PDA

View Full Version : 80 series gas tank leak?

subzali
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
My dad thinks he has heard of 80 series gas tank leaks from a stress crack. Is this a common problem? It looks like that thing is a pain to get out of there, and once it's out what are the options for fixing it?

He thought he smelled fuel the other day and thought, "uh-oh..."

theboomboom
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Before worrying the tank itself, inspect the cap and make sure its intact. I have a neighbor with a 100 that thought the same thing, and it turned out he had somehow lost some of the cap's innards. New cap, and the smell was completely gone.

Inukshuk
08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
When its really really hot out the tank pressure is big and I occasionally will smell gas. When I open the gas cap at tose times teh outrush of fumes and even gas spray is scary. My cap is only a few years old (emission testing made me replace it).

nakman
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
My gas tank leaks like crazy... I can barely go 250 miles and I have to dump another 18-20 gallons back in. I'm not sure where it's going I don't see any drips under the truck :confused:

Ok seriously I bet the issue with your dad's is the charcoal canister, which is under the hood. If it's hot out, and if you're going really slow, it can get pretty bad.. when they get old they don't trap the vapors as well as they usta.

corsair23
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Ok seriously I bet the issue with your dad's is the charcoal canister, which is under the hood. If it's hot out, and if you're going really slow, it can get pretty bad.. when they get old they don't trap the vapors as well as they usta.

Tell me about it! I've been doing some reading about high pressure in the tank and that also seems to lead to a charcoal canister nearing the end of its life. I have not had a chance to look, but by chance is the canister on the DS of the 80? When we went wheeling in Ouray a few weeks back, we drove part of Engineer to Animas Forks. There was a noticeable, almost toxic, stench on the DS near the wheel well. EVERYONE noticed the smell and it was similar to the smell our old Grand Am use to give off.

Anyone replace their charcoal canister yet? Difficult or easy enough for a chum like me? :D

Hulk
08-20-2008, 12:30 AM
I think you can rebuild it using aquarium charcoal.

powderpig
08-20-2008, 05:27 AM
All these guesses are mine as well. The pressure get really bad when off roading, because the fuel is cycled through the engine and is warmed by the engine. this can create fuel pressure that over whelms the charcoal canister. This happens because the system that sucks out the fumes only operates at certain rpms and and load to create vacuum. This condition to suck fumes happens more on the highway then in traffic and wheeling. I have measured about 110 degress F when wheeling on a warm day here in colorado. So the fuel can get fairly warm at times.
So Matt I have not heard of fuel tanks parting at a stress area and the tanks are not that hard to replace, a couple of hours. I would check the cap and the canister. The canister is about a $200 local. If I was replacing I would go new, as you would never know what the condition of the charcoal is.

nakman
08-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I think you can rebuild it using aquarium charcoal.

The only way to take it apart would be a hack saw or can opener.. then there's no way to get it back together. I've got an extra you're welcome to stare at..

Uncle Ben
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
The only way to take it apart would be a hack saw or can opener.. then there's no way to get it back together. I've got an extra you're welcome to stare at..

Should be able to pull the plastic bung with hose fittings out the top and replace the charcoal. Personally, I would wait and see if the problem was isolated to a few warm days or certain driving situation. If the fumes continue check the vacuum valve operation and if it is the canister replace it with new part. The fish tank grade charcoal is not the same coarseness as fuel vapor canisters. You can however source out DOT approved replacement charcoal.

RockRunner
08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
I have no idea how to remove the 80 series gas tank, my 4Runner one is a pain too but it is doable.

If all those things are not the fix and you actually have a hole in your tank or small crack you can fix it with that "gas Tank Repair" putty. I used it in Moab during CM and it has held this whole time. I highly recommend it, the stuff works. I carry a tube of it when ever we go out.

Hope that it is just the fumes from the heat but if not...........sorry.

PS Your dad works at Lockheed right? What building does he work in, I saw a nice 80 with frt/rr bumpers and lift, champagne color? is that his??

nakman
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM
PS Your dad works at Lockheed right? What building does he work in, I saw a nice 80 with frt/rr bumpers and lift, champagne color? is that his??

Matt's dad drives a rare green one, not his. But did it have a pink panty sticker in the rear window? Snorkel? Supercharger? New leather seats? Bunch of wires & crap stuck to the dashboard? Cigar wrappers on the floor? :D

RockRunner
08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Matt's dad drives a rare green one, not his. But did it have a pink panty sticker in the rear window? Snorkel? Supercharger? New leather seats? Bunch of wires & crap stuck to the dashboard? Cigar wrappers on the floor? :D

He is at lM right? I'll have to go check who owns the one at work.