PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack questions

FJBen
08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Looking at picking up a roof rack for the 80.

It's a used Con-ferr Porthole style...4x6' is the measurement.

Is that size going to work well with the 80? Thoughts on this being a decent cheap rack?

I was thinking about using the "groucho" feet for this if it's going to workout.

Rock Dog
08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Groucho's gutter mounts are awsome... Really beefy.

I was going to get them, but went with the aluminum African outback Rack that Christo sells. It is not cheap, but works out great

Groucho
08-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Looking at picking up a roof rack for the 80.

It's a used Con-ferr Porthole style...4x6' is the measurement.
Decent rack, even better if you get a good deal.

Is that size going to work well with the 80? Thoughts on this being a decent cheap rack?
I believe Convert (Dan) has one. Seems to be perfect. I homebuilt one that is 48"x80", I like it.

I was thinking about using the "groucho" feet for this if it's going to workout.
They are knock offs of the mounts that would have come stock with the rack you want to buy, so they would be perfect.

FJBen
08-11-2008, 11:52 AM
awesome, thanks for the answers. It's a pretty good price on the rack which is the reason I'm thinking about it. We always need more room.

I'll pm you some info so I can get the feet ready for the rack :)

nakman
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Con-Ferr basket + Groucho mounts = good combination. It's not the lightest thing in the world, but definitely gets the job done....

:p: Rubicon tested. :p: :D

FJBen
08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Awesome! and on the rare dark green cruiser :D

very cool. I'm hoping to pick it up this weekend. I definitely won't fit in the garage..but it will be nice for camping, as we are quickly running out of room. :D

FJBen
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Just a test looking last night. I have the groucho clamps...holy beefy!

Inukshuk
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't like the rounded corners and lack of really good tiedown points (the ones on this rack's square bars slide side to side and the holes are not great to use. Attaching to a corner is almost impossible.). I also did not like the mesh floor on Tim's rack. Even well bolted it rattled. Also, the floor typically only attaches to the crossbars putting all the weight there and not distributing it on to the much stronger perimeter. But, given the cost of racks, at the right price its a lower cost alternative. Definitely use at least 6 gutter mounts. I had only 4 attached and tweaked the gutters when I launced into the river on the Outlaws run.

FJBen
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't like the rounded corners and lack of really good tiedown points (the ones on this rack's square bars slide side to side and the holes are not great to use. Attaching to a corner is almost impossible.). I also did not like the mesh floor on Tim's rack. Even well bolted it rattled. Also, the floor typically only attaches to the crossbars putting all the weight there and not distributing it on to the much stronger perimeter. But, given the cost of racks, at the right price its a lower cost alternative. Definitely use at least 6 gutter mounts. I had only 4 attached and tweaked the gutters when I launced into the river on the Outlaws run.

Good advice.

Currently I have 6 groucho clamps :thumb:

It doesn't have a floor on it, so I"m thinking of options for that. I'm thinking aluminum rails running perpindicular to the crossbars. It won't be used a ton as I can't fit in the garage with it on.

I"m sure adding some tie down points will be really easy. Given the cost of this project as opposed to some other racks out there, I'd say this is a steal/no brainer. Of course if I were using it every weekend to expedition all over, I would definitely pony up for the nicer racks.

thanks for the tips...I was thinking of that expanded steel floor...now maybe not :)

Beater
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
racks like that are not meant to be off/on/off/on/off... if your not being able to get it into the garage is an issue, well....

as for the floor, I had real good luck with plywood in my hardcore rack. less deflection than metal, easier to modify, blow holes in, add tie downs, etc etc etc

just a thought. I used 3/8ths ply

FJBen
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
racks like that are not meant to be off/on/off/on/off... if your not being able to get it into the garage is an issue, well....

as for the floor, I had real good luck with plywood in my hardcore rack. less deflection than metal, easier to modify, blow holes in, add tie downs, etc etc etc

just a thought. I used 3/8ths ply

Oh it's not going to be on/off a lot. 90% of the time it will be off. Just when we camp or need extra storage. This was just way to good to pass up.

My dad mentioned plywood as well...maybe shellacked or clear coated...hmmm

Currently I clear my garage by 3" and I'm definitely NOT giving that up. :D Hell, my wife's 80 stays outside and mine spends all day/night :beer::lmao:

Rezarf
08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I'll throw in another plywood vote. I used a sheet of 1/2" marine plywood coated wit some rustoleum outdoor paint and rolled it on.

Held up for over 5 years... no garage, and on the rig every day.

Just a thought.

Uncle Ben
08-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I'll throw in another plywood vote. I used a sheet of 1/2" marine plywood coated wit some rustoleum outdoor paint and rolled it on.

Held up for over 5 years... no garage, and on the rig every day.

Just a thought.

When I had a Confer rack I made the floor out of 1x6 cedar planks spaced about 3/4" apart. I used 1/2" channel aluminum on the edge to keep them from splintering. Worked awesome and looked great! The floor lasted the 8 years I had it and as far as I know it still is going strong.

FJBen
08-15-2008, 05:05 PM
When I had a Confer rack I made the floor out of 1x6 cedar planks spaced about 3/4" apart. I used 1/2" channel aluminum on the edge to keep them from splintering. Worked awesome and looked great! The floor lasted the 8 years I had it and as far as I know it still is going strong.

sweet...pics??? :beer::thumb:

Uncle Ben
08-15-2008, 06:05 PM
sweet...pics??? :beer::thumb:

Not sure....I'll snoop. Kipper, you have any?

FJBen
08-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Not sure....I'll snoop. Kipper, you have any?

Cool, that would be pimpy.

Did you seal the cedar with a clearcoat or not? I know it's naturally resistant, but I wondered if you sealed or not.

Uncle Ben
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Cool, that would be pimpy.

Did you seal the cedar with a clearcoat or not? I know it's naturally resistant, but I wondered if you sealed or not.

I took the belt sander too them with just 100 grt and took the roughness off then whenever they looked too weathered a quick coat of Pennefin was all that was needed.

FJBen
08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I took the belt sander too them with just 100 grt and took the roughness off then whenever they looked too weathered a quick coat of Pennefin was all that was needed.

Awesome, so I assume you used like 1x6" cedar planks?