PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready to Durabak My Entire 80

Nay
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm prepping now for a full Durabak project on my 80 on Thursday - yes, the entire thing will be going from Oxidized White to Avocado Green.

I have 3 gallons and am planning 3 coats, all to be rolled on. If anybody has any tips from experience, particularly on how to deal with window gaskets (beyond taping and applying the Durabak up to the edge), I'd be most appreciative.

My primary goal is to stop the rust spots that are now prevalent due to the paint condition permanently without dealing with paint I'll scratch up anyway. I want it to look great from 20 feet, good up close, and above all be functional.

Pics and progress and results will be posted of course ;).

Thanks!

corsair23
08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Aren't you the one that likes having a light weight 80? :hill:

Sorry I don't have any tips or tricks (other than what I've read on MUD) but I'm curious to see how it turns out!

FJBen
08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
:eek:

you are brave...have fun with that...I'd probably end up getting it everywhere I didn't want it.

:lmao:

Nay
08-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Aren't you the one that likes having a light weight 80? :hill:!

It's only 10 lbs a gallon, I'm hoping 30 lbs won't break the bank on weight :hill:

Plus, I just took off my cheesy gold package badging, and you know how much that stuff weighs :D

I'll be the first to admit that this project scares me. It's either going to be incredibly simple (with a great deal of elbow grease) or an absolute nightmare.

My paint is so shot that I'm at %&?! or get off the pot stage as I can't go through another winter from a potential rust damage perspective (it's only surface spot rust right now), and I can do all of this myself so I'm just trying to arm myself with as much input as possible to avoid a major screwup.

corsair23
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
It's only 10 lbs a gallon, I'm hoping 30 lbs won't break the bank on weight :hill:

I'm surprised...I always thought that stuff added quite a bit of weight and that doing an entire vehicle would be like adding 500 lbs of armour.

My hat is off to you for attempting this! I don't even have the guts to contemplate pulling my cladding/flares and lining those areas let alone the entire vehicle :thumb:

treerootCO
08-19-2008, 03:57 PM
I would use a better quality product than Durabak if I were in your position. You could cover the entire car in roofing tar and save a ton.....but why would you?

Nay
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm surprised...I always thought that stuff added quite a bit of weight and that doing an entire vehicle would be like adding 500 lbs of armour.:

The weight issues comes up on almost every thread, you're not alone. Apparently this stuff is pretty thin, clearly you need a lot more than painting it, but it's not excessive. Of course, that assumes 3 gallons is enough... :eek:

sleeoffroad
08-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I did a trailer years ago with Durabak. Two seasons and it looked like crap. Cow poop mixed with faded paint.

Nay
08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I did a trailer years ago with Durabak. Two seasons and it looked like crap. Cow poop mixed with faded paint.

I should note that I'm using the UV protection version (Durabak 18). Theoretically that resolves the UV fade side of things, although not necessarily the cow poop side of things.

FJBen
08-19-2008, 04:33 PM

thats what we like to call "greeley camouflage" :D

Nay
08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I would use a better quality product than Durabak if I were in your position. You could cover the entire car in roofing tar and save a ton.....but why would you?

I think a guy on mud used nuclear waste container liner, which apparently survived a tree getting dropped on his roof courtesy of a tornado. Sounds as southern as it is.

I'd hate to use roofing tar sans the shingles.

nakman
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
The weight issues comes up on almost every thread, you're not alone. ...

Well see in the old days we all gave you a hard time for not regearing. But now that you've got 5.29's, we have to give you crap for wanting to have a "lightweight 80" ... :D :lmao: an oxymoron, if there ever was one, though yours is likely the lightest built one around. :bowdown:

But anyway since you already bought the Durabak, I say go for it and take lots of pictures! And leave extra for touch-up/peeling down the road. The only time I sprayed bed liner we spent a half a day sanding all of the paint off before spraying.. and sure enough a year later the little spots that peeled up had paint under them. So prep is key, I would suggest at the least wipe it all down with something strong, like Acetone.

treerootCO
08-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I prefer anything with methyl ethyl bad stuff on the label :hill: Acetone, wax and grease remover, or turpentine will work well for prep.

and make sure to familiarize yourself with the, "I got por15 on my..." thread on mud.

Nay
08-19-2008, 06:35 PM
and make sure to familiarize yourself with the, "I got por15 on my..." thread on mud.

:lmao: I remember that thread.

Durabak calls for prep with Xylene I think, once the sanding is done.

Nay
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
About 7 hours of prep, I'd say I'm committed at this point :D

1 gallon did a full coat, so I can easily do three coats if needed.

FJBen
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
About 7 hours of prep, I'd say I'm committed at this point :D

1 gallon did a full coat, so I can easily do three coats if needed.

Holy guacamole....

I"m sure you are going to get some good names from this. You went from rare white color to UBER rare green :D

nakman
08-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Holy guacamole....

I"m sure you are going to get some good names from this. You went from rare white color to UBER rare green :D

Hmmmm, green with envy perhaps? :lmao: sorry, someone had to say it.

But looking promising Nay, can't wait to see pics of the whole deal!

farnhamstj
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
:eek:

Red_Chili
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Holy guacamole....

He has his new handle right there.
Mods, whattya say? Change Nay to HolyGuacamole?

FJBen
08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Hmmmm, green with envy perhaps? :lmao: sorry, someone had to say it.

But looking promising Nay, can't wait to see pics of the whole deal!

hehehe...

my new paint scheme is coming soon...too many white 80's around :cool: It's already begun

Uncle Ben
08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
He has his new handle right there.
Mods, whattya say? Change Nay to HolyGuacamole?

....all in favor say aye!

AYE!

:lmao::lmao:

Convert
08-22-2008, 02:50 PM
aye!!

FJBen
08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
oh aye!

Rezarf
08-22-2008, 05:57 PM
can't wait to see it.

Nay
08-22-2008, 11:56 PM
It's done :beer:

Here it is with two coats...

"It ain't easy being green..."

Nay
08-22-2008, 11:59 PM
This is the mess that one coat makes....

Shark Bait
08-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Holy Crayola, Batman! :eek: No going back now. :D

Nay
08-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Terrible lighting for the finished shot...

Electrical tape for prep is key around the trim and gaskets, you pull it and it cuts the Durabak in a line like a knife. Extra "blue" paint tape was a mess to remove, you'd just bury it if that's all you used.

I'll be painting my trimmed rear quarters - they are subject to the occasional bit of bumper abuse (despite my "hockey puck cut in half in an angle between the frame brace and reinforced cut panel that works like a charm design :hill:) and rather than deal with potential Durabak peel spreading like a disease I'm just gonna paint 'em.

Pass the salsa :D

Jenny Cruiser
08-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Now all you need is a Forest Service decal on each door.:)

Hulk
08-24-2008, 12:09 AM
As the 80 series gets older, the vehicles no longer look all the same, do they? :D

Looks good!

Uncle Ben
08-24-2008, 10:05 AM
WOW! That took some cahones to actually whip up HolyGuacamole! Looks a lot better than I would have guessed.

Beater
08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
needs a yellow stripe/number plates

RockRunner
08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Where ever you go there will be chips and dip.

Looks pretty cool, would like to see it in person sometime.

Mendocino
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
This is an incredible testament to self esteem and commitment; Wow!:D

Nay
08-25-2008, 03:47 PM
I've got a few different threads going on this project (MUD), and am trying to keep up basic info on each.

One interesting result is the sample chip for this color looking at it straight on really looks like an Avocado skin, it's a darker base with some lighter elements and a nice sheen - if you look at a section of the rig straight on it looks just like the sample. From a distance on the whole rig, though, the color is much lighter and "muddier" because you are seeing the color of the raised texture from an angle, and it becomes guacamole (or a carsick alligator depending on your preferred analogy :lmao:).

I was always concerned about the large scale result from a color perspective, which is actually why I chose this color over the red, blue, or dark green - it had a much better gloss and color depth on the sample than the others.

What you don't know until you commit is how it will look in 3D and in a large scale, and it is really very different. I like it in a "laugh out loud every time I see it" kind of way, but I was looking for a more sophisticated look.

I am doing a test strip on cardboard to see if I can "ripen" the Avocado by rolling black Rustoleum gloss on just the textured bits, retaining the darker green that is flat against the body.

Having said that, I love how easy it was to work with this stuff in a DIY roll on application and the functionality of the result. It is very uniform and the lines up against the window gaskets came out so clean because you are "laying" this stuff on rather than painting it, and it really spreads itself up against any trim. Use electrical tape as the base for your prep and it cuts the Durabak like you used an exacto knife.

If I end up tweaking the color I'll post up the results, and if not, pass the chips :hill:

Bikeman
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I want to see it in person! Good work.

farnhamstj
08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
What about once it gets muddy. Will the texture hold the mud and washing result in clean on the mountain tops and dirty in the valleys?
It'll be a good story in 20 years, "Hey, you remember that time you painted your truck with a roller and it came out looking like guacamole.:lmao:"

Nay
08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
What about once it gets muddy. Will the texture hold the mud and washing result in clean on the mountain tops and dirty in the valleys?
It'll be a good story in 20 years, "Hey, you remember that time you painted your truck with a roller and it came out looking like guacamole.:lmao:"

I hear the stuff cleans up nice with a pressure spray, but we'll see.

As for a good story...no doubt :lmao:

Nay
09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Here's a couple of pics of the finished look, it darkened as it cures, but I am finding my camera likes to overexpose the pics in full sun.

General public response has been, in the words of two firemen who came up to talk to me at the gas station yesterday, "that is just badass :D".

Not a good mod if you don't want public attention ;)

nakman
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
That's sweet, Nay.. so you're essently pinstripe-proof now, eh?

leiniesred
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I saw Nay's rig on the road on Friday. It is very...Green.

Nay
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
That's sweet, Nay.. so you're essently pinstripe-proof now, eh?

Yep :D

Nay
09-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I saw Nay's rig on the road on Friday. It is very...Green.

You've never seen so much green :hill:

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the inspiration, Nay. I'm fixing my faded gelcoat topper with this method, thanks to you.

Nay
04-12-2009, 09:53 AM
It's a great project, wish I had done it a long time ago. I absolutely love having a Durabak'd rig. Take a look at U-pol (I think that's what it is called) - less expensive and they have some cool colors. You can probably also add some base paint to any of them to adjust your color before you start.

Supposedly it's a bit closer to paint than Durabak in how it comes out, and perhaps not quite as textured? Good luck - make sure whatever product you go with you get the UV protectant version so it doesn't fade :thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Anybody had experience with the smooth Durabak? I used the round Durabak for the interior of Wild Rice before anyone even heard of the stuff and it held up great for the most part. Light gray smooth DB might just be what I'm after!

Nay
04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Back before I turned my 80 into a Mexican side dish, I bought smooth white UV Durabak just to deal with the paint oxidation for once and all, and I ended up selling it and trying to restore the paint. You can see what I thought of the results of that little exercise.

I imagine it would work just fine, but I wonder how much toughness you would lose in terms of taking a scratch that would show? Just thinking out loud, the textured stuff is great as long as you keep your knuckles protected while working near the rig :hill:

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Back before I turned my 80 into a Mexican side dish, I bought smooth white UV Durabak just to deal with the paint oxidation for once and all, and I ended up selling it and trying to restore the paint. You can see what I thought of the results of that little exercise.

I imagine it would work just fine, but I wonder how much toughness you would lose in terms of taking a scratch that would show? Just thinking out loud, the textured stuff is great as long as you keep your knuckles protected while working near the rig :hill:

The textured is just so perminant. Inside took a little getting used to but I did, do, like it. Just not sure I can handle driving a sanding sponge.... :dunno:

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I want the texture for my truck topper, but not sure I'd want it for the exterior of my truck. I'll need to look at the Guacmobile first. At this point, my bed might be savable, but I need new fenders and doors. Durabak won't save them.

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
How did the textured Durabak do at the panel gaps?

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
How did the textured Durabak do at the panel gaps?

DB seals awesome! In fact if you have a hole or crack you do not want all you have to do is put a piece of tape across it and roll the stuff on! It is thick and will develop a layer that is resistant to everything! Just be sure it's what you want ahead of time as it's also resistant to EVER removing it!

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Dam (beaver type of course) you NAY! I am seriously considering covering WR in Light Grey UV textured DB along with Black textured fenders and trim. PLEASE....PLEASE I beg of my RS brothers and sisters to get this moronic idea out of my head! :eek: :banghead::brick::comp::help::bawl::rolleyes::rant:

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
So if I want to remove the gaps, just run a strip of tape down the seam, cover with DB and presto! no more seam. Just great. So how do I avoid that? :lmao:

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Don't talk him out of it. It's a great idea. Glad I revived the thread.

It won't even take a whole gallon. Coupl'a pints of each color.

Dam (beaver type of course) you NAY! I am seriously considering covering WR in Light Grey UV textured DB along with Black textured fenders and trim. PLEASE....PLEASE I beg of my RS brothers and sisters to get this moronic idea out of my head! :eek: :banghead::brick::comp::help::bawl::rolleyes::rant:

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't talk him out of it. It's a great idea. Glad I revived the thread.

It won't even take a whole gallon. Coupl'a pints of each color.

Your not helping....now go away John! :rant:

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
The coercion continues (http://www.nonslipcoating.com/bodypaint.htm)

And on an '86-sh Trooper II
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/images/rob-closeup.jpg
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/images/rob.jpg

Convert
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM

You were the one who said no fancy paint it needs to be easily repairable. Sounds like you found the answer Just do it!!!!:thumb:

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm totally doing tan and white in texture. I'm psyched. Rust be damned, I'll just hide it and pretend it's not there. That's what I do anyway.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/durbak-1.jpg

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 09:28 PM
You were the one who said no fancy paint it needs to be easily repairable. Sounds like you found the answer Just do it!!!!:thumb:

You guys are supposed to talk me out of it! :rolleyes: