PDA

View Full Version : Waldorf ATV investigation - HIKE

subzali
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Just curious how many people are interested in exploring the area around the abandoned ATV near Argentine/Waldorf. I talked with Brant from the CCRD and we have a tentative date of either Sunday, Aug. 31 or Friday, Sept. 5 to go up there, hike in, maybe get a GPS coordinate of the location, and see what it would take to get it out of there.

I get every other Friday off, so this coincides with my off-Friday, but if Sunday works for someone else who wants to go, post up and let me know. I'm probably going to bring a small tool set and my backpack with some p-cord and lined with a couple heavy duty plastic bags to carry out some pieces/parts.

It would be an early start, probably 8-ish, because it's a difficult hike through undeveloped woods.

Here is a thread where we discussed the issue (Member's Only Forum) (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7354)

MDH33
08-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm in Matt. I can do either a Friday or Sunday.

rover67
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
If I had to pick a day it'd be friday the 5th. But I am not sure I can make it yet since i may still have family in town at that point... so don't plan around me.

leiniesred
08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
I would like to go if the 31st is selected. Thank you.

bh4rnnr
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
If it is the 31st, i'd like to try and make it. I guess it depends on how I feel after a week of wedding festives:eek:

Uncle Ben
08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
If it is the 31st, i'd like to try and make it. I guess it depends on how I feel after a week of wedding festives:eek:

Congratulations Perry! Does she know? :eek: :lmao::lmao:;)

bh4rnnr
08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
congratulations Perry! Does She Know? :eek: :lmao::lmao:;)

No!

Ron Helmuth
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
abandoned all terrain vehicle? I can not make the link work-I am no longer an official member of Rising Sun but interested in the area.

MDH33
08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
abandoned all terrain vehicle? I can not make the link work-I am no longer an official member of Rising Sun but interested in the area.

It's an atv that rolled about 1000 vertical feet while riding off trail in a very difficult to reach area in the next valley South of the Waldorf mine/Argentine Pass. The Forest Service has asked if our club could help extract it. We haven't seen exactly where it is or how mangled it is, so this would be a scouting trip to investigate. :)

Uncle Ben
08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
It's an atv that rolled about 1000 vertical feet while riding off trail in a very difficult to reach area in the next valley South of the Waldorf mine/Argentine Pass. The Forest Service has asked if our club could help extract it. We haven't seen exactly where it is or how mangled it is, so this would be a scouting trip to investigate. :)

If we are granted permission to delicately travel off the marked trail to extricate I have an winched-ATV large enough to haul it out on a trailer or????

Ron Helmuth
08-20-2008, 09:04 AM
thanks for the explanation MDH33-

I will check out the area on the Sunday 8/31 in hopes of finding it and you guys there. Should be a good time to check out some early colors. Could explore up there for days.

subzali
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
The problem is the only good access road is on XCEL energy private property. Brant is hoping to get us permission to drive up to their cooling water pond (in official vehicles from what I understand, no private vehicles), park and hoof it from there.

UB, that would be an awesome solution! Brant's the only one who's been there before, but it sounded to me like it's pretty inaccessible! But I don't know what a guy who knows what he's doing on an ATV can do! I'll ask...

subzali
08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Alright, so because more people seem to be available on the 31st, I called Brant and told him we'd be looking at that.

Date: Sunday, August 31
Meeting Time: 8:00 AM
Meeting Location: Argentine Pass Trailhead (good for parking if we are not allowed to take our own vehicles up to XCEL's reservoir)

So far I have:

-Subzali
-Martin
-Steve
-Perry
-Ron

I'm waiting to hear him call back (Tuesday and Wednesday are his days off) about UB's ATV/winch, and also to make sure he can get permission from XCEL. Stay tuned.

We can coordinate bringing tools, backpacks etc. so even if we can't get the whole thing out we can start breaking it down and maybe carry some parts out.

Things we need:
-GPS (I don't have)
-backpack (>50L preferred, I have a spare 50L if someone needs)
-heavy duty boots
-trekking poles (opt.) - gnarly terrain
-water (>= 2 qts.)
-heavy duty (3 mil) plastic bags (I'm going to dual-line my backpack with them to retain fluids etc.)
-combo wrenches (std. - 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, not sure what other sizes?)
-sockets (matching the combo wrenches)
-knife/scissors for cutting wires/hoses if needed.
-screwdrivers (#2 and #3 phillips, large and small blades)
-hammer and chisel?
-work gloves (leather)
-plastic bucket for draining excess engine oil/coolant into?

Anything else?

bh4rnnr
08-22-2008, 08:10 PM
All right, I really want to go, but dont think the runner will be ready by then. What can I say, dont want to push a friend. I'll be coming back sat night from a wedding in Vail, but have to turn in the vehicle to the pops for the next morning. Any chance I can snag a ride from Denver to the hiking point?

Many thanks in advance to any offers!:cheers::bowdown::bowdown::beer::beer:

subzali
08-25-2008, 10:10 AM
You can ride with me Perry.

Talked with Brant this morning, he's a go for this date/time. He's going to check on getting us access to the XCEL Energy road, otherwise we'll have to go to the road closure on Argentine and hike up and over the ridge.

Meeting Location: Argentine Pass Trailhead (good for parking if we are not allowed to take our own vehicles up to XCEL's reservoir)

So far I have:

-Subzali
-Martin
-Steve
-Perry
-Ron

We can coordinate bringing tools, backpacks etc. so even if we can't get the whole thing out we can start breaking it down and maybe carry some parts out.

Things we need:
-GPS (I don't have)
-heavy duty boots
-water (>= 2 qts.)
-heavy duty (3 mil) plastic bags (I'm going to dual-line my backpack with them to retain fluids etc.)
-hammer and chisel?
-work gloves (leather)
-NEW: mat'ls for a litter to carry any bulky/heavy/two-man sized pieces out? (i.e. two strong rods/poles with a piece of canvas or heavy-duty tarp in between) - does anybody have anything like this we could use?

Anything else?

Can I get a confirmation from those who are going?

MDH33
08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm still in. I have 2 portaging packs that will work great for hauling stuff. I'll bring tools as well. We can build a litter with a couple of 2x4's a tarp and some rope.

corsair23
08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Matt,

I'd be in 'cept my sister-in-law is getting married this weekend :eek:

I have an older ETrek GPS handheld your welcome to borrow in case no one going has one. Let me know soon as it might take me awhile to find it :)

Good luck you guys!!

subzali
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Jeff, if you could try and find that baby that would be great. They have a GPS coordinate that they think is correct, and I haven't heard anyone pipe up saying they have a GPS. If someone pipes up don't worry about it.

So what's going to happen is this (I just got a call back from Brant):
-We are going to meet at the parking area at the Argentine trailhead (pulloff off of Guanella Pass Road). There we can split into vehicles (not necessarily 4x4 I don't think, it's an access road for the Power Plant to their cooling water reservoir, so your typical service truck should be able to get up there).
-We will have to drive to the power plant and sign liability waivers etc. Each person in the group will need to do this, as they like to keep track of who is on their property. They will give us a key to the gates and we will be on our way.

Please post up if you're coming (I have Martin confirmed), or else we won't wait around too long for you at the trailhead!

Meeting Location: Argentine Pass Trailhead (good for parking so we can take less vehicles up to XCEL's reservoir)

So far I have:

-Subzali (confirmed, pack + extra 50L pack)
-Martin (confirmed, two portage packs)
-Steve
-Perry :(
-Ron

Things we need:
-GPS (I don't have)
-heavy duty boots
-water (>= 2 qts.)
-hammer and chisel?
-work gloves (leather)
-NEW: mat'ls for a litter to carry any bulky/heavy/two-man sized pieces out? (i.e. two strong rods/poles with a piece of canvas or heavy-duty tarp in between) - does anybody have anything like this we could use?

Anything else?

bh4rnnr
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Going to have to bail on this one:( Was going to make up for missing friday yesterday but ended up being sick...

So next sunday is the only day I can make up work. Saturday i'm working on the Outlaws Run 07 book. Sorry to bail on you guys. Really wanted to make this one.

Hope to see pics and thanks for the offer Matt.

:beer::beer:

subzali
08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Instead of the litter/stretcher, we could use one side of a ladder...I'm going to check out that possibility in the next couple of days...

Ron Helmuth
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Confirming

I have an etrek but just inheirited it and have no clue how to use it

see you there at 8

subzali
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
It's pretty easy, I've used one before. See ya then!

Meeting Location: Argentine Pass Trailhead (good for parking so we can take less vehicles up to XCEL's reservoir)

So far I have:

-Steve
-Ron (confirmed, GPS)

Things we need:
-GPS (I don't have)
-heavy duty boots
-water (>= 2 qts.)
-hammer and chisel?
-work gloves (leather)
-NEW: mat'ls for a litter to carry any bulky/heavy/two-man sized pieces out? (i.e. two strong rods/poles with a piece of canvas or heavy-duty tarp in between) - does anybody have anything like this we could use? thinking a small half of a ladder might work for this

Anything else?

MDH33
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I checked and have materials to build a litter.

I also have an oil/gas bucket with a lid for fluids.

We could use some extra people to help haul stuff out. :)

theboomboom
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll put my name down as a possibility since I haven't talked to mom and pop yet.

What i could bring:
-Garmin GPS V
-cheap-o backpack that may be good for small parts or hauling tools in
-heavy duty boots
-water (>= 2 qts.)
-BFH and set of drifts
-gloves

subzali
08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I checked and have materials to build a litter.

I also have an oil/gas bucket with a lid for fluids.

We could use some extra people to help haul stuff out. :)

Thank you Martin! And yes I agree! :thumb:

I'll put my name down as a possibility since I haven't talked to mom and pop yet.

What i could bring:
-Garmin GPS V
-cheap-o backpack that may be good for small parts or hauling tools in
-heavy duty boots
-water (>= 2 qts.)
-BFH and set of drifts
-gloves

Great! I'm thinking a full two sets of tools would be great (yours+mine). BTW if pops gives you grief about coming, I'm gonna hang it over his head for a while! :rant: :lmao: ;)

leiniesred
08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
jkimmel and I are planning on being there since we're going camping with my 4runner anyway.

I'll have my big dana designs pack
My 4runner with the usual compliment of trail tools. (everything on the list I'd guess)
GPS
trash bag
spill kit
I say build the litter (if required) out of handy trees/branches.

Hey Matt! Try to get the map datum as well as the GPS co-ordinates. It can make a pretty big difference (few hundred feet) as demonstrated in the GPS poker run.

subzali
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
For those of you not going - stay tuned to 145.145 throughout the morning and I'll try to break in once in a while and see if I can make contact with my HT.

Ron Helmuth
08-29-2008, 01:58 PM
bump for more attendees? see you all up there Sunday at 8.

subzali
08-29-2008, 02:51 PM

So far I have:

-Steve (confirmed, GPS, pack, tools, trash bags, spill container)
-JKimmel (confirmed)
-Ron (confirmed, GPS)
-Rick (theboomboom, tools, GPS)

Sweet! :thumb:

leiniesred
08-30-2008, 10:17 AM
The wives are going to camp with us here off kenosha pass. Consider us out. Sorry.

bskey
08-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyway you could get a horse up there? That could help a ton with the big stuff! I'd join y'all but I'm headed out of town tonight.

MDH33
08-30-2008, 07:54 PM
The wives are going to camp with us here off kenosha pass. Consider us out. Sorry.

:Princess: We need a whippin' smilie.

theboomboom
08-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm confirming. I'll be monitoring the 145 and I'll have my phone- seven 2 oh-tree 7 one- 7five25. Argentine pass is off of I-70 past georgetown, correct?

MDH33
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm confirming. I'll be monitoring the 145 and I'll have my phone- seven 2 oh-tree 7 one- 7five25. Argentine pass is off of I-70 past georgetown, correct?

Yes sir. Through Georgetown, and up Guanella Pass a few miles. There's a parking area (sort of) on one of the switch backs. Trail starts there, and that's where we'll meet.

subzali
08-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Well bummer to see a couple guys not able to make it. But I'll be there!

We're going to find out if a horse is a feasible option too, so stay posted!