PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Phone or Qwest

Romer
08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Anyone have Comcast phone? I am definitley going Comcast for Cable and Internet, just don't know much anout the quality or reliability of their Phone service. Bonni works from home so the phone has to be clear and reliable.

Chris
08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Use Comcast, much better than Qwest, better features, and just as reliable.

AxleIke
08-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Let me just say this.

I have qwest right now.

I cannot wait until my contract is up so that I can get away.

NEVER, EVER, EVER go with qwest. I have never had a company treat me so poorly. I have had 6 customer service calls to them.

Not a single one lasted less than an hour, with 3 to 4 transfers and all transfers required me to go through a 5 minute verification of my account info. Security is one thing, but come on. I am not kidding or joking, but I had a charge on my account that wasn't valid. It was a mistake on their part, and they fixed it for me. I spent 90 minutes on the phone. I would go through the security thing, detail my problem, and then the person on the other end of the line told me that they couldn't help me, and were going to transfer. I then sat on hold for 10 minutes, and it was the same story with the next guy. And the third, and finally the 4th took 30 minutes to help me.

They also, like all companies, reserve the right to change pricing on you at any time. However, all the other services I have where that right is in the fine print, never do it. Qwest has done it twice.

I also got downgraded in the internet speed because they decided that my location was no longer going to support the fast stuff.

If at all possible, stay as far away from qwest as you can.

/rant

nuclearlemon
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
i had verizon...not impressed for the money. it sounded just like my old school phone line and when the internet goes down, you loose your phone also...makes it hard to call and complain that the internet is down;)

Mendocino
08-17-2008, 05:17 PM
My wife has a Qwest mobile phone (because its bundled with a wire line at home) and we have had acceptable service. I have heard that they are switching from the Sprint to Verizon network very soon (they are a mobile vitrual network operator [MVNO] so they actually don't own wireless infrastructure.

My .02

Chris
08-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I think Romer's asking about home service not mobile. At least that's how i read it.

Convert
08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
We have had no problems with comcast phone service

Romer
08-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I think Romer's asking about home service not mobile. At least that's how i read it.

That is correct, thanks Chris for looking out for me.

My cable and internet are and will be Comcast.

My Cell is AT&T through work and the rest of the family is on Verizon.

We currently have Qwest phone service

Moving and looking at if I should switch to Comcast phone.

Bonni works from home and logs into a server and uses the phone quite a bit and it has to be reliable.

nuclearlemon
08-18-2008, 07:52 AM

that's how i gathered it too....don't even get me started on qwest/at&t/verizon mobile service:mad:

Chris
08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Moving and looking at if I should switch to Comcast phone.

I did when I moved a bit ago, no question it was the right thing to do. Like Isaac I've had nothing but horrendous service (if you can call it that) from Qwest. IMHO if any other company operated like they do they'd go out of business.

They're providing all communication for the DNC? :eek:

MDH33
08-18-2008, 10:09 AM
We have comcast internet and phone service. 2 lines. Kim and I both work from home and use these as our business lines. No problems.

corsair23
08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
:(

I'm biased but I better stay out of this thread...Doesn't sound like anyone is too fond of my company...

Ken, my only suggestion to you would be that whichever you decide, avoid any long term committments with fees should you not meet those committments, just in case you decide that your choice was not the right one.

P.S. Qwest home phone service for 12+ years with never a problem and my phone works even when the lights in the house go out (if you have an old style phone, not a cordless, which I do for just those occasions). Of course I haven't gone the way of VoIP/digital phone line yet either. I have had DSL for 4+ years with never a problem and no "sharing" of my bandwidth with the neighbors. Never had Qwest increase my bill? Have had the taxes and "fees" that Qwest collects for others increase steadily but Qwest doesn't control that....I will admit that at times Qwest customer service is less than desireable (have to be PC here) but service wise the stuff just plain works. You would be surprised at the hoops Qwest, as a regulated entity, must go through that the others (including Comcast) do not. If they can just resolve the customer service problem...

Chris
08-18-2008, 04:37 PM
:eek: Nothing personal but any company that takes 2 weeks, phone calls galore and numerous techs over that same period to figure out a condo phone isn't working because they were using opposing lines on what was previously a two line system needs serious improvement.

Again, unless you were one of the people I dealt with, no offense intended. ;)

corsair23
08-19-2008, 12:49 AM
No offense taken :)

Trust me, I've heard a LOT of stories from family and friends and have tried to step in to help where I can at times. Customer service can be a HUGE differentiator in a world where things all appear the same even if they are not. More often than not though the stories aren't over the quality of the service, but something simple like a screw up on the billing, a missed appointment, etc. Simple things that should be resolved in about 5 minutes with ONE phone call...

Romer
08-19-2008, 07:21 AM
We have had west service for years. We did have a problem with noise on the line so bad Bonni couldn't work for a week, but that was taken care of. My main reason is $$$. I have another friend who works for Comcast who can save me a lot if I get the 3 bundle.

I had Qwest Internet for a bit and it doesn't compare to Comcast. My dad switched from Comcast Internet to Qwest against my advice to save a few bucks and is now waiting for his year to finish so he can switch back.

Sorry Jeff, didn't start this to bash your company. Just wanted to see if we could use Comcast voice for Bonni's work and wanted to know how reliable it is.

