PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Items For Sale and Want to Buy

Air Randy
08-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to fixing up LC's, fell into owning a 1974 FJ40 when my son needed to part with his. He bought it and it sat in his driveway for 2 years. I've had it for a month and it's already undergone major changes. I have no idea what the stuff I'm taking off is worth, I'm sure you guys will let me know.

1-I took the factory hard top off since I want a soft top on it. It looks like it was never off before, there is no rust that I can see on the inside or out though there is no headliner. There is a 1/2" hole in the center where an antenna was installed. It has the lift up rear window, the handle works, the gas struts are good and all the glass & seals are good. Everything is a very faded smurf blue color. I'm posting pictures but they may be poor quality since I had to reduce them so much to fit the web site requirements.

2-I have the factory hard doors. I am no expert but I don't think they have had bondo on them, no rust inside or out that I can see and all of the hardware is intact. All the glass is good, windows roll up/down, wing vents close, etc.

3-Stock distributor/coil/ignitor/plug wires. It ran fine with this but I wanted an HEI distributor in it so I don't have to mess with points in the future.

4-I have the stock Aisin carb w/manual choke and rod linkage. It runs OK (still on the engine) at speed but idles rough. I figure it needs rebuilt and I'm planning to replace it with a weber since I'm no good at rebuilding carbs.

5-Stock front/rear leaf springs, shackles and 4 Ryder XT gas shocks (all seem to be in good shape) w/steering stabilizer. The stock springs didn't seem droopy but the bushings were shot. Since I wanted bigger tires anyways I replaced the whole sheebang with a 4" lift suspension system.

Want to Buy: Iíve already rebuilt the center gear and replaced the tie rod ends but I need a rebuilt or good used manual steering gear. I would be willing to put on power steering if I can find a good used bolt on system that is affordable.

I would also like to add disc brakes to the front if anyone has a good used bolt on kit.

I guess thatís all for now unless anyone is interested in practicing their knuckle joint rebuilding skills sometimes in the next two weeks :D. Iíve never done knuckle joints before but Iíll try to muddle through it with the manual. Iím always willing to spring for pizza and beer :beer:for some experienced assistance. I have a nice shop thatís heated in winter and Iím always willing to return favors if somebody else needs a hand I can help with.

Give me a call if you have questions on anything at 303-319-8976. I live in Franktown South of Parker if you want to stop by and see these items. I hope to see you all at the next club meeting in Sept. Thanks-Randy

subzali
08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Check the tech section - we have two threads just recently - one about power steering on an FJ40, and another about a front disc conversion - good reading :)

Aisin or Weber - there's always a time to learn something new :D - rather than mess with fiddling in a Weber, keep the Aisin and there's people on this board who have rebuilt them that can help you out :thumb:

Front axle service - pretty easy, just long and messy. There are threads here and links in the technical link section of IH8MUD.com that go through it step-by-step, but since you have the manual that's even better (is it factory service or Haynes?)

Sorry I can't use any of your parts right now, good luck!

corsair23
08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
WELCOME to the forum Randy! Hope to see you at the September meeting if you can make it.

Just a couple things.

First, from what I can tell from the pictures both the top and the doors look to be in really good condition :thumb:. Too bad about the hole in the fiberglass roof but that could be mended. Anyway, if the top is really in as good of condition as it appears you should be able to get $500ish for it I would think. Especially if the edges are not rusted out and the fiberglass top and drip rail around the edge is in good shape minus the 1/2" hole. Just depends upon whom might be looking for a top and how long you're willing to sit on it :) - If you don't get much response here in a week or so I'd throw it up on Craigslist as well and see if you get any interest. After that I'd throw it up on IH8MUD.com

Second, those doors look GREAT as well. Most rust out along the bottom edge of the door so if yours don't have any rust there you should be able to get a good price for them. Not sure what that would be but I would think at least $100+ per door :dunno:. Personally, unless you sell the top and doors as a set to someone I suggest you keep them. You can run the hard doors with the soft top so if you drive around in the winter that might keep you a little more toasty :D

Third, re: the carb. My suggestion would be to KEEP the stock carb and send it off to Jim C. for a rebuild. Someone here can tell you how you can get in touch with him (I think he goes by FJ40Jim on MUD) but from what I hear that is the way to go!! He can rebuild the carb for you to EXACTLY what you need. I have a weber carb on my '74 FJ40 and honestly wish I could go back to stock. The cost to do so would be prohibitive for me now though. Not many FJ40 owners suggest going to a weber over getting Jim C rebