PDA

View Full Version : measuring shocks question

CardinalFJ60
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I've got 4 OME shocks to replace the ooollld Rancho 9000's on my 40. I've got about 2.5" lift on it. the current ranchos (front, PN999113) show collapsed at about 13.75" and extended at 20" from the spec sheet online. The OME when extended are 21".

I want to be sure I'm measuring correctly. I'm just measuring from the top of the eyelet to the bottom, that is, the entire length of the shock. is that right? or should I be measuring from the bottom of the eyelets for the length of the cylinder itself?

thanks!

DaveInDenver
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I'd have assumed eye-to-eye length, but that's only a guess.

FJBen
08-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I'd have assumed eye-to-eye length, but that's only a guess.

x2 thats how I always measured them.

CardinalFJ60
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
that's what I figured...just wanted to be sure the new ones aren't the wrong length.

:cheers:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-21-2008, 12:34 AM
are you changing shocks?
what are you doing with whatever is coming off?

CardinalFJ60
08-21-2008, 07:09 AM
well, the Rancho 9000s are fairly old but quite classy. I might bronze them :lmao: ...but heck...if you want them, we could 'talk'. ;) I'm sure you'll like the proposal. :beer:

for a little background, the rest of the suspension is Rancho (rides like iron) and I'm trying to do something to help the ride a little. new leafs are a couple notchs down the project list at this point..

nakman
08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Did you take the Ranchos off and try driving it with nothin?

CardinalFJ60
08-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Just got back inside from squirtin' a little PBB on them. gonna be a weekend project. I think I will take it for a spin around the neighborhood...I didn't think about it, but now I sure will. Obviously, no harm as long as I keep it slow, eh?

those springs are STIFF, any chance I'd also smooth them out a little by driving w/o shocks. (please say yes.) I suppose I could also bend up those little tabs on the leafs someday. I've heard that helps. any-hoo...weekend here we come!

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-21-2008, 08:21 PM
drive it without the shocks.
got anywhere to try to flex it out without them on?

if you feel ambitious, drive down, we'll take them off and go over the hill ;)
BTW, Hidden Valley is supposed to be grated so i hear its quite mild right now.

no pucker factor right now :lmao:

nakman
08-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Shawn, I saw you driving south on Wadsworth this morning, right around 88th.. I was headed north. Couldn't tell if you took the shocks off though, did ya?

CardinalFJ60
08-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry I missed ya'! I usually have my Cruiser-Radar on...'cept, you prolly weren't driving the 80, eh?

I was on my way to SBS Electronics to have them put a decent CB antenna setup on there. the mag-mount days are OVER. :D Those guys are really good over there. I feel a little :o about it, but heck, I've installed three CBs and antenna setups, I know I can do it...I just chose not to this time. :D

Shocks still on there. I'll be taking them off tonight (after a little lawn maint.)

CardinalFJ60
08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
drive it without the shocks.
got anywhere to try to flex it out without them on?

if you feel ambitious, drive down, we'll take them off and go over the hill ;)
BTW, Hidden Valley is supposed to be grated so i hear its quite mild right now.

no pucker factor right now :lmao:

Uh, I'm still puckered from this little jam I put myself in...:D