MDH33
08-19-2008, 07:25 AM
When I lived in Denver I had Qwest phone and high speed DSL. No complaints. The reason We switched to Comcast is because it is the ONLY high speed internet provider in our new location up here in the hills. :hill: (it's also cheaper). ;)

DaveInDenver
08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm biased but I better stay out of this thread...Doesn't sound like anyone is too fond of my company...
FWIW, we have Qwest phone and DSL and no complaints. Our service is very basic, dial tone only POTS, 1.5Mbps/768Kbps DSL and lowest Qwest.net ISP (essentially just DNS for $5). Our monthly bill comes in around $50. One service call in 5 years at the current house, a squirrel chewed our drop to the network terminal on the side of the house. They fixed that the next day while I was at work. Can't complain, they get me what I ask and haven't raised our price since 2003 other than what Congress collects. I called Comcast and even with a bro deal it was gonna be nearly $100 minimum. They won't do Internet without TV and won't do telephone without TV and Internet. Screw that, said Dave. I'll take the $50 per month savings and buy expensive beer and cheap hookers.

Chris
08-19-2008, 07:42 AM
No intent on my part to bash anyone or any company, just stating the facts as they apply to me. The Comcast bundle is a good package and reliable so far. For the record, my mother (84) has Comcast too and during the heat wave lost electricity thus all internet, tv and phone service for 11 hours in what Comcast said would be a 4 hour outage. Again, just the facts.

Maddmatt
08-19-2008, 08:57 AM
In my opinion, its all luck. I had Comcast internet/cable when I was working from home. Really enjoyed the "on demand" TV, especially with little ones in the house. Great to be able to catch Little Bill or Franklin anytime you want.

But the Comcast digital internet was a constant source of frustration. Took them forever to put it in, and over the course of 4.5 years was probably down an average of one day per month. Doesn't seem like much, but the whole joy of working from home goes downhill pretty quickly when you have to pack up and go to Kinkos to do your job.

During the installation, they were upgrading the lines at the same time, and had to dig a hole in my front yard, about 5 feet long, 1 foot wide and 2 feet deep. They also dug through a sprinkler line, and removed a head. After three months of non-returned phone calls and emails, I finally fixed the line, installed a new sprinkler head and refilled and resodded the hole myself. I realize they get a utility easement, and I have no problem with them using it, but I was taught that when you're done digging a hole, you fill it back in. The excuse was that they had used a subcontractor for the holes, so the hole itself was technically not Comcast's problem, and if I had an issue I should take it up with the subcontractor, who's name they were not at liberty to divulge. That went on for months, until I finally gave up.

So as you can tell, Customer Service, as with virtually every company these days, was horrible.

Since we've switched to Qwest, the only problem we ever have is our POS modem which freezes up from time to time. Luckily I've seen enough techs at work in offices to know everything they teach at tech school (unplug it, count to ten, plug it back in. $50 please.) and that fixes it every time.

Honestly can't say I notice any difference in speed between the Qwest DSL service and the Comcast cable service for the internets. Supposedly the DirecTV service you get with the Qwest bundle has more Hi-Def channels than Comcast, which I'm sure my 1994 GE TV appreciates.

At the end of the day I pay $150/month for Cable, internet and unlimited phone service, both local and long distance which is helpful when you have family in four other states. The same level of service from Comcast (with Qwest for phone - this was before Comcast was offering bundles) was well over $200, so I'm pretty happy with the change. In the three years since we've switched, I've never needed Qwest customer service, which is fine with me, but I have no feedback on their performance.

I do miss that On Demand TV though - I liked watching football games with no commercials and no timeouts (do they still do that?) and catching the occasional campy movie at a time of my choosing.
-Matt

RockRunner
08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
My only problem with Comcast phone is a power outage, can last a few minutes or days.

Qwest, if and that is a BIG IF, if you still have a standard phone like Jeff and myself the line is up during a power outage.

We have experiences with both and for a land line I prefer Qwest. We have a touch-tone old style phone in the closet and if needed we pull it out. We can still use the Internet if need be with dial up, very slow but it works. Comcast does not allow that.

I bet everyone here has a story about both companies of why they would never use them. Both companies can do better in the customer service department and that is a fact nobody can deny.:rolleyes:

Ken the question I think you need to ask your wife is "Do you need to use the phone/Internet during a power outage?" If she can live without for a while then save the money, if not Qwest is the way to go.

Don't forget we all have cellphones now so we may be able to use those for emergencies unless it is raining/snowing so hard we don't get a signal. Maybe add Internet tethering (SP) to her cell phone if you can, she can work during a power outage;)

Hulk
08-20-2008, 12:37 AM
We have Qwest phone and DSL. Both are fine. Unlimited long distance is awesome.

Called Qwest recently to upgrade my DSL. Turns out I was able to upgrade my speed at no additional cost! I thought that pretty much rocked.

Romer
08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Another question for those with Comcast, do you have to have a cable jack in all the rooms or do they tie into the existing Phone jacks

Chris
08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
They tie it in Ken, the tech explained it to me but I don't really understand. The key fact is your old phone jacks work with Comcast.

MDH33
08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Another question for those with Comcast, do you have to have a cable jack in all the rooms or do they tie into the existing Phone jacks

You'll need one "designated" cable jack for the modem. The modem will plug into a phone jack and control all of them through out the house. The only drawback is the 'designated" cable jack. Once you choose which one to connect to, it can't be easily switched to another in the house.