Hulk
08-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I didn't do it.

art hog
08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
OOPS,My bad

wesintl
08-10-2008, 09:27 PM
hum. interesting. It's been so long since I've been in arches proper I don't know if i've seen that one.

subzali
08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
If you've walked to the back of the Devil's Garden trail, you've walked right past it. The main trail is almost directly below it. Kinda neat to see geology in action, especially since nobody got hurt.

Red_Chili
08-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I keep thinking about this every time I see a motorcyclist ride across Musselman Arch.

It's gonna come down sometime. Maybe today... with you on it.

DaveInDenver
08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I keep thinking about this every time I see a motorcyclist ride across Musselman Arch.

It's gonna come down sometime. Maybe today... with you on it.
Musselman? That's the arch along White Rim. Musselman is very much illegal to ride or drive across, but you can still walk across it. You haven't been able to drive across that for at least 4 years that I know (we first went to White Rim in 2003, it was off limits to driving then).

Are you maybe thinking of Little Arch on the Portal Trail? People ride across that when doing Poison Spider. That one freaked me out, but I still did it....with my feet unclipped. As if in a fall I would be able to jump off, land on my feet and just watch my bike fall to its death. Yikes!

wesintl
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
that's not musselman. Musselman is right by whit rim.. kinda thin and short. The one above on poison spider is little arch?

Red_Chili
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Musselman? That's the arch along White Rim. Musselman is very much illegal to ride or drive across, but you can still walk across it. ... Are you maybe thinking of Little Arch on the Portal Trail?
No, I was thinking about Musselman. A group I was riding with had several guys ride across it. This did not include your friendly Land Use Coordinator.

DaveInDenver
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
No, I was thinking about Musselman. A group I was riding with had several guys ride across it. This did not include your friendly Land Use Coordinator.
Alright then. I've heard of people still riding their MTBs across it, so it doesn't surprise me that motos might pirate across it, too. You'd have to really go out of your way to try and drive a 4 wheeled vehicle across it, a bit of rock crawling, leave really obvious tracks. Guess I don't immediately think about breaking the rules... The sign is clear: no bikes, motors, ATVs. Just foot traffic. The freeze-thaw is doing plenty fine at erosion, no need to speed it up with vibration.

Ron Helmuth
08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Not sure if it was the arch falling or the Isaac Hayes death that makes me feel just a bit older.....

"way back in the day that arch was still an arch" to the Shaft tune

MDH33
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Bummer. :( That was one of the best and biggest arches in the park. Glad I was able to see it before it's time was up.

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/18980565_K89FY-L-1.jpg