PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse - Work date from the Go4s President

Red_Chili
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
From the Go-4s. Contact Brian if you can make it! BrianRose167 'at' msn 'dot' com.
They are a small club and we promised to help with this project. They got a grant to complete it. If you enjoy Slaughterhouse at all, please consider helping!
OK everyone,

Get your work gloves ready, we have a date - October 4th (if there are any objections, please let me know). I just got off of the phone with Scott and this is a perfect date for him. Today is going to be a busy day for him as he is going to SHG to coordinate the bulldozer today. Just a bit of history, we originally tried to coordinate our work-trip to happen right before the bulldozer gets there so that once the bulldozer was finished grating the area, they would put up the cable and close the areas. His concern now is that he will have to do the grating now and some of that will be destroyed before we get in there to put up the post and cable. Anyway, it sounds like he is going to try to minimize the impact as much as possible by throwing up the gate in Crow Gulch until we do what we do.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson... We have a few things that we need to get started on now!

1. First and foremost we need to recruit and we need someone to manage the list of volunteers, Brian Rose were you still going to do this? Let's get some help in thinking outside of the box on this one as we do have many areas that we can tap from, for example someone mentioned one time Boy Scouts. Don't know if this is a viable option, but these are the kind of ideas that we need from everyone.
2. Rick, we need confirmation from your friend Eli that October 4th will work for him as he was going to provide much of the equipment. We also need rental rates from him as well, keeping in mind that every penny we spend will need to be accounted for with accurate and detailed receipts that have company letter head on them and such.
3. Wendal, you volunteered to head up the work day raffle. I will need to get you that signed form for you to present to the shops in the area and if you do not see it in the next day or two please bug me for it.
4. Supplies. I volunteered to purchase the posts, cable, and the "Maintained by the Go4's" sign and will take care of that.
I am just writing this off the top of my head, please let me know if I am missing something to get this ball rolling.

Thanks and pray it does not snow...
Ken - Prez

RockRunner
08-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Bill, post it up on the calendar and events too. Depending on my wife I could help.

Red_Chili
08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
That would be cool. Unfortunately that falls on a pre-planned hunting weekend or I would be there too! So I hope we will be well represented.

Red_Chili
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Bump! They need volunteers!

Bikeman
09-06-2008, 10:15 AM
My employee, Greg, a member of the Go-4's, has stated that Sunday, the 5th, will be included as a work day.

I will probably go up Sunday to help out.

Anyone else want to go?

Red_Chili
09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I may be in. Seems one of the landowners who had an access agreement with the G&F department had a hunter dump their antelope carcasses in his pond, fouling his water, and sickening his cattle. So no more access, at any price.

:rant::rant::rant:

So it ain't just OHV users who can be morons.

[this just in, the ranchers around our unfortunate friend are fine people and our hunting party is back on. This ends our regularly scheduled whinefest... :D]

Chris
09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I will probably go up Sunday to help out.

Would you give me some background? I've heard widely varying comments of this club.

Bikeman
09-06-2008, 01:25 PM
PM me.

Red_Chili
09-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Just a bump - the work is being done this weekend!! I would be there but I need to be chasing goats across Wyoming. If you are able to participate in this worthy project, post up on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/go4s/

There will be a campout Friday night, and door prizes. This project will rival our Jenny Creek project and should be TWO of the following:
1) a great time doing a fun project!
2) certain to make a lasting difference not only for wheeling, but for the environment! A twofer!
3) a campaign stop for one of our presidential candidates, identity to be disclosed Friday night!

Be there or be square!

nuclearlemon
09-30-2008, 08:53 AM
your link doesn't go to the thread on their project...it goes to some sort of introductory page (at least for me...maybe it's blocked by our stupid websense:mad:)

Red_Chili
09-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Right - so you can sign up and gain access to their site. Then the Yahoo messages are in a simple single-forum format. Sorry for any confusion.

nakman
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone still thinking of going up on Sunday? I may be able to for a bit, if that's still a go?

Bikeman
10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I will try for Sun., too, but I have been working the last 6 Sundays and my wife wants me to go to church!

Red_Chili
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Go to Saturday nite service! :thumb:
Just teasing.
That is awesome, guys, that you are going up. Well worth the trouble. I would if not for prior commitments.

nakman
10-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Well that was fun, I knew Gavin wouldn't be much of a post hole digger, so I figured where we could contribute would be to just drive up Sunday morning and deliver breakfast to the other volunteers. Quite a bit of progress up there..

For starters, they put post and cable up on that bypass to the first switchback, just past the gate right after we air down? I know most all of us enjoyed driving through this bypass, but no more... and I forgot my camera, so cell phone pics are all you get.

nakman
10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Stump Hill has been bulldozed, the bottom entrance has been built up considerably, and there is post and cable now at both the top and bottom. I must say, it's filling in with growth quite nicely, and looked really pretty yesterday with the yellow leaves.

nakman
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
After I met a few guys who were breaking down camp, I was informed the rest of the work party was working at the mud pits, so I headed straight that way. But when I got to the bottom of "tippy hill," I was greeted by an enormous gate. It was clear from the tracks that they all drove through here, and then just shut the gate behind them, but I couldn't budge the sucker, there's probably a latch or something that I couldn't find, or else it just weighs more than I was up for lifting. So I left the gate shut and did what most of you would have done at that point... run the loop backwards!

nakman
10-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Going up that tippy hill was a lot of fun, actually more fun than going down. It was cool to experience all of those familiar obstacles from the other direction too, made for a pretty enjoyable trail. And being solo, we made pretty good time...

That one other mud pit that's in the meadow where we always stop to watch each other go up and down that one hill is completely dry. I was under the impression at one point that this was going to be closed off but that's clearly not the case.

nakman
10-06-2008, 08:49 AM
On my way back out I met up with the whole Go 4's group at the bottom of stump hill again, and did my best to unload more muffins, turnovers, & OJ... they were headed back towards the front to set the last few posts in concrete, then string up the cable, then call it a day. In all their work appeared to be a very good effort, and hopefully what it takes to keep that area open for all of us. Thanks, Go 4 guys! :cheers: :thumb:

corsair23
10-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Tim,

You the man! Thanks for doing that!

Uncle Ben
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Tim,

You the man! Thanks for doing that!

Absolutely, times 2000, right on the button, to what he said! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown: http://www.soloimagen.net/public/dibujosanimados/Inspector_Gadget1.jpg

Hulk
10-06-2008, 10:14 PM
For starters, they put post and cable up on that bypass to the first switchback, just past the gate right after we air down? I know most all of us enjoyed driving through this bypass, but no more...

Not surprised about this. The last couple of years we've run the trail, I've thought that this would happen. Too bad they didn't close the "road" and leave the "bypass" open -- it was way more fun.

Stump Hill has been bulldozed, the bottom entrance has been built up considerably, and there is post and cable now at both the top and bottom. I must say, it's filling in with growth quite nicely, and looked really pretty yesterday with the yellow leaves.

I was amazed how good it looks this summer. I do mourn the loss of the hill though. It was always fun to watch everyone go up, strap a couple of open 40s, etc. Don't get me wrong, I understand it was the right thing to do, and I never drove it after it was posted that it wasn't part of the official trail. But for years, I didn't know there was another way to get to the top of Stump Hill -- I thought that was the trail.

Glad you were able to get up there. It's great that the Go-4s were able to do all of this!