PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross with Colorado Land Cruisers

subzali
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Alright, so Colorado Land Cruisers (http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/) is hosting a Holy Cross run on Saturday, Sept. 20 and they've invited us to come along! Dual club run! The leaves should be changing, the scenery should be gorgeous, and well, the trail will not leave anything to be desired :D

I don't know many more details, but maybe we can use this thread to get ideas on how/where to camp etc. - Camp Hale is a likely choice because there's plenty of dispersed camping where you can get a big group in, and getting on the trail early is a prerequisite to a successful day!

So post up if you're coming and let's at least get a plan together for the Rising Sun contingent! :thumb:

Date: Saturday, Sept. 20
Meeting Time: 0900 hours
Meeting Location: Holy Cross Trailhead

optional: head up Friday night and camp near trailhead, see later posts for more info!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I am in, Got the Hall Pass locked in.

Hulk
08-13-2008, 12:47 AM
I am missing out on all the fun since Rubithon, with the lone exception of the 40s Only Run. And I'm going to miss out on this one as well -- I will be standing up in the wedding of one of my oldest friends, in Pittsburgh. It should be a great time, but damn... I've always wanted to run Holy Cross.:(

corsair23
08-13-2008, 01:10 AM
If Chris holds an open seat for me I might be in :D - Have to check with the head coordinator of the "Department of Family Event Planning" :D

I might even consider driving the LX up and parking it before the crossing. Is that a possibility space/location wise on the trail?

Uncle Ben
08-13-2008, 07:25 AM
It looks like my request has pre-approval! :bowdown::Princess: :lmao:

AxleIke
08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
In.

Very excited.

Tch2fly
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I might even consider driving the LX up and parking it before the crossing. Is that a possibility space/location wise on the trail?

Two options:
You could run the first "one-way" section (my favorite part) up to the bailout point then leave the LX in that parking area (plenty of space) and ride with someone from there.

You can also drive the LX to a section just prior to French creek. There is plenty of space to park (some guys even camp) without blocking the trail. Although I've seen it get pretty jammed when somebody is hung in the FC or two groups try to pass.

RockRunner
08-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I'll check with my better half, she may want to go too...............I hope.

Uncle Ben
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Soooo....who in the RS contingent is planning on camping Friday night? I have no problem leaving very early and meeting at the trail head but camping out Friday night might be doable too. There is a lot of beautiful camping places up there right near the trail head.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a spot for you jeff but you should drive it. Your rig is more then capable.

I am stopping at Holy Cross not doing Cleveland section, only watching...

Per my discussion with Mike.

Jacket
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Hmmm - very tempting. I need to make this happen.

Uncle Ben
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Here is a fun Youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcoZemO7F2w) I found. Looks like Isaac is in it so he can explain the really weird line the white Taco took on French Creek!

AxleIke
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Thats the line that some buggies were taking. He wanted to see if he could do it, and did. went home with a pretty bent rear drive shaft. 2 weeks later, he did the same line with no issues. He has a good wheelbase for it.

Don't ask me about the camp pics at the end, wasn't there for that.

subzali
08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Something else I forgot to mention

The FJ Cruiser Trail Team is willing to send us a bag of goodies for this event since they will be in Oklahoma at a parade or something... :rolleyes:

So I'm going to try and get an approximation for who is going to be there and then will have them mail us the bag of goodies! I think someone who will actually be there (I don't think I will be) should be receiving the bag of goodies, so if you're interested in doing that and distributing them then let me know your address so I can tell them!

MDH33
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I've been wanting to do this trail for awhile, but it's the weekend prior to The Outlaws Run. Probably won't get the hall pass. Have fun, don't break anything. ;)

Uncle Ben
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Something else I forgot to mention

The FJ Cruiser Trail Team is willing to send us a bag of goodies for this event since they will be in Oklahoma at a parade or something... :rolleyes:

So I'm going to try and get an approximation for who is going to be there and then will have them mail us the bag of goodies! I think someone who will actually be there (I don't think I will be) should be receiving the bag of goodies, so if you're interested in doing that and distributing them then let me know your address so I can tell them!
You should commit matt! HC is a trail most of us old timers learned to wheel on! It used to be one of our only annual runs! You could send the stuff to me I guess.

powderpig
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I will be away for work, bummer for me. You all have fun and think of me. It did look like in the vid that there was no water in front of Clevand Rock. That would make it soooooo much easier. It has been a long time since I have been there, the old gold truck has done the trail a few times, awwwww the memories.

Uncle Ben
08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
i Will Be Away For Work, Bummer For Me. You All Have Fun And Think Of Me. It Did Look Like In The Vid That There Was No Water In Front Of Clevand Rock. That Would Make It Soooooo Much Easier. It Has Been A Long Time Since I Have Been There, The Old Gold Truck Has Done The Trail A Few Times, Awwwww The Memories.

Slacker!

subzali
08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Too many things this summer...and I think the 40 will be in the middle of a little :weld: project around then...

Uncle Ben
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Too many things this summer...and I think the 40 will be in the middle of a little :weld: project around then...

Lame excuses! :rant: ;)

Uncle Ben
08-14-2008, 11:44 AM
soooo....who In The Rs Contingent Is Planning On Camping Friday Night? I Have No Problem Leaving Very Early And Meeting At The Trail Head But Camping Out Friday Night Might Be Doable Too. There Is A Lot Of Beautiful Camping Places Up There Right Near The Trail Head.

Bttt

RockRunner
08-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I would be up for camping if the date works. We would trailer the 4Runner up since the driving up the passes is just no fun. As soon as we can nail down the date I'll post up yeah or nee

Uncle Ben
08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I would be up for camping if the date works. We would trailer the 4Runner up since the driving up the passes is just no fun. As soon as we can nail down the date I'll post up yeah or nee

The proposed date is September 20 (Read first post) with the optional Friday (19) camp-out.

Jacket
08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
If I go, I'll camp. But I need to deal with step 1 first.

Nay
08-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I've built up some hall passes. Maybe...

Uncle Ben
08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
If I go, I'll camp. But I need to deal with step 1 first.

You have a month to whip out some "Honey-Do's" so "step 1" should be reasonably easy! :bowdown::Princess: ;)

isotel
08-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Im planning on camping on Friday, maybe Saturday too! ;) I started a thread on our forum to get the ball rolling (http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/236239-holy-cross-sept-20th.html#post3573414), Ive been wanting to run this trail for 4-5 years!!

Im glad to see those who are interested! should be a killer Trip!

J Kimmel
08-16-2008, 07:47 PM
hmmm....50/50....wouldn't mind one more camping trip. gotta fix my truck :)

Crash
08-17-2008, 05:23 PM
My truck is ready now as I just waxed it today. :lmao: Camping isn't an option - it's a necessity!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Planning on camping Friday, also.

Red_Chili
08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm really gonna try to make this. Fending off competing commitments as we speak!

Uncle Ben
08-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Just curious how many handbrakes and offspring might be going? (wives and {under 20}kids)

AxleIke
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I think I count as a handbrake...Or a hold up. Either way, can't be good. :D

Nay
08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Not sure on the family, I think it will either be just me, or

:camping:

and four under 20's (make that under 10's :eek:)

:drink::drink::drink::drink:

Uncle Ben
08-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Not sure on the family, I think it will either be just me, or

and four under 20's (make that under 10's :eek:)

:drink::drink::drink::drink:

Hows that? :lmao::lmao:;)

Red_Chili
08-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I sure wish the Squeak-O-Meter could come. She would love the scenery, the HC City, all of it.
Still trying like heck to stress to the folks on the other end of the conflict that I really DO have a scheduling conflict. Here's hoping they respect that.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Just me at this point but the wife may want to tag along, won't know until the last minute and that would mean Our little Ben woudl be there too.

If that happens we will set up camp just outside of you all, so you are not subjected to middle of the night baby crying.

Nay
08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Let's propose a camping spot, pictures say a thousand words and I'd like to get :Princess: and crew to go. I'm a lot more interesting in the context of my crew than I am by myself :hill:

Also a lot more likely to actually be there :D

Uncle Ben
08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Let's propose a camping spot, pictures say a thousand words and I'd like to get :Princess: and crew to go. I'm a lot more interesting in the context of my crew than I am by myself :hill:

Also a lot more likely to actually be there :D

I was thinking the meadow about 1/2 mile before the trail head on the west side of road. I see on the CLC site they are thinking the same thing. There is also a great spot just a tad closer to the trail head on the east side of the road a spot down in the trees close to the river. That can be a popular spot so unless someone can get there early and rope it off it will probably be claimed. Right at the trail head there is Gold Camp which also has primitive sites but tends to be annoying during the night from late night trail users and such.

Camping searches....
Gold Park (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/recreation/campgrounds/holycrosscg/goldparkcg/index.shtml)

waggoner5
08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I am in. Wife is a maybe. Depends on the rest.
G

Uncle Ben
08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I am in. Wife is a maybe. Depends on the rest.
G

Kewl! ;)

Caribou Sandstorm
08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I can probably go early and rope off our spots, I have some caution tape.

Rock Dog
08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I just put in to take off a half day friday.. would love to squeak up that trail again...

Red_Chili
08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Things are looking likely for me.

I am extremely familiar with the area. I have hunted elk there for the last several years. There are numerous spots for primitive camping, and the Gold Park campground is nice (but somewhat limited in size). The mountain can swallow a lot of campers though, there will be SOME place available.

There is also a campground right at the exit off the highway onto Homestake Road. Easier to make it to Minturn, (a LOT easier) where one can have a pretty darn decent meal if campfire cooking is more work than you want. Last year it was closed for clearing of beetle kill, so a call to the WRRD would be in order.

There are also primitive campsites all along the road to the end of the two-way section of HC. Including at the end. Rather nice up there, and will be a bit cooler than Gold Park (which translates to, we got really cold and had a foot more snow in the blizzard last year :lmao:).

I will show you where we have taken elk if you like. Last year there was a mountain lion that scoped out our camp during the night and left some large tracks. Mr. Bill will be bringing his .44 Mag, and if hiking is involved will have it open carry in a tactical holster, hope that does not offend. You will very possibly see elk. Only seen deer once up there.

waggoner5
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't want to have anyone make plans for me, but since I am trailering, I like the idea of campsite that I can get my Dodge+ trailer into. No biggie if not, I will figure it out.
G

treerootCO
08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I would love to make this one. I need to machine out the SM465 adapter for regular ole bolts and reassemble. Not sure if I want to tackle the Cross with the virgin '80. There is a nice spot on the way in where you can camp and park trailers.

pics from the last time I ran Holy Cross (Ignore the debug popup...actively trying to fix my junk):

http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=32160

treerootCO
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I'll gladly spot anyone...I spotted Jim's 60 through with only some minor scratches in the paint. :hill:

yep...that was all me

Rock Dog
08-21-2008, 12:43 PM
c'mon root, with them gullwings that Ptarmigan should be able to fly over the tough obsticles :hill: and with them thar spott'in skills, no problem choosing a wagon line :lmao:

AxleIke
08-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Ah, mike, perfect set of pictures.

Someone was asking what was hard about the second set of rocks at french creek before, and this picture illustrates it perfectly.

http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=32248&g2_serialNumber=1

See the really large boulder to the left of the back of the jeep, just a few feet behind it?

That is now down in the route.

So, you must now climb over the rocks that are to the right and behind the jeep. I have been told by others who've done it before that you could go on the left side of the trail before, after getting through the creek, and be just fine. The only route now is to the right.

Red_Chili
08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Kewl!
Wonder how that rock moved? Methinks 'twas not natural forces. Are you saying the rock is in the creek, or just slid right a bit?

treerootCO
08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey Bill.....remember this? :lmao:

Jacket
08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Hmmm - I'm only slightly :rolleyes: concerned that my wheelbase and 33's might be slightly underpowered on this trail - at least on French Creek. I'm not sure I should be running the same trails as Gary and his bitchin 45.

AxleIke
08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Kewl!
Wonder how that rock moved? Methinks 'twas not natural forces. Are you saying the rock is in the creek, or just slid right a bit?

Not in the creek.

Just to the right enough to completely block off the left route.

Only one way through now.

AxleIke
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Hmmm - I'm only slightly :rolleyes: concerned that my wheelbase and 33's might be slightly underpowered on this trail - at least on French Creek. I'm not sure I should be running the same trails as Gary and his bitchin 45.

You'll be fine. If you decide not to go up past french creek, lots of places to park below, and you can walk/ride the last bit as its only a mile or so up to the city from there.

Red_Chili
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Not in the creek.

Just to the right enough to completely block off the left route.

Only one way through now.
Can only go through to the right he says.
hehehehehe...... sounds like a challenge to me!

Yep Root, I remember. In fact that was the day I saw the only deer I have ever seen there.

You didn't get caught in the Chili's vortex, didja? :lmao:

[edit] Truth be told, poseur act off, if anyone can go left, Gary can.

AxleIke
08-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Can only go through to the right he says.
hehehehehe...... sounds like a challenge to me!

Yep Root, I remember. In fact that was the day I saw the only deer I have ever seen there.

You didn't get caught in the Chili's vortex, didja? :lmao:

[edit] Truth be told, poseur act off, if anyone can go left, Gary can.

I thought you didn't like tippy. You have to get VERY tippy to go over the rock.

Uncle Ben
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Things are looking likely for me.

Last year there was a mountain lion that scoped out our camp during the night and left some large tracks. Mr. Bill will be bringing his .44 Mag, and if hiking is involved will have it open carry in a tactical holster, hope that does not offend.

Good! Hate to feel like I have to handle ALL the security! ;)

Oh and just in case the above mentioned tools spike an interest in someone thinking plinking is OK then please think again! Plinking and groups enjoying themselfs are two different events!

Convert
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
....am I close?

From RS,

Kevin E. - 80
Chris D. - FJC
Isaac - Mini runner
Matt R. - Taco
Tom R. - Mini Runner (wife?)
Steve C.- 62 (Susie?)
William M- Mini Runner (squeak-o-meter?)
D.Nay - 80 (elementary pit crew)
Gary CW -45ish (Kelly maybe)
Neil Q. - runnin' squeaky
Mike D. - Rootmobile

from CLC

Trev - 40
Tim - mini
Vic/Brent - mini
Justin - 55!

I may be in just haven't posted yet need to talk to the better half:thumb:

Uncle Ben
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I may be in just haven't posted yet need to talk to the better half:thumb:

I was gonna start giving ya a ration too! You will make this trip senior! :rant: ;) :cool:

Uncle Ben
08-21-2008, 08:32 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=84703&postcount=70 BTTT

Caribou Sandstorm
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
This is going to be awesome!!!

74fj40
08-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Would love to do this run, Luckily I dont have to get a hall pass from the wife :D

But I'll see where I'm at with school and work on the 20th. But its a maybe right now.

Red_Chili
08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I have successfully asserted my way out of the conflict!! I am on.

Not only that, but the Squeak-O-Meter is coming too! :clap:

I may even let her drive some.

She thought camping up there would be cool once I sold her on the beauty of the area.

Dunno if we will tent it, or pull the popup. Leaning toward tenting. We could even sleep in the ever-utilitarian 4Runner. It's kinda tight in there.

;)

isotel
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Yea the Plan for CLC is to camp at the spot about 1/2 mile before the trailhead, Vic is going to be heading up early friday to secure the spot and do some fishing, look for a 4 door F-250 with a camper and a second gen Runner.. Im not sure how big this spot is, but we could always spread out a bit!

Red_Chili
08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Ah, in the open field there on the southeast side of the road on Homestake Creek, primitive camping? That works.

Jacket
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Updated! The bold is confirmed/for-sure attendees....

From RS,

Kevin E. - 80
Chris D. - FJC
Isaac - Mini runner
Matt R. - Taco
Tom R. - Mini Runner (wife?)
Steve C.- 62 (Susie?)
William M- Mini Runner (squeak-o-meter!)
D.Nay - 80 (elementary pit crew)
Gary CW -45ish (Kelly maybe)
Neil Q. - runnin' squeaky
Mike D. - Rootmobile
Dan R. - 80!!

from CLC

Trev - 40
Tim - mini
Vic/Brent - mini runner
Justin - 55!

I might have the whole fandamily with me for this one. That would be one :Princess:, and a couple of minis (we need a smiley for kiddos.....).

Uncle Ben
08-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I might have the whole fandamily with me for this one. That would be one :Princess:, and a couple of minis (we need a smiley for kiddos.....).

Updated list! It helps keep the tread cleaner if you don't quote the list, as the list gets updated the quotes do not. ;) :)

ginericLC
08-24-2008, 09:13 AM
It is a fun trail. I think that may have been my favorite trail I ran last year. The Rubithon was fun, but I think I actually liked the Holy Cross trail better. I dinged my PS front door coming down into French Creek and my friend, Butch, dinged his DS front door going up in the same spot. So we had two good white doors between us. French Creek is a challenging obstacle in a big wagon. There is a pretty wide spot in the trail where we left one of the 80s with 285s. After the city the trail gets really challenging. There are some good secure winch points drilled in the rock that you can use if you are up to the challenge. We camped maybe 2-3 miles off the highway on the right hand side. It was a big enough area for a small group. We had 4 rigs, my pop up, and we had room for another 4-5 easily. I think of this trail a lot when I think of my 100. There is no way I would take my 100 up that trail. Well, maybe to French Creek but that is it. French Creek would destroy it.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi Guys,

I have to bail on doing this one. Have a chance to do the kokopelli Trail midweek following this weekend run and can't do both.

Sorry for bailing out, hope it will be good weather, looks like a great group.

Uncle Ben
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=85217&postcount=82

Uncle Ben
08-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Guys,

I have to bail on doing this one. Have a chance to do the kokopelli Trail midweek following this weekend run and can't do both.

Sorry for bailing out, hope it will be good weather, looks like a great group.

Gonna miss you Chris! Kokopelli sounds like a great time for sure!

subzali
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
what time meeting at trailhead etc.? Gotta update the first post...

Uncle Ben
08-31-2008, 10:39 PM
what Time Meeting At Trailhead Etc.? Gotta Update The First Post...

RLMS
08-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Well, went up yesterday, and the pics posted here of french creek, the lines have completly changed!! it was fun, ill post pics tomorrow!!
BTY we will be there for this trip:cheers:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I'll gladly spot anyone...I spotted Jim's 60 through with only some minor scratches in the paint. :hill:

yep...that was all me

:thumb:
i still have that fender on with a bit more battle scars.

anyone want to come down and help finish my 40?
i would love to take it on this run!!!

brakes and shocks just need buttoning up to get it on the trail.
oops, power steering hoses need hooking up ;)

Convert
09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
UB I am in:thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Dan! Updated. :thumb::thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I may make it for Saturday, no camping Friday ..Will keep you all posted.

Uncle Ben
09-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I may make it for Saturday, no camping Friday ..Will keep you all posted.

Make up your mind man.... :rolleyes: :lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I know...Just like Rubicon..

Camping is out because I have too much to prepare for kokpelli, but no reason I can't get out of bed early and show up for a Saturday run!!!

See you there. I will stop at Lamars for us...

RockRunner
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
We are OUT! :mad: I am so bummed. That is the only date we can get wood from one of our friends is the 20th. We'll be in Granby cutting down the "red" Forrest:eek: for our winter fired wood, 4 cords or more.

I tried to get a different date worked out but no luck. I have missed all kinds of good trips this year, really sucks!:mad::(

If things change I will post up but I doubt it. Have a great time guys, take lots of pics. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-04-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=85350&postcount=101

AxleIke
09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
put me down in bold please

Uncle Ben
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
put me down in bold please

Done! :thumb::thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I want to do the crock pot thing again so I will bring a 6 pound roast w/carrots and potatoes in the Crock pot. We need others to commit to salad and what not. Who in for the getting to be famous RS theme dinner? ;) I love roughing it! :lmao::lmao:

Red_Chili
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
We'll do some dinner! Salad.

RLMS
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Please put us in bold!! Do you need anything else for the dinner, we can help!

:cheers:
Justin

Uncle Ben
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
updated...

AxleIke
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I am still up in the air for the camping. I may be coming up in the morning. If I'm camping, I'll bring something for sure.

Crash
09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
The Posers are in..... I mean Suzie and I are inked in on our calendar. Dean and Natalie in the '80 Hilux are a strong possibility too. Snow covers up ink though for us old folks.
Looking at the BOLD trucks it appears we have a really diverse group going. COOL!

Jacket
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Mrs Jacket is slowly backpedaling from this trip, so it looks like a solo camp/run for me. I can bring something to eat and pass - maybe a starch of some kind?

What time you all planning on leaving town?

Convert
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
UB add overnight for me I will be taking Friday off in some fashion (not sure yet of the details) Don't know if I have a passenger. And I am in for the dinner thing which I will figure out as it gets closer:thumb: Camping Saturday night would be ok also weather permitting

Nay
09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm out, crossed schedules with :Princess:, she has a training conference and I have :party::perry::drool::drink::drink::drink::drink: duty.

Uncle Ben
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
thanks folks! - updated

RLMS
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Update, the pig to camping status, please!:beer:

Uncle Ben
09-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Update, the pig to camping status, please!:beer:

Already was! ;) :thumb:

zornff
09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Where exactly is Holy Cross trail. I've heard about it and would love to run it with y'all.

Uncle Ben
09-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Where exactly is Holy Cross trail. I've heard about it and would love to run it with y'all.

South of Minturn, near Turquoise Lake. Google it man! ;) Love to have ya along! :thumb::thumb:

chtucker
09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
South of Minturn, near Turquoise Lake. Google it man! ;) Love to have ya along! :thumb::thumb:

Then you would be at my house;)

South of Minturn, after Redcliff at Homestake Resevoir. The turn off is in the S curves approximately 2 miles or so south of Redcliff on Highway 24.

Turquoise Lake on the other hand is outside of Leadville and about 1 mile from my house.:thumb:

Ya'all are welcome to visit though:cheers:

Uncle Ben
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Then you would be at my house;)

South of Minturn, after Redcliff at Homestake Resevoir. The turn off is in the S curves approximately 2 miles or so south of Redcliff on Highway 24.

Turquoise Lake on the other hand is outside of Leadville and about 1 mile from my house.:thumb:

Ya'all are welcome to visit though:cheers:

My bad.....guess I should have Googled it! :eek:;)

Uncle Ben
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=86162&postcount=105

Rock Dog
09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I gave a plug for the run at the Club meeting, and i am a 90% at this point. I have the friday before scheduled off, so if they actually let me go, i will be going up early to kick back and try to save some camp spots. Need to see just how squeaky the runner gets when REALLY flexed :D:D

An let me know what side dishes, or desserts should be brought....

baileyfj40
09-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm hoping I can get there. Come up Friday. Like Front seat? Talked to Neil at the meeting about riding, not being rude to Neil like back up if he doesn't go.

Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked
89 fj62 lifted locked
99 F350 the accomidations
90 fastiva dd

Caribou Sandstorm
09-06-2008, 09:57 PM
My nickname in College and after college has always been CD.

CD followed me to a few jobs after college, as well.

Kind of funny to see it pop up again.

Put me in bold, Hall Pass is secured!

Uncle Ben
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Updated! The bold is confirmed/for-sure attendees....

From RS,

CD - FJC maybe Sat no camp :rolleyes: ;)
Kevin E. - 80 overnight/potroast
Isaac - Mini runner overnight/food
Matt R. - Taco (:Princess:http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Misc/poking.gif ) overnight/food
Steve C.- 62 (:Princess:)
William M- Mini Runner (squeak-o-meter! :Princess: )overnight/salad
Gary CW -45ish (:Princess: ?)
Neil Q & Mike K.. - runnin' squeaky (overnight/food)
Mike D. - Rootmobile
Dan R. - 80!! overnight/sumtin' yummy..

from CLC

Trev - 40
Tim - mini
Brent - mini runner
Justin - 55 overnight/?
Vic - 40

AxleIke
09-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm out for camping. I got in trouble for the late carnage run with all the snafu's. I have been informed by the missus that she and I will be doing something friday evening together, so I will see everyone at the trail head at 9 am, unless I have the trail meeting time incorrect.

Thanks.

Uncle Ben
09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm out for camping. I got in trouble for the late carnage run with all the snafu's. I have been informed by the missus that she and I will be doing something friday evening together, so I will see everyone at the trail head at 9 am, unless I have the trail meeting time incorrect.

Thanks.

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Carnage has a way of messing with you!

Convert
09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Made a big pot of chili for the dinner last night. Anyone camping Saturday Night?

treerootCO
09-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I am out...It is going to take longer than I thought to get the 40's plate adapter machined and reinstalled. :(

Uncle Ben
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I am out...It is going to take longer than I thought to get the 40's plate adapter machined and reinstalled. :(

If Jerry goes he is either taking his 40 or Jeralds mini so I have an open seat Root. I might actually even let you drive too! :lmao::lmao: I'm going either way so it basically would only maybe cost a Starbucks or 24U! ;) :lmao::lmao:

Uncle Ben
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Made a big pot of chili for the dinner last night. Anyone camping Saturday Night?

Bought the roast (it's an 8 pounder) so I'm ready! ;) I'll bring the long table, and my Drybox full of stuff. Are we doing a movie? :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::kevin:

Red_Chili
09-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I saw a good candidate at Sportsmans Warehouse. Jeff Foxworthy's The (Un)Prepared Hunter...

So where exactly will the camp be? I might be up there mid-day Friday, and I would hate to set up the pop-top in the wrong place!!

Jacket
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm in for Friday night, but I'll head home Saturday after the run.

Also, since the only appliance I have right now in my kitchen is a microwave, I don't think I can contribute anything meaningful to the potluck unless I stop at KFC on the way up.

nuclearlemon
09-16-2008, 01:21 PM
crap....i've wanted to run this trail for close to a decade...got a bit of extra dough that i was going to put towards bills, but dangit....i wanna go. was also planning on getting my frame welded back up so i can put groucho's old rear bumper on this weekend, but dangit...i wanna go.:dunno:

Red_Chili
09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
...unless I stop at KFC on the way up.
Who doesn't like KFC in da woods? I ask you? :lmao:

Uncle Ben
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm in for Friday night, but I'll head home Saturday after the run.

Also, since the only appliance I have right now in my kitchen is a microwave, I don't think I can contribute anything meaningful to the potluck unless I stop at KFC on the way up.

Got foil? Got engine? Got dinner rolls?

AxleIke
09-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm getting all excited now.

Wheeling with good friends, can't think of any way I'd rather spend my weekend.

Jacket
09-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Sounds like KFC and dinner rolls are a winner!

Red_Chili
09-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Yabut,... where we campin', 'zactly?

Uncle Ben
09-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Yabut,... where we campin', 'zactly?

I guess that is determined by who(m) gets there first! Silly boy.... :rolleyes:

isotel
09-16-2008, 05:25 PM
i Talked with Vic - He is a go for camping BTW, He said that Darryl will be up there on Thursday to secure a camp site.. we have a CLC Sign that we put up, The plan is to camp at the spot down Home stake road on the Right, i guess its the first Meadow on the right hand side.. Look for a White Dodge and a camper trailer if your going up early.

If that site is not large enough he may go further down the road, but look for a sign with CLC on it..

Convert
09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Are we doing a movie? :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::kevin:I've got the popcorn:lmao::lmao: No really dutch oven style.:thumb:

Going up Friday morning BVB and his :Princess:will be up in the evening in Fluffy Mobile

Red_Chili
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
...look for a sign with CLC on it..
Perfect.

Ya UB, I know the first person to get there determines the site- it is FINDING the first person to get there that had me concerned! Of course, once a few find that person, it will be like flies to meat.

bvb
09-17-2008, 09:46 PM
We could use the 2M and what channel would we use? :beer::beer:

Uncle Ben
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
We could use the 2M and what channel would we use? :beer::beer:

146.460 simplex will take care of nearly all our needs. Colorado Connection Repeater out of Vail is 147.345 (123) which is linked to all CCR 'peaders so 145.310 (123) in Denver and 145.130 (123) in C Springs can communicate with us.

Here is a link to CCR 'peads (http://www.colcon.org/repeaters.html) to find a tower near you! ;)

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Here is a crosslink (http://forum.ih8mud.com/3665059-post26.html) to Daryls post on CLC site. Between all these freaqs someone should answer something? :lmao:

Crash
09-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Dean and Natalie are out. We are still in.

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Dean and Natalie are out. We are still in.

I'm giving up on the list. Too hard to keep up with it and I have heard through the grape vine that other lurkers on the forum plan on showing up too. All I know is I'm headed up tomorrow sometime with a 8lb roast in the crock pot w taters and carrots. I'll have my big pot-o-coffee steaming in the mornin' and hitting the trail at 9am. Not sure if anyones going up with me and don't care....I'm going rain, snow or shine! ;) :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::kevin:

Jacket
09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
What time are you heading up tomorrow?

Anybody looking at a 3 - 4'ish departure time?

AxleIke
09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm giving up on the list. Too hard to keep up with it and I have heard through the grape vine that other lurkers on the forum plan on showing up too. All I know is I'm headed up tomorrow sometime with a 8lb roast in the crock pot w taters and carrots. I'll have my big pot-o-coffee steaming in the mornin' and hitting the trail at 9am. Not sure if anyones going up with me and don't care....I'm going rain, snow or shine! ;) :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::kevin:

I will see you at 9am saturday.

Convert
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
UB what time are ya leaving? Id like to get out before noon

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
UB what time are ya leaving? Id like to get out before noon

That might work for me too, not sure because of possible passenger. :confused: Thinking it would be awesome to drink beer and drown some worms!

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
My passenger is out....anyone need a seat?

nuclearlemon
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
What time are you heading up tomorrow?

Anybody looking at a 3 - 4'ish departure time?

well, i was out after last night's tire blowout since that will take all my gas $ to fix, but i just found out we're getting a bonus after 18 months so i'm back in!!!wooohoo.

i've got stuff to do in the morning, but can probably leave around then. just gotta fix the mount for my powertank and load stuff (i'll try to do most of that tonight) and i'd like to get my slider back on the passenger side, even if it's not done.

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
well, i was out after last night's tire blowout since that will take all my gas $ to fix, but i just found out we're getting a bonus after 18 months so i'm back in!!!wooohoo.

i've got stuff to do in the morning, but can probably leave around then. just gotta fix the mount for my powertank and load stuff (i'll try to do most of that tonight) and i'd like to get my slider back on the passenger side, even if it's not done.

Hmmmmm....you mean I have to save fuel and drive the speed limit and lower? Dang....hate it when I don't have to fuel up every 100 miles..... :rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmmmmm....you mean I have to save fuel and drive the speed limit and lower? Dang....hate it when I don't have to fuel up every 100 miles..... :rolleyes:

I thought you were leaving early?

rover67
09-18-2008, 02:35 PM
We may be in (Allison, the dog, and myself). Need to discuss some details tonight before we have a solid plan though. CB channel 4 for those of us sans HAM?

Rezarf
09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Bummer catching this one late... have fun!

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I thought you were leaving early?

Actually now it looks like I can! So never mind! I would leave now if I could get away with it! ;) :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 02:57 PM
We may be in (Allison, the dog, and myself). Need to discuss some details tonight before we have a solid plan though. CB channel 4 for those of us sans HAM?

Very cool and Yessir!

Jacket
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM

What about gluing the lug back on your tire? :hill:

I've got to work in the am, hit the store, pack, then I'll be ready to roll. Seems like that would be around 3'ish. You want me to check in with you tomorrow?

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Dan,
Looks like leaving early tomorrow is a go! Call my cell tonight or in the am and we'll coordinate. I am close to ready already so just a few minor things I'll get done tonight and after a few phone calls in the am I'm ready baby!

I'm just taking my Tent Coffin....anybody want to use the other one?

nuclearlemon
09-18-2008, 05:57 PM
What about gluing the lug back on your tire? :hill:

I've got to work in the am, hit the store, pack, then I'll be ready to roll. Seems like that would be around 3'ish. You want me to check in with you tomorrow?

sounds good...you got pm

Convert
09-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Dan,
Looks like leaving early tomorrow is a go! Call my cell tonight or in the am and we'll coordinate. I am close to ready already so just a few minor things I'll get done tonight and after a few phone calls in the am I'm ready baby!

I'm just taking my Tent Coffin....anybody want to use the other one?

I will call you in the am could be ready 9ish maybe earlier. need to pick up some adult bev's, pack a few last minute things. If you don't want to take the tent coffin you can bunk in my 8'x8' 4 season tent I had on the Rubicon. Are you takin fishing gear?

rover67
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM
just started packing a bit. We are planning on leaving the house at 5:30 tomorrow night and heading up. We may have to stop by breckenridge on the way, so I really don't know how late that puts us there.. maybe 9:30?

we'll eat on the road.. and drink when we get there.

I'm bringing our fishing gear.

the trail looks pretty gnarly, should be a nice challenge

Uncle Ben
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I will call you in the am could be ready 9ish maybe earlier. need to pick up some adult bev's, pack a few last minute things. If you don't want to take the tent coffin you can bunk in my 8'x8' 4 season tent I had on the Rubicon. Are you takin fishing gear?

Yes on worm drowning gear and sure, thank you, on tent! :thumb: I have several tents to choose from but for some reason I'm just not in the mood. :rolleyes: I have Octoberfest already in the fridge and need to pick up a couple things tomorrow. I was thinking I could be ready to go around 10 if that works for you as I need to make a couple calls on projects I have going. I may or may not take the projector and screen as a social night sounds more fun for me since the only other camping I've done this year was Rubithon. :(

chtucker
09-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I won't make the trip...

But if anyone needs parts run out to them/garage/tools.... I am a short drive to Leadville...

my cell is 970 four zero six 1374

You can get service as you go up battle mountain or from the top of Tennessee pass

isotel
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
N39.41350 W106.43063 Are the GPS Coordinates for the camp site. First Right after Mile marker 6.

Im not going to be able to bring my 40, but i will be there with my Runner or as a passenger..

Rock Dog
09-19-2008, 01:23 AM
I just got woke up and have to Work on a HOT issue for Lehman Brother's.. Things have been kinda rough over there this last week. My friday off was just cancelled :rant::rant: , but i still plan to make it (pending my weekend being cancelled by work :mad:)... I may not be able to make it camping depending on when we can get the issues resolved, but still gonna shoot for it...

Wish me luck, i hope to see you all there !

Neil.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I am also finally officially out. sorry. Bummed but work is taking precedence and need to finish projects today and tomorrow..

Have fun all.

TearUmUpTim
09-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Here are the pictures and video that Jenny took this weekend.

Holy Cross (http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/)

TearUmUpTim
09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Videos:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/th_HC9-20-80033.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/?action=view&current=HC9-20-80033.flv)
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/th_HC9-20-80075.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/?action=view&current=HC9-20-80075.flv)

Cleveland Rock 1st try!
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/th_HC9-20-80105.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/?action=view&current=HC9-20-80105.flv)

TearUmUpTim
09-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Pictures:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80002.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80006.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80016.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80043.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80056.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80060.jpg

TearUmUpTim
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
More Picture:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80066.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80068.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80070.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80082.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80087.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/tdb7117/Holy%20Cross%209-20-8/HC9-20-80096.jpg

TearUmUpTim
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Oops...:o

I forgot you high class Rising Sun guys have a trip report forum. I copied the pictures over there. :thumb: