PDA

View Full Version : Help me kill me computer...

subzali
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Actually I need to "redo" it. I don't know if it has a fancy name.

I don't need a new computer, it's just that my current laptop has maxed out its 40 GB hard drive somehow (and I looked through it manually and didn't find anything real obvious). I don't have that much music, video or pictures on it, so I don't understand what's taking up so much room.

So is there a way to "blank out" the hard drive and start over? I have the Windows XP CD, and I can get all my personal stuff off to come CDs (I have most of it backed up anyway), so I should be able to reload everything I need (printer, map program, reference program, re-download mozilla, irfanview, etc.) as long as I write down those things before I go boom, but how do I go about wiping out my hard drive? I think by my explanation you smart computer fellers can figure out what I'm after...

Rezarf
08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I would go down to your local store and buy an external harddrive, and for a little $ you can have like a kerbillion mega-storage thingy's...

Sams has 250gig hard drives about the size of a small book for under a hundy.

Down load it all and then clean up the laptop.

Drew

Romer
08-14-2008, 10:53 PM
I would go down to your local store and buy an external harddrive, and for a little $ you can have like a kerbillion mega-storage thingy's...

Sams has 250gig hard drives about the size of a small book for under a hundy.

Down load it all and then clean up the laptop.

Drew

x2

I had 500G and ran out with all the video I have on mine and bought a 750 GB external. They are not expensive, plus if your computer dies and you have to do a wipe, you will have your important data saved. All you need is a spare USB port.

subzali
08-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Okay, but then how do I go about cleaning up the laptop?

RicardoJM
08-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Calling TheBoomBoom, calling TheBoomBoom - Radar can use your skills...

MDH33
08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
There are a lot of software applications that will allow you to reformat, partition, de-fragment and optimize your drive space. I use Norton Disk Doctor.

40 gigs?? You need more space man. That's barely enough for a handful of applications, let alone pics, music, video, etc.

:thumb:

Romer
08-15-2008, 08:06 AM
control panel add/remove programs - use that to remove what you don't use

clear out your temporrary internet folder. I think you do that from exploere tools pop up

Go through and delete the crap you don't need like downloads and zip files.

Defrag your hard drive via the tool from the start up menu under accessories/system tools

Red_Chili
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
ShadowProtect will allow you to back up your existing hard drive, then copy everything to a new hard drive and it will boot seamlessly. Not tried this with a laptop, but if you don't put your left foot in your right glove it should be riskless to try. One of ShadowProtect's claims to fame is that it handles necessary drivers (in the case of moving from one computer to another). You won't need that.

Clean up the garbage first.

Putting the backup on an external hard drive would be the easiest. Good for archiving.

calphi27
08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
I just received a seagate 1 terabyte external HD for $200 off of amazon. fwiw

theboomboom
08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Calling TheBoomBoom, calling TheBoomBoom - Radar can use your skills...

You've got the right idea backing everything up, and as previously stated, an external drive is the easiest way to do it. CDs work fine, but I have found it a hassle to try and back everything up to them since you have to work 600 meg or so at a time. Once you're sure you've backed up everything, and I mean everything you think is irreplaceable (cuz everything else is going bye bye), reboot the lappy and get into your bios screen (usually the f2 or del key). It's also reffered to as a setup screen, so just look for instructions on how to open it during the first parts of your boot sequence. Navigate the menus until you find something regarding the boot sequence. Highlight that, and set it up so that it boots to your CD drive before your hard drive. Once thats done, save changes and exit (this is either a menu option, or performed by pressing the f10 key). The computer will reboot again, and this time pop in the XP CD. It will run you through the windows install, which you should be able to breeze through choosing the default options. When you format the drive, choose NTFS quick, or you'll effectively double the time it takes to install for no good reason. Other than that, post up if you have any more questions.

Good luck! :thumb:

leiniesred
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Wanna wipe out a hard drive?
Boot n' nuke. It works great. Don't understand the options? No sweat. Just take the defaults.

http://www.dban.org/download

Approved by the Canadian Government, eh.

subzali
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Once I do that can I rebuild it with the software cds that my laptop came with? I'm assuming that's why they were included with the laptop, as I've never needed them for anything else...

Red_Chili
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I just received a seagate 1 terabyte external HD for $200 off of amazon. fwiw
Check out www.microcenter.com and prepare to weep.

Red_Chili
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Once I do that can I rebuild it with the software cds that my laptop came with? I'm assuming that's why they were included with the laptop, as I've never needed them for anything else...
Yeppers.
Or you can keep your original hard drive as a backup and pop in a new, blank one of manly dimensions, then install everything.

RockRunner
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
What kind of laptop is it? I may have a 80/120 gb HDD you can put in it and build that HDD as new, slave your old HDD later and save all the stuff you need. Then you can still keep the old HDD as it is just in case something ever happened to the new HDD.

LMK what you have I may be able to help you out.

Rezarf
08-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Just rub a subwoofer all over the case and you will be good to go.

Drew

subzali
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Laptop in question is a Dell Inspiron 1100 from 2003. It is plenty for what I need, there's just a lot of junk on it somehow that's taking up way too much space...

74fj40
08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
heh My new laptop came with a 320gb HDD!! now that thing is nice :D

anyways, you can buy a new INTERNAL hdd for not too much, i know when i had my old laptop i bought a 120gb hdd for around $90 not to bad.

leiniesred
08-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, you'll be able to start over with a boot n nuke if you have a bootable CD or DVD to install from.
It is a scorched earth approach.

I like the "replace" idea better. Slap in a new 7200 RPM drive, buy a $20 external USB case for your old drive in case you need a file from the old computer. you get speed and some performance improvement without risking data loss.

corsair23
08-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Radar,

Just rebuilt my home computer and used a program called clean1K to wipe the hard drive clean. I think it just wipes out the registry (like a lot of viruses do :eek:). Got it from a buddy in OR so not sure where you can pick it up.

BreckBJ44
08-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Forget using a program to do it. I used to be a Dell liason for a big 5 firm. Back up your important stuff. Then completely erase the drive and boot sectors using debug and the apropriate code, and resinstall the operating system and office software.

I do this every six months to ensure that my build is clean and uncorrupted.

I can help you with this if you need help. PM me for details (keep in mind I don't check often).

Kraig