I haven't watched the temp on mine very closely since it just sits in the truck with the read out towards the back..

glad you got yours though :)

Convert
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Can you hook accesories to the aux batt on the hellroaring setup?

Yes, that is how mine is set up. aux battery powers the second fuse box, flip the switch and both battery's are available for winching

corsair23
07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I installed it thursday and have been running it nonstop since then, so about a week and a half now.

Marco,

What wire size did you use? I'll be wiring mine direct to the battery for now (someday I'll install my :cool: aux fuse block...someday).

My plan was to run power back to the cargo area to a cigarette plug. So, wire off battery, inline fuse close to the battery, back to a cigarette plug in the back, then plug in the fridge.

I used the calculator I linked to above as well as this Blue Sea beta version (link (http://beta.circuitwizard.bluesea.com/#)) and it looks like 12ga would be best and limit the voltage drop to ~2-3%. 10ga would limit the voltage drop further but 12ga seems like overkill as it is...

For the electrical gurus...The fridge plug has a fuse (not sure of sizing) so what size fuse would you put in the inline fuse by the battery? Fridge supposedly pulls 5.5amp max so should I put something like a 10amp fuse by the battery?

rover67
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a Subwoofer amp in the rear quarter behind the interior panel that I tied into. It has 4 Ga wire feeding it from the battery with a big inline fuse near the battery.

I went to NAPA and got a box that had 3 cigarette plugs in it and wired that to the amp power wire. It came with a built in circuit breaker so it was ready to go out of the box.

You could Ebay some amp power wire for cheap and add a sub panel in the back of the truck. That's basically where I'm headed...

I bet a 10 amp fuse would be fine, if it ever pops throw a 15 in there :).

Rezarf
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Jeff

If your run of wire isn't more than 20 feet or so, 12ga should be fine. I would make sure to fuse it properly... even better is a circuit breaker.

Can't wait to see it installed.

Drew

Caribou Sandstorm
07-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Ahhhh...The fridge thread lives....

Jeff, I am guessing the temp fluctuates because your fridge is bigger?

corsair23
07-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Jeff, I am guessing the temp fluctuates because your fridge is bigger?

Bigger and with nearly nothing in it :) - I didn't expect it to stay right at whatever I set it, just wondering what others have noticed (Edgestars, Engels, etc.) as far as temp fluctuations if they have...

My main concern would be setting it to 35F and having crap freeze and explode in the fridge if it fluctuates more than a few degrees. A 40F pop, water, or beer seems about right though :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Bigger and with nearly nothing in it :) - I didn't expect it to stay right at whatever I set it, just wondering what others have noticed (Edgestars, Engels, etc.) as far as temp fluctuations if they have...

My main concern would be setting it to 35F and having crap freeze and explode in the fridge if it fluctuates more than a few degrees. A 40F pop, water, or beer seems about right though :thumb:

That does happen. I've had solid water bottles before while everything else was perfect. It seems to happen when ambient temps are hot. Better to have frozen water than spoiled meat!

MDH33
07-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Just finished the dual battery install to power my Engel 45. Here's the write-up (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10372).

:beer:

Jacket
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

My ARB has been inconsistent at best, but seems to be worse when the truck is sitting in the hot sun. I just got back from a week camping in western Wyoming, and had it set at 33*F the whole week. Nothing ever froze on the bottom, and the stuff closer to the top stayed reasonably cold. But every fridge is going to be a bit different....

nuclearlemon
07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
for those that have had fridges for a while, is everyone on dual battery systems (it appears so)? eventually, i'll get dual batts, but it will be a while....got to pay for next 6mos insurance, the trip to black hills, roof, etc first ;). fortunately, getting rid of the two cruisers has helped finances quite a bit, so hopefully most will be paid off soon. any length tests on one battery besides nakmans?

i'll be going with the wire the cig liter off the the main battery (p.o. installed aux fuseblock) for now. i see it looks like 12ga/10a fuse should be significant. i will most likely leave it off except for trips. should i block the lid open when not in use to keep smells/mold/etc down?

transit bags are cheap, but do they really make a difference?

waeco owners, what does the turbo button on the control panel do? does it make it cool super fast?

thanks for any help:)

rover67
07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
my fridge has run for about 36hrs in hot temps without starting the truck. I only have one battery right now.

If you drive it every day it won't be a problem.

Also, forgot to mention I have a group 31 deep cycle battery as my main..

nuclearlemon
07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
my fridge has run for about 36hrs in hot temps without starting the truck. I only have one battery right now.

If you drive it every day it won't be a problem.

Also, forgot to mention I have a group 31 deep cycle battery as my main..

cool...good to know. i'm running an optima blue top, group 28 for now. mostly a daily driver. as mentioned, it will be unplugged most of the time, but good to know that while on camping trips, etc, i should be ok for now.

rover67
07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
OK, quick update.

Parked the truck with the fridge sunday night after getting back from the GTR.

I started it today at noon and it was a slow start but it cranked.

that's about 4 days and 18 hrs. Or about 114hrs.

I opened it about 6 times to get beer and ribs out, but that's about it. we've also had cooler temps (rain)

-Marco

nakman
02-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Any updated thoughts on the EdgeStar? thinking of getting the big one like you have, Marco..

rover67
02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
It's pretty much been in my truck running since I bought it. I've used it for emergency stuff in the house, and kept it plugged in in the garage for cold beer when not in the truck.

I like it so far. the plastic handles kinda started to give way from having it strapped down the whole time, but I guess I knew that was going to happen.

I think Chris has also been running his pretty much non stop since he got it with no problems.

The temp fluctuates in it a little bit when it's empty but I guess most of these types of fridges do that. When it's full it stays stable. Its also not super silent, but it hasn't kept me from sleeping next to it in the truck.

Call the small appliance website up and see if they have any "blems".

Anywho, so far I like it a lot.

nakman
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
brand new $500 with free shipping http://www.compactappliance.com/FP860-Spacious-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP860,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Freezers-Portable_Fridge_Freezer

rover67
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
That'd be sweet for the family...

You could put all kinds of good eats in there for Moab too..... You'd eat like a king all week.

SRT08BUS
02-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Chris D. have you added another battery yet, and if so what's it look like?

Caribou Sandstorm
02-06-2010, 03:19 PM
No new battery yet and no additional battery installed. I was thinking about getting one of those yellow top blems at that place in Golden but I did not get over there.

I love my fridge and it works great. I have the 42Qt size and I think Marco has that size also. Jeff Z has the larger version.

If you can get a blem on the fridge go for it. I had one and returned it for a perfect one (what a dork) because mine is now really scratched..Great place for off road sticker collection....

I did by the 2 year warranty..Which is up this May. Hard to believe Rubicon was 2 summers ago already..

OMG..Tim I just looked up that godzilla version you are looking at getting..86Qts is big...I think Jeff Z said he thought the temp fluctuated a bit because of the size. Mine does not seem to do that very much. But for the family this may be a better size. For 100.00 more then I paid, you get double the capacity. Not bad.

corsair23
02-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Tim,

We've been really happy with ours...We don't have the BIG boy though...That sucker is huge...I thought the 63qt was big but dang :eek:

We've have the fridge plugged in 24x7 pretty much since it arrived - either in the truck or in the house. Still running and keeps stuff cool :) - Temp fluctuates +/-3F of so of the setting and I think it draws more power than others.

Size wise, the 63QT takes up a good chunk of the rear of the 80 but sitting on the floor I can get the lid to fully open. My biggest concern is around the handles...Like Marco mentions they seem a little weak. The few times I've used it in the truck I've just used straps on the handles to secure it to the D-rings in the floor.

FWIW, I bought either the 3yr or 5yr extended warranty just in case. When I spoke with them the guy told me that the fridges go on sale all the time (especially around the holidays) so take your time selecting.

nakman
02-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Still haven't decided.. they are both essentially the same height and same length, where they differ is the big one is roughly 6" deeper - 23.65" vs. 17.9". The big one is 71 pounds compared to 57 pounds, and $500 vs. $450.

Primary use for this is the camper, I'm going to scrap the 3-way fridge and just use this instead in the same location I was going too hook the 3-way up, by the door. The only compromise is I wouldn't be able to access the fridge with the camper closed unless I first removed it, and it won't run on propane. One the plus side, I'd be able to load it up inside the house, then just put it inside the camper before I shove off. Also could leave it out altogether on short trips with just the Engel in the 80 is enough, and free up floor space in the camper. Plus I could use the fridge elsewhere, including the truck.. :)

But my hangup is the door opening on the camper may not be wide enough, I've measured and it looks like I've got about 1/4" to spare, and am thinking that may be too tight when I've got a 71 pound fridge full of 30 pounds of nutrition.. and no way to get my hand around it to wiggle it in. I'm leaning towards the 63 now.

LARGEONE
02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Tim...I called the guy at Compact Appliance before Christmas and he had an open box unit within one week. He called me and asked if I wanted it before they posted it to their site. Really nice guy and great customer service. I ended up getting the 43qt (same size as Chris and Marco) and I also bought a three year warranty. Getting the open box item saved me $200 so even with the warranty, I spent less than $400 shipped to my door. I really like it, but I haven't really tested the durability (strapping it down) yet. You're more than willing to swing by and borrow it for a bit. I don't think I'll be using it until this summer now!

corsair23
02-07-2010, 11:26 PM
But my hangup is the door opening on the camper may not be wide enough, I've measured and it looks like I've got about 1/4" to spare, and am thinking that may be too tight when I've got a 71 pound fridge full of 30 pounds of nutrition.. and no way to get my hand around it to wiggle it in. I'm leaning towards the 63 now.

Well...What I can tell you is that I don't even try loading my fridge into the back of the LX when it is loaded up...No frickin way. Tried it once and dang near had to go to the hospital afterwards :eek: :lmao:

I load the fridge in the LX empty and then load the baskets full of drinks/food into the fridge. Trying to load the fridge into a tight spot, fully loaded, would be a real challenge IMO especially alone. But I bet you could figure out a way to fab up a mini hoist setup to get that sucker loaded :D.

The 63Qt unit will swallow up a lot of stuff, but even then I'm amazed at how much room milk, pop, :beer: etc. take up. I need to reset my thinking of only having x amount of pop, :beer:, etc. in there at a time and replace the cold ones with warm ones as needed.

nakman
02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah Jeff you've heard my rant on the smaller 43 quart fridges before... one 12-pack of good beer, a jar of salsa, and a bag of grapes and you're done- I know it's possible to pack smarter, but why? I'm on vacation.. I'd rather have seemingly endless supply of food & drink on hand, you never know who may stopping by..

Paul I'll call them later this week and ask about a second or open box, great tip thank you. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah Jeff you've heard my rant on the smaller 43 quart fridges before... one 12-pack of good beer, a jar of salsa, and a bag of grapes and you're done- I know it's possible to pack smarter, but why? I'm on vacation.. I'd rather have seemingly endless supply of food & drink on hand, you never know who may stopping by..

Paul I'll call them later this week and ask about a second or open box, great tip thank you. :thumb:

Nak, If you call find out if you can get discount if you buy more than one at a time. I plan on putting a bigger one in my 80 and moving my old Norcold to the 40.

nakman
02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Nak, If you call find out if you can get discount if you buy more than one at a time. I plan on putting a bigger one in my 80 and moving my old Norcold to the 40.

They don't have any scratch & dents or open boxes, but yes he'll do $20 off on both of them, so $428.20 each for the 63qt. if shipped to the same address. I'm in if you are, just left you a message...

Mendocino
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
The 43 Qts are listed (http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Freezers) at $398.70 with free shipping as of this morning on their site.

Uncle Ben
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
They don't have any scratch & dents or open boxes, but yes he'll do $20 off on both of them, so $428.20 each for the 63qt. if shipped to the same address. I'm in if you are, just left you a message...

Let me go messure and make sure thats what I want. Thanks Nak!

nakman
02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Let me go messure and make sure thats what I want. Thanks Nak!

Well?? I think they're only an hour ahead of us, so still time to sneak this in..

nakman
02-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Impressive- I ordered this on Tuesday afternoon, it showed up today. Had it shipped to work since we've got a receiving department, didn't want the neighborhood UPS guy to just toss this on the front step.

First impressions are all positive- man this thing is huge, I'm glad I didn't go for the big one. This should work out great in the camper.. also it was already cold, didn't even have to plug it in! :)

Here it is in my office..

rover67
02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
looks like it's missing all the beer!!

LARGEONE
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Tim...that's a great price for the big'n!!! They seem to have good customer service...when you call, a real person picks up the phone!!!

Mendocino
02-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Congratulations! That looks real nice. BTW-with that stack of cash on the desk next to it maybe you could buy the rest of us one.:cool:

Jacket
02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Looks like you found a perfect spot for it. Better order another one for your camper. :cheers:

nakman
02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Looks like you found a perfect spot for it. Better order another one for your camper. :cheers:

The thought actually crossed my mind... then again if I really wanted a fridge in here I'd steal the dorm fridge out of the conference room.

But yeah Jeff too bad I can't spend those million dollar bills huh? :D

corsair23
02-19-2010, 04:40 PM
:cool: Tim

bigbluefj
02-19-2010, 06:06 PM
so how do you tie this down?? and what size did you get Tim?

Corbet
02-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Well if I run out of cold beer at CM10 I know who to go and hit up. You'll have no excuse for not having one with that thing.

nakman
02-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Well if I run out of cold beer at CM10 I know who to go and hit up. You'll have no excuse for not having one with that thing.

come on over Corbet, there will be plenty.. between this in the camper and the Engel in the 80, we should be ok for a while..

Kevin I'm not sure on holding it down, will need to come up with something. It's true what's been said about the handles, I could feel them flexing just carrying it to the truck empty, not sure that's the best tie-down solution. I'll stare at it a bit again tomorrow.

corsair23
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Kevin I'm not sure on holding it down, will need to come up with something. It's true what's been said about the handles, I could feel them flexing just carrying it to the truck empty, not sure that's the best tie-down solution. I'll stare at it a bit again tomorrow.

I'll be patiently waiting for you to come up with a solution that I can blatantly copy :D (if you don't mind that is)

rover67
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I like the next product possibility here.... Nakman Edgestar handle tie down replacements. Nice nylon replacement peices that work with tiedowns...

Caribou Sandstorm
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Here is what I did, hasn't moved since I installed just before Rubithon.

I drilled 2 eye bolts through the body and used rubber tape to seal it, probably not very sealed but have had no issues...mounted straps from handle to eyebolts..Solid, never moves.

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Rubithon-2008/Rubithon-2008-014/322479564_3HTsu-M.jpg

bigbluefj
02-20-2010, 02:54 AM
I see a new product for www.gamiviti.com (http://www.gamiviti.com) coming soon :D:D

nakman
02-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I see a new product for www.gamiviti.com (http://www.gamiviti.com) coming soon :D:D

Hey as long as you're poking around on there buy an antenna mount! :D

cabouchard
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
OK Folks, if you would please indulge me. In the descriptions I see on these, and on Edgestars web site it lays it out as Width, Height, Depth. Now call me silly but height and depth seem to describe the same thing to me.

I would think it should be Length, Width, Height. Can someone do me a favor and break it down for me...is depth really the width, and width really the length, and height really the height???? Not trying to be thick, but I have a very specific space I need to use it in.
That leads me to my next question. Anybody have any opinion on these fridge's working in the desert on a boat...regularly 100+ degrees. Any angle issues? ambient temperature issues?

Thanks!!!!

Corbet
02-20-2010, 09:38 PM
OK Folks, if you would please indulge me. In the descriptions I see on these, and on Edgestars web site it lays it out as Width, Height, Depth. Now call me silly but height and depth seem to describe the same thing to me.

I would think it should be Length, Width, Height. Can someone do me a favor and break it down for me...is depth really the width, and width really the length, and height really the height???? Not trying to be thick, but I have a very specific space I need to use it in.
That leads me to my next question. Anybody have any opinion on these fridge's working in the desert on a boat...regularly 100+ degrees. Any angle issues? ambient temperature issues?

Thanks!!!!

I did not look at the site but I'm going to assume you can exchange debth for length. As far as working on your boat you should be fine provided you can power it. The 100+ degrees will not hurt it as much as sitting in direct sunlight will. If your talking bot,h the compressor will probably alway be on. It will still be cold inside but drawing a lot of power. I had my Engel in Vegas a few summers ago. 114 outside temps. Sitting in my truck parked much hotter. Fridge worked great but used a lot more power.

corsair23
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Just measured mine to verify...

The 63Qt unit states:

Dimensions:
Outside Dimensions: Height: 20.7", Width: 28.1", Depth: 17.9"

Inside Dimensions: Height: 15", Width: 23.5", Depth: 12.5," compressor step runs the full depth at 7.75" h and 7.75"w.

Height is height - It is 20.7" high or tall
Width - You can call that the length...or distance between the handles
Depth - I would tend to call this the width...or distance from the latch side to the hinge side

So, basically what you said :hill:

Just in case...I put this together...No comment on my lack of Paint skillz :rolleyes:

EDIT: I took some actual measurements and updated the pic

cabouchard
02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
I appreciate it very very much.

Now another question for you, when you open the lid are the hinges recessed so that the lid doesn't cause any extra depth when you have the lid open at lets say a 90 degree angle?

BTW, your paint skills are far better than mine!!!

corsair23
02-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I appreciate it very very much.

Now another question for you, when you open the lid are the hinges recessed so that the lid doesn't cause any extra depth when you have the lid open at lets say a 90 degree angle?

BTW, your paint skills are far better than mine!!!

I took some actual measurements of my fridge/freezer and updated the picture above...As you can see, the listed dimensions vs. actual are a bit different. I'm guessing the dimensions they list are strictly for the outside case without handles, hinges, latches, etc.

As for the lid, the hinges are NOT recessed...To open the lid 90 degrees you'll need about an additional 2 1/4" of room. Actually, to open the lid at all you'll probably need about that much additional room.

So for the FP630 that updated 19" of depth needed really needs to be ~21 1/4".

Hope that helps

:cheers:

cabouchard
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Your information is greatly appreciated!!!!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank You
Thank You
Thank You

corsair23
02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Your information is greatly appreciated!!!!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Happy to help :thumb:

nakman
02-21-2010, 11:08 PM
you know that's a good point about the lid- not only do you need to have clearance behind it, but that depth is going to be added to the height as soon as you open the door. When the door is fully open on this 63 quart Edge Star, it measures 37" to the top. I can't open this fridge all the way when it's inside my truck with the topper on, only about halfway.. my smaller Engel opens all the way though in the same space.

edit: picture with lid :hill:

bigbluefj
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
So i joined the Edge Star culb this morning by ordering the FP630 63qt unit, can't wait till i leave going to be like xmas at robbies when i get there..

Kevin

bigbluefj
03-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah my fridge came in today day at robbies...

nakman
03-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Right on, Kevin! You're going to dig it..

I'll be patiently waiting for you to come up with a solution that I can blatantly copy :D (if you don't mind that is)

Ok this is what I came up with on Sunday. I'd remove the stock rubber feet from the fridge, and put some bolts in their place that I could use to slide into a custom foot clamp. This is modeled after now the Engel slide thing works.. then using black magic, I'd design & print some custom foot clamps. ;)

the thread type for the feet is your standard M8, same thing that comes out of your 3rd row seat brackets.

So then I made a plywood base onto which I could bolt random things, and temporarily bolted that down. Then I lined up the fridge, marked the location for at least a couple of my new foot clamps, then pulled the whole thing out and secured all 4. I found some random things in the garage that act as guides for sliding it in. Also by adjusting the gap between the bolt head and the jam nut, I was able to dial in a pretty snug fit. what do you think..

nakman
03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
It's not exactly easy to slide, but a lot of that has to do with the weight. I'm using one of the stock Engel fridge feet as a stopper, so it'll take a screwdriver to remove it, then I can slide this out. I think later I'll upgrade to an actual drawer slide, but for now the fridge is secure and operational...

edit: one point of caution with the new "bolt feet," is they will wreak havoc on painted surfaces, hardwood floors, etc. I wonder if I can find some of those plastic caps, like the 80 2nd row bolts have... well another day perhaps, I'm going to bed.

corsair23
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Pretty slick Nakgadgetman :hill:

But I ain't got no plywood in the back of my LX...I was hoping you'd come up with some metal dealyos that would be secured under the handles that you could attach straps to :)

DaveInDenver
03-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Those look awful small, I'd keep a strap on the handles the first time you take your Taco off highway. The Engel one in my truck, similar location near the back of the bed, has broken a couple of times. A lot of weight + a lot of bouncing + plastic bits = roaming fridge. The Engel uses metal slides but the base is plastic and I've had to heavily reinforce the plastic. Don't let me forget to show you the fridge mount next time I see you.

MDH33
03-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Very cool Tim. Are the "feet" on the Engel similar? If so, I might be interested in procuring 4 of those feet mounts. :thumb:

nakman
03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Martin the feet of the Engel are a smaller thread- but forget about replicating, I've already got an idea for a better way to do this- instead of the custom nylon pieces we'll bolt a big cutting board to the base of the fridge, then it will slide into a channel. This will get us by this weekend though for the next trip to Moab.

Jeff you should know by now I'm a plastics guy.. metal dealyos are a last resort. :)

Dave I've got the same Engel base in the 80. Maybe it's a coil vs. leaf spring thing, there's no question the ride is smoother and I've had no issues with the fridge base- mine is only screwed down to a piece of plywood in the 80 too. One thing that probably helps is it's shimmed in place by an adjacent drawer system, with usually a lot of junk on the other side of it, so even if the base flexed there's not much room for it to go?

MDH33
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Tim, What did you do for power to the fridge in your Taco? I noticed when I used my fridge in ours that the aux 12v plugs in the dash only worked with the key in the ignition and "on".

DaveInDenver
03-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Tim, What did you do for power to the fridge in your Taco? I noticed when I used my fridge in ours that the aux 12v plugs in the dash only worked with the key in the ignition and "on".
I ended up putting a 12V receptacle in my bed that runs straight to the battery with 8AWG wire and a 20A fuse. I can then use this to run something else if I want, like a compressor or blender.

But FWIW on our old 4Runner there was a relay in the fusebox under the dash that controlled this. I pulled the relay and made a jumper that made it so the aux outlets all stayed on all the time. In my pickup I have never done this, though, since I use the cigarette lighter wire as the ignition-on indicator to other relays. A few minutes with the FSM wiring diagrams and you'll find the relay that controls this. Then two spade terminals and a 2 inch piece of wire (I would use 16AWG at least)...

nakman
03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I've got a Painless harness screwed under the dash, above where the clutch pedal would have been (probably using one of those threaded holes). So far it's just the driving light relay on the switched on side, and this new fridge cord on the always hot side. The wire runs behind the kick panel, under the plastic thing you step over at the door opening, then pokes down through the grommet under the driver's seat, same grommet as the factory harness. Then along the same frame rail, then up and into one of those big grommets on the inside of the bed.

I'm using my newly patented vehicle wiring method- extension cord. :hill:

satchel
08-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I just got the 63 qt Edgestar in last week. Plugged it in to my house A/C wiring and it went from 87 degrees to 35 degrees in about 50 minutes on fast freeze mode. I was quite happy with those results. I set the fridge to 35 and left it like that for a week and noticed a little variation in the temp from about 38 to 31, which isn’t that bad I guess. Well, last night when I got home it was showing 39 and within about 30 or so minutes it went up to 41 which seems really high for this thing.

I decided to put it on fast freeze mode to see what would happen and it just kept slowly increasing in temperature. I figured maybe I had left it on for too long so I decided to unplug it for an hour or so and when I plugged it back in the temp was around the 60 degree range. I then put it on fast freeze and it finally started coming down, but it took several hours to get it down to only 41 degrees. Looked more like 1 degree drop per ten minutes as opposed to the 1 degree drop per 1 minute that I initially saw.

I hadn’t had the thing plugged into my truck yet, so I figured I would plug it in to the truck overnight and see what happens. With the fridge on regular mode, not fast freeze, when I checked it in the morning it was at 39 and my setting is 35. I decided to leave it powered on while I was at work, and when I went to see what it was doing at lunch, the thermostat read 54 degrees! I’ve left it unplugged since then and figure I will turn it on again tonight or tomorrow and see what it does.

So my question now is, have any of you guys had an issue like this or do you all remove power after a day or two? Anyone left theirs on for weeks at a time and notice anything strange like this? I’m curious if I need to just let the compressor cool and it will be ok, or if it is fried and I need to get a new one.

nakman
08-25-2010, 04:30 PM
So my question now is, have any of you guys had an issue like this or do you all remove power after a day or two? Anyone left theirs on for weeks at a time and notice anything strange like this? I’m curious if I need to just let the compressor cool and it will be ok, or if it is fried and I need to get a new one.

Yes I have.. and I am ready to rescind all of my former recommendations towards this fridge.. I too have seen wide temperatures, particularly when hooked to the truck, much like you describe. Also much more current draw than the Engel.. more than I expected.

Also the 12v cigarette lighter plug is very cheap- mine would get very hot meaning I was getting a ton of voltage loss, it was all the flaky connection with that little fuse inside and the tip that connects to the positive terminal at the center of the outlet. It ended up melting and rendering that plug useless. So I replaced it with a trailer harness, which works much better. The voltage sensor inside the fridge doesn't appear to work, as mine will run my truck battery into the ground.. takes about 5 hours in hot weather to go from 12.7 volts to needing a jump start.. :rant:

The last day my fridge worked was the rally. I had it loaded up with drinks for my ham radio demonstration, it was cold but never made it below 42 or so.. granted I put them in warm in the morning. When I got home I was too tired to unload it, so I just hooked it up to the extension cord and let it run on 120vac. Later that night the readout just said "HH." Later, the readout said "oc" and while the fan was whirring away it was obvious it is no longer cooling. So I grabbed a warm beer and unplugged the damn thing.

The manual is useless, they don't list these codes or any way to diagnose or correct them. A call to Compact Appliance the next week revealed the HH means the unit shut itself down because ambient temperature reached 100F. wtf, so apparently these aren't meant to run inside a car? great.. The oc code means HH was activated, and something inside needs to be reset, and no I can't do it a tech has to there may be a sensor unit that needs to get swapped out. I need to call Gotham Sales to initiate my warranty coverage.

Gotham sales gives me a membership number, and in a week (once I'm in the "system" :rolleyes:) I can call Repair Master to schedule the repair. So then I call Repair Master who will have a local service tech call me in 2-3 days. A week later I hear nothing, call back, find out Repair Master can't service these, I need to take it up with Edge Star. They don't seem to have a procedure for alerting you when they can't help you, hey they're just a call center. So I call Edge Star, impossible to speak to a human, but I can either leave a message or send an email either way they'll get back to me in 2-3 days... so that's where I am today, waiting for Edge Star to return my email, and going on 3 weeks.

satchel
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I think I'm just going to try and get my money back for this thing then and get something else. The problems is I'm sure compactappliance.com won't give me my money back as they're just a middle man and I bet edgestar is only going to tell me they will repair it. If it's doing this stuff already then I don't want it repaired just to break again, I want my money back. The strange thing is that I read this thread the other week and didn't notice any negative feedback on this fridge at all.

nakman
08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I think I'm just going to try and get my money back for this thing then and get something else. The problems is I'm sure compactappliance.com won't give me my money back as they're just a middle man and I bet edgestar is only going to tell me they will repair it. If it's doing this stuff already then I don't want it repaired just to break again, I want my money back. The strange thing is that I read this thread the other week and didn't notice any negative feedback on this fridge at all.

That's a good move, I don't blame you one bit for just returning the thing if they'll take it back- put that money towards an ARB or Engel.. or National Luna :cool:. And I regret not posting my drama up earlier, I was waiting until I had a resolution and maybe it will still turn out ok.. and to that end remain optimistic.

edit: Edge Star just called me (2 hour response time!) and they can't help me. They only warranty parts, not labor, I need to get back with the warranty company and demand someone look at this, then once it's diagnosed they'll gladly send out the parts for them to install. It's either the control unit or the temp sensor, but they can't just send them without a tech first diagnosing it. So tomorrow I call the warranty company back.. :rant:

corsair23
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Bummer Tim :(

I haven't had any problems with my fridge other than it is power hungry...Not the fridge for people plan to be out in the wilderness for days without running the truck.

Until recently we had the fridge plugged in 24x7 for over a year and aside from the temp varying +/- 4F or so it has been fine. That sucks about the ambient temp 100F = no worky

sleeoffroad
08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
FWIW, I know this is unrelated but just some evidence on Engel fridges. We have a Engel 35 qt at the company. I bought it used from ARB and it was a demo unit from before ARB started selling the Engel rebadged units. So I have no idea how old it was when we got it, but we have owned it for about 8 years. I then ran it for years on back the ShortBus (exposed to the elements) and currently Joe has it on the back of his buggy. It has been rolled a couple of times, rained on, abused, and mistreated, Latest was being squised at the BHCC under a rock.

After all this, it still runs like a top. Sometimes, it just makes sense to get the better product.

Uncle Ben
08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
FWIW, I know this is unrelated but just some evidence on Engel fridges. We have a Engel 35 qt at the company. I bought it used from ARB and it was a demo unit from before ARB started selling the Engel rebadged units. So I have no idea how old it was when we got it, but we have owned it for about 8 years. I then ran it for years on back the ShortBus (exposed to the elements) and currently Joe has it on the back of his buggy. It has been rolled a couple of times, rained on, abused, and mistreated, Latest was being squised at the BHCC under a rock.

After all this, it still runs like a top. Sometimes, it just makes sense to get the better product.

My old second hand Engel thats in my 80 has been on now for close to 4 years! The seal on the door is shrinking and should be replaced but other than that it has worked flawless! I plan on moving it to the 40 soon and put the next size up one in the 80. Sorry Tim, that is really a bummer!

Corbet
08-25-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm bummed to hear this as well as I was thinking of getting one as a 2nd fridge. But like Christo and Kevin. My Engel has been a champ. Its been running 4.5 years straight since the day I got it. I guess I'll ave to save my pennies for a MT60 down the road.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Sorry to hear there are issues..

For what it's worth mine is running great and works in the heat just fine.

I have the smaller 42 qt, I wonder if the smaller ones are more reliable? Less space to cool. I also bought the extended warranty.

nakman
08-25-2010, 10:09 PM
My Engel in the 80 is also a champ.. clearly a better product. Was hard to justify dropping all that dough though on a second fridge, I was hoping I could get away with the cheaper one on the second truck.. but hey you get what you pay for. tune in tomorrow for the next chapter..

satchel
08-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to go ahead and buy an ARB or Engel tomorrow as my wife is wanting something for the Ouray trip. In the meantime, I'm going to try and get my money back, but if I can't, I'll send it in for repair (free 90 day repairs) and then post it up for sale for $100 off and see if anyone wants it.

So, being that I want a large fridge, would you guys go for Engel or ARB? The ARB 50qt looks like it is as close to the 64 that I have without being in the over $1000 range.

Hulk
08-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I bought the ARB. I know the Engel is legendary for reliability, but the features of the ARB are so darn nice. :) It was nice to be able to compare them both at Slee Off-Road.

satchel
08-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Does anyone think the ARB is inferior to the Engel? I've heard great things about both, but had heard nothing but great things about the edgestar too when I bought it. I'm going to spend the extra cash and get a better fridge, but would any of you say one is better than the other. Mostly I'm looking at reliability issues, but all comments are welcome. I'm leaning towards the ARB because it is 50 qts vs Engel's 43 qts for the same price.

satchel
08-26-2010, 12:18 AM
And just to go on the record about edgestar customer service, several people mentioned that it was great for them, but I've had the same experience as Nakman where it is pretty much impossible to get a human on the phone without waiting a couple of days for them to call you back.

wesintl
08-26-2010, 07:36 AM
I can only comment on my norcold since that's what I have. I know you can still pickup scratch and dent models for 450-500. I've had mine for something like 5 years and it's a champ (knock on wood)

Corbet
08-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Does anyone think the ARB is inferior to the Engel?

I know of one person with that feels that way but I can't mention a name. He has a lot of experience with both.

My neighbor has the ARB and comparing it to my Engel it sure as some nicer features. IMO the Engel is just plain simplicity nothing more. I just wish we got the digital temp readout like AU here in the USA.

nakman
08-26-2010, 08:29 AM
:) It was nice to be able to compare them both at Slee Off-Road.

x2 Satchel you should go check them both out at Slee's shop in Golden, the latching of the lid is significantly different on the two, also the Engel's allow you to do a mod to make it open sideways, I don't think the ARB could do that but I'm not sure... and don't know if that's important to you. I hear the amp draw is a little lower with ARB but I don't know the numbers.. I bet Christo does.

Corbet
08-26-2010, 10:59 AM
you can get that add a lid thing for the Engel to increase its size when needed. But that has its drawbacks too. (height/price).

Hulk
08-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I hear the amp draw is a little lower with ARB but I don't know the numbers.. I bet Christo does.

Hmmm. I thought the opposite was true. The ARB will get colder, faster, but the Engel is a low draw champion.

There's no way to move the lid to a side-open configuration, but on the plus side, the ARB lid is easily removable when you need to pull it off (and easy to put back on, too).

The latest issue of Overland Journal had a review of most of the currently available fridge/freezers.

satchel
08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Update to the status of my return: I called Edgestar and they again transfer me to voicemail. I wrote them back again saying that they need to have someone around that can answer a call or answer emails instead of always saying they’ll call me back when it’s convenient for them and at a time when I’m at work and probably won’t be able to talk anyway. I told them in email that they needed to give me a refund and they directed me to compactappliance.com.

Wrote compactappliance.com and they said I could not be helped via email either (why list email on your customer service page then) and requested that I call them. I called at lunch and finally got someone on the phone. In talking to the rep on the phone, I mentioned the statement by EdgeStar that the coolers don’t work well above 100 degrees as stated by Nakman, and that my intention was to have this sitting in my truck most the time which would consistently be over 100 degrees and that they should add something about this in their description on the website or at least call EdgeStar to verify this. His statement, “Why would you assume that this product would work in your car? Would you also assume it would work in space?”. My response, “You sell the Engel fridges as well which come with tie downs and slides specifically made for a car, yet they do not specifically claim that they work well in a car. Don’t you think it is realistic that a person might look at both these fridges, especially seeing the accessories that are made for cars, and assume both would have no problems being mounted in a car?”. He basically said that they cannot write descriptions on their website about every possible assumption people might make. I see his point, but I don’t think it’s a far fetched assumption that this would work in a car, and I think the edgestar in most cases does work fine in a car over 100 degrees, but if in fact it doesn’t like their reps state, I feel there should be some sort of description added.

Anyway, they said they would refund, so I guess I’m going to try out the ARB next. Sorry for the rant, but that guy is frustrating.

nakman
08-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I was on hold for another hour today with Repair Master... nice light jazz, I was able to complete 4 expense reports and quote 2 projects while on hold... but they aren't able to help me, can't refer me to a repair service center. Best they could do is suggest I look in the phone book, find someone, then I get reimbursed for the service.. and they work with Edgestar on parts. I'm ready to return this thing- I tried calling Edge Star again but only had 5 minutes then had to go to a meeting...

nakman
08-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Hmmm. I thought the opposite was true. The ARB will get colder, faster, but the Engel is a low draw champion.

Wait I thought it was you who told me that... maybe you said ARB's amp draw is lower than it used to be?

FWIW, I really like the sideways lid mod- enables you to flip it open in the back of the wagon, and it stays open without you holding it. When it opens "longways" it will smack the roof, and only leaves you a crack to get stuff through with your one free hand..

sleeoffroad
08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
His statement, Why would you assume that this product would work in your car? Would you also assume it would work in space?.

Hugh? They list it under Travel Coolers on their site? How the hell are you going to travel with 12v other than by car? A horse with a battery strapped to the back?

and I quote from their site "this portable refrigerator freezer is great for boaters, campers, hunters, medical transportation/storage, recreational vehicles, cabins and all your outdoor applications. "

nakman
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I got a hold of Edge Star, no returns after 60 days... :mad: so now I'm on the hunt for a refrigerator repair man who can work on these, so I can submit his quote to Repair Master for approval... any recommendations?

satchel
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I thought about the 12v plug right after I hung up. Makes me want to call him back and argue where else I would plug in a cigarette lighter cord. Doesn't really matter now as I get a refund, but I'm still paying to ship a heavy item back out to them which sucks.

satchel
08-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Nakman, how long ago did you buy it? If it is fairly new, like within the last year or so, then I would submit a claim to the better business bureau stating that you were told it would not work well over 100 degrees but that it was never mentioned to you when you were buying it. I hate having to do that to a company, but if they are going to tell you that now, then they should have put that on the specs when you were buying it.

rover67
08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Wow, this is a bummer to hear.....

Mine started doing some funky stuff when i knocked the plug off of the back of it with a log that I threw in the truck a few weeks ago. I just figured it was that plug.

Either way mine stayed cool in moab when the interior temp of the truck was probably retarded hot... or maybe ti was just me that was retarded..

Jeeze, I hope it doesn't start to do what Trey's and Tim's is doing...

I bet that circuit board is pretty simple.. maybe there is a way to diagnose and fix what yours is doing tim?

Trey, glad you can return it...

corsair23
08-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd send Edgestar corporate a link to this thread...I got a fast response from them when I asked about developing a second basket that would fit into the big basket.

I think it is safe to say that at this point they are unlikely to sell another fridge/freezer to any RS member and "reviews" like this have a way of getting out to other forums (like MUD). Both Edgestar and Compactappliance.com have pretty much shot themselves in their own feet IMO with all of this...

You sell a portable fridge/freezer but NO WHERE is it mentioned that it won't work in 100F+ ambient temps? I'm almost 100% positive that is NOT on the websites anywhere nor in the weak manual that comes with the fridge/freezer. Compactappliance.com sells you an aftermarket extended warranty that based on Nakman's experiences so far is pretty much worthless?

Yeah, I'm not happy because even though my fridge seems to be ok for now, it appears I wasted money on a warranty that I bought specifically for the reasons of getting this POS fixed should something go wrong.

corsair23
08-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Hugh? They list it under Travel Coolers on their site? How the hell are you going to travel with 12v other than by car? A horse with a battery strapped to the back?

and I quote from their site "this portable refrigerator freezer is great for boaters, campers, hunters, medical transportation/storage, recreational vehicles, cabins and all your outdoor applications. "

Let's hope no critical implant parts are being transported in one of these :rolleyes:

Satchel....You need to call that IDIOT rep back and point him to this page: link (http://www.compactappliance.com/FP630-Spacious-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP630,default,pd.html?cgid=Outdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers-Portable%20Freezers)

Tell him to scroll down to the reviews and then watch HIS OWN COMPANY'S REVIEW (which is OMG bad) that clearly shows the fridge being "tested" INSIDE OF A VEHICLE :rolleyes:

Then point him to the Edgestar manual posted on the same page: link (http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aabh_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-Appliance-Site/Sites-CompactAppliance_Primary/default/v1282839325734/pdf/ownersmanuals/edgestar/EdgeStar_FP860.pdf)

Tell him to go to page 5 where he'll find this little ditty:

Proper Location

�� Position your portable freezer in a location where there is proper air circulation and electrical connections.

�� Keep the portable freezer away from heat and directsunlight if possible

�� This portable freezer is suitable for car use and camping however, the appliance should not be exposed to rain.

�� This portable freezer should not be placed in a built-in or recessed area. It is designed to be freestanding.

�� The normal operation of the freezer depends on heat radiation from the condenser. For the initial use, remove all packaging and allow at least 6” of room around the freezer.

Oh, and the ONLY mention in the manual regarding temperature that I can see is:

Note: Do not use the refrigerator-freezer as refrigerator when the ambient temperature is lower than 41F

yeah...I'm :rant:

wesintl
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM
yeah...I'm :rant:

Why, you took a gamble on a product that wasn't known or was known to be less superior than the competition

satchel
08-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't feel like I took a gamble. I looked at all resources available and I had not seen any bad responses to this product. This thread alone did not have any negative feedback until my experience. It was cheaper, yes. But after looking at everyone's responses across the internet, I didn't feel that there was a lack of quality. Maybe I just haven't seen those threads that point out how much less superior the EdgeStar is to the others, but I feel like I did quite a bit of research.

nakman
08-26-2010, 04:47 PM
...You sell a portable fridge/freezer but NO WHERE is it mentioned that it won't work in 100F+ ambient temps? I'm almost 100% positive that is NOT on the websites anywhere nor in the weak manual that comes with the fridge/freezer. Compactappliance.com sells you an aftermarket extended warranty that based on Nakman's experiences so far is pretty much worthless?

Had I seen that 100 thing I probably wouldn't have bought it.. but hey I'm in sales too, so I can understand the other side. I never thought this was going to be as good as an Engel or ARB.

The warranty isn't useless, I should be fully reimbursed once I line up a repair man... it's just not as easy as, say, Best Buy, where it's one phone call and they come to your house with a new one. The irony is I remember the Compact Appliance guy telling me to keep the box in case I needed to return it some day.. maybe he should have said keep it for 60 days. :mad:

nakman
08-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't feel like I took a gamble. I looked at all resources available and I had not seen any bad responses to this product. This thread alone did not have any negative feedback until my experience. It was cheaper, yes. But after looking at everyone's responses across the internet, I didn't feel that there was a lack of quality. Maybe I just haven't seen those threads that point out how much less superior the EdgeStar is to the others, but I feel like I did quite a bit of research.

I did the same thing, I bought one based on the info available at the time.. but hey that's why we keep posting up, the whole community can live and learn a little, and I'm glad you posted up when you did. I'm also glad you were able to return yours, I'm sure you'll be psyched with the Engel or ARB, whichever you decide.

sleeoffroad
08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
so now I'm on the hunt for a refrigerator repair man who can work on these, so I can submit his quote to Repair Master for approval... any recommendations?

I think his name is Nowoki Yu Kuler and he lives here
http://www.funpeak.com/funnypics/twisted-chinese-house.jpg

corsair23
08-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Why, you took a gamble on a product that wasn't known or was known to be less superior than the competition

I don't think I took a gamble at all...I let Chris Davis and Marco do that :hill:

Seriously though...Until now the most negative thing that I have seen posted about these fridges is that they are more power hungry and not as "stable" with maintaing a specific temp as an Engel or others are. I could live with that based on my limited usage.

But had I read that Compactappliance.com doesn't suggest you use these in vehicles OR that they aren't designed to be used in temps above 100F OR that getting warranty service was going to be a pretty good challenge then I wouldn't have bought one. I would have stuck with the old ice in a cooler route like I had done for 20+ years. I didn't need something that would run for 8+ years non-stop or survive being in a roll over, getting rained on, whatever...I just needed something that would run for 1-2 months per year on camping trips and keep my $&^% cold :)

What do you think the chances are that an honest review that gives one of these fridges a 1 or 2 star rating would stay on the Compactappliance.com website? Nothing but glowing reviews there.

satchel
08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
That's what's interesting. I posted a 2 star review on there last night and it still hasn't shown up. I gave it 2 stars because I honestly feel that the unit is probably a good unit and I just got a bad apple and I saw how well it was working the first week.

corsair23
08-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I got a hold of Edge Star, no returns after 60 days... :mad: so now I'm on the hunt for a refrigerator repair man who can work on these, so I can submit his quote to Repair Master for approval... any recommendations?

Tim,

I don't know if they work on fridges per say but DTR (http://www.dtrservice.com/cms/index.php/home) fixed our flaky warranty replacement LG tv over a year ago and it is still going strong (although they did have to work on it twice). If it is an electronics issue then they might be able to help or maybe recommend a company that know that does good work.

wesintl
08-26-2010, 05:36 PM
yeah but you have to be pretty cautious and know it's somewhat of a gamble when not many people in the community have one long enough to give a long term opinion. Not to mention it's $300-700+ less than the going rate for the Tried and true engels, arb's norcolds, National luna, waeco. I'm not trying to bust anyones balls but I guess i was kinda surprised. I'd would have just chalked it up to it was a gamble spending less would get me less of a product.

nuclearlemon
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
it is a gamble when buying a new product and it's disappointing when it doesn't work out. some gambles do...i bought two aussie lockers when they first came out, one for $99 and a few months later, one for $149. one of the best gambles out there. you live and learn....that's how life works, no biggie. the community is better off for your gamble. ;)

couple more arguements for your next phone call with them.... so, it's a portable fridge, where else would you use it besides some sort of motor vehicle? it comes with a 12v plug, what uses 12v in the us besides some sort of motor vehicle. if by some freakish chance, you bought it for a back up in case you had a power failure at home, what would you do if the power failed on a 103 degree day?

fwiw, i love my waeco. it's not plugged in constantly, only when i need it, but it has worked great, and in turbo mode, cools quickly.

Uncle Ben
08-27-2010, 08:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARB-4x4-Accesories-Fridge-Freezer-47-liters-10800472-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0956acbfQQitemZ180545301695#ht_717wt_1165

rover67
08-27-2010, 10:01 AM
I got mine a while back thinking that if it did bite the dust early it was still worth it. Call it a gamble i dunno. At the time it was all I could justify spending on a fridge. So far still OK with it, but reading the issues worries me. I like the fridge alright still as it seems to work for what I need it to do. It does suck that others are having issues with theirs and makes me feel bad for promoting them at all..

Caribou Sandstorm
08-27-2010, 11:36 AM
If you are heading over to Christo's, he probably has a pretty educated opinion on what he likes and why, as well.

Also if he has any left, the recent issue of the Overland Journal has an updated fridge review. Graham included a brand called "Whynter." It is the same unit as the Edgestar.

I also see the National Luna Ad in this issue of the Overland Journal and it states "The National Luna 40 liter Fridge/Freezer is guaranteed to maintain 0 degrees Fahrenheit interior, up to an outside temp of 115 degrees Fahrenheit."

So maybe there is something to my idea that the smaller units have an easier time maintaining desired temps....

Also the Edgestar and Whynter do have the preferred Danfoss compressor..

corsair23
08-27-2010, 12:10 PM
So maybe there is something to my idea that the smaller units have an easier time maintaining desired temps....

I bet it does along with the construction of the fridge and its insulating properties...Just like putting a fridge bag around your fridge will help....

I'm thinking in the future I might look into a way to freeze some water in a flat rectangular shape to put at the bottom of the fridge to aid in the cooling needs during warm trips. I also really need to get my dual battery setup done :rolleyes:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
yep me to, on the dual battery.

Hmm, maybe we should develop a bag or see if one Christo might have will work.

nakman
08-27-2010, 12:41 PM
If you guys are going to freeze water and put them in a big container, why not just get a cooler? Would be a whole lot cheaper, lighter, far less power draw on your battery... heck I've got a freezer full of those little blue things, even have some gel ones with Winnie the Pooh and Lightning McQueen on it.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I'll take the lightin McQueen one....

corsair23
08-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Hard to argue with your logic Tim and I've been thinking the same thing :)

If my Edgestar dies, I'll probably do just that.

Hulk
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Also the Edgestar and Whynter do have the preferred Danfoss compressor..

They all use the Danfoss except the Engel. My new ARB fridge has the Danfoss. Even the National Luna has it.

DaveInDenver
08-27-2010, 01:12 PM
As far as a gamble, I don't think it's any more or less a gamble than anything else mechanical. It's all about the quality of manufacturing and everything can fail. To me the gamble part is the company itself. A warranty is only as good as the company backing it. Engel, ARB, National Luna, etc. have proven track records and an established dealer network, which is goes into the higher cost as those people and parts are not free to keep around. But if you never need support or spare parts, then it's unnecessary expense. OTOH, if my Engel takes a dive I just have to call Christo and ask what I need to do.

To the ice block issue, that is not so far fetched. Fridge manufactures recommend that you keep the fridge full because cooling objects is more efficient than cooling air and once cool all that thermal mass keeps the temp stable inside, which leads to less energy drawn. We keep a carton of Coke or water bottles to put into the fridge as we take stuff out on the road. So when you are driving and producing lots of energy the fridge can be cooling something. This reduces the cycling while parked quite a bit. Plus you have a constant supply of cold water to drink.

Personally we have an Engel MT45 that has not been shut off in 3 years now and it's full of either beer or water in the basement. Move it upstairs, take out enough water (funny that the beer never leaves) to pack what we need and then into the truck. I've also run our Engel empty (I don't ALWAYS have 100% beer saturation) and the temp stays pretty stable, but I have a transit bag on it and that helps a ton.

satchel
08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
My wife is picking up the ARB this afternoon from Slee. I don't want another gamble, so if you guys think it is still a gamble for me to buy the ARB over the Engel then let me know that it is an inferior product and I will have her get the Engel, but I feel the consensus is that they are comparable.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm sure the back of my truck gets upwards of 150 degrees sometimes and I want the cooler to be able to keep freezing temps plugged in all the time. If this isn't realistic with the ARB either then please let me know before I end up buying another one that I can't use. If something breaks then I'm not that concerned as there is a warranty on it, but I want to make sure that it can handle those temps and constant running when nothing is broken.

wesintl
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm sure it's fine. The new arb are made under license from waeco and use the danfoss (as noted before) compressor. The old arb was the engel with sawafuji

corsair23
08-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Edit: Just to be clear, I'm sure the back of my truck gets upwards of 150 degrees sometimes and I want the cooler to be able to keep freezing temps plugged in all the time. If this isn't realistic with the ARB either then please let me know before I end up buying another one that I can't use. If something breaks then I'm not that concerned as there is a warranty on it, but I want to make sure that it can handle those temps and constant running when nothing is broken.

Probably best to ask Christo :)

This description is from the ebay link UB posted up:

You are purchasing an unopened in original packaging, ARB Fridge Freezer Model # 10800472 47 Litres (50 quarts).
ARB fridge freezers are the ideal way to keep your food and beverages chilled or frozen on your 4x4 adventures, regardless of ambient conditions. Not to be confused with less effective 12 volt ‘coolers’, the ARB unit is a true refrigerator/freezer. Own one and you’ll never again find your lunch water- logged by shifting ice, and there’ll always be a cold drink on hand during the sweltering summer months. Two separate power cords are included, one for AC operation (120 volt) at home, and one for DC operation (12/24 volt) in your vehicle. The all-new 50 qt model is able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90 F heat, while only drawing 0.87 amps per hour from a 12 volt power source… that’s less than a single headlamp draws!

Not sure if you can expect the ARB to maintain sub freezing temps at 150F+ but if the stuff is already frozen then I'm thinking it won't thaw out quickly even if the ARB can only maintain 30-40F temps or whatever it can maintain. Don't most of these have a max temp from ambient that they can cool? Like 60F cooler than ambient or whatever? Just have to find the specs if the company lists them...We've already determined that Edgestar doesn't :hill:

satchel
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I talked with Christo for a while yesterday. What I took from the conversation was that he has never heard of an Engel breaking, there have been some very rare circumstances where the ARB did not work right out of the box. The Engel is 1 year warranty for the big one and 2 year warranty for the small one and the ARB is 3 year warranty. My personal feeling is that they are pretty comparable and I should be happy with either and I would think that either would keep anything at sub freezing temps while in the back of the truck, but I could be wrong. I decided to go with the ARB because of aesthetics and size for price.

Christo, feel free to step in if I missed something here.

"The all-new 50 qt model is able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90 F heat" That is interesting... Anyone that has the new ARB able to tell me about extremes where the truck was like 150 degrees and you still had frozen ice cream in this thing? Just to put my mind at ease that it can handle these temps if all is in working order.

corsair23
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Is a transit bag available for the ARB? Those really do seem to make a difference from what I've read and based on Dave's response. You wouldn't think wrapping something in a bag/jacket/whatever would insulate but IIRC Mythbusters did and episode where they proved a snowman melts slower with a down coat on it than it does without. I know at least one guy did a test on an 80 and found lower IA (intake air) temps when the air filter can was wrapped in a coat.

EDIT: A clothed snowman melts slower than a naked one.

confirmed

In the 80 F (25 C) San Francisco summer heat, the naked snowman melted considerably faster than the clothed snowman. The clothes on the snowman protected it from the heat and acted as insulation to help keep the temperature of the snow from rising.

nakman
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
No experience with the fridges, yet, but my only experience with ARB is they stand behind their products... same goes for Christo, for that matter.

Can't say the same for Compact Appliance and Edge Star unfortunately, and I'm about to have a really heavy and expensive cooler, or a really expensive fridge for my office.. pending the outcome of this repair. I'm closer to finding someone local to repair these though, will post that up once I have made more progress.

CO Hunter
09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Any updates? I just ordered the 43 qt one Friday before reading these latest posts. I was going off the positive views here and on Expo several months ago. On Expo the issue mainly seemed to be power requirements and replacing the plug and making sure there is adequate wire size to power it. Hmmm....:confused:

nakman
09-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I couldn't find anyone local to repair it, and kind of ran out of time/interest.. I ended up plugging it back in a couple weekends ago and it's working again, so maybe a few weeks in time out was what it needed to behave again. I brought it to work where it's been plugged in for 2 weeks and running well, it's going to be the fridge for a "new mother" room that I had to equip...

After that, I'll probably drag it down to my office, may try to take it out in the 100 once I get dual batts set up, we'll see... FWIW I think the smaller one performs a little better so hopefully you have good luck with yours. :cheers:

satchel
09-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I plugged my edgestar back in before shipping it off and it had been sitting powered off for about 2 weeks before that. Left it running all night set at 25 and it never got below 50. I shipped it back for about $180, but compactappliance.com gave me back my money (not the $180 shipping charge though). As for my new fridge, my wife picked up the Engel and it's been running in the back of my truck since labor day and I love it. Seems so much more sturdy and well built and there have been no temp issues.

Woodsman
12-03-2011, 03:44 PM
The 43 quart Edgestar is currently on sale for $399 shipped.

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430,default,pd.html

nakman
12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow that's cheap. I notice the "good" brands keep getting more expensive, too. And FWIW, my Edge Star has been a champ in my office here.. I realize it's been running for 15 months now on AC power. I have cold spicy hot V8's and waters in there usually.

Caribou Sandstorm
12-13-2011, 08:00 AM
My Edgestar is still running strong, fwiw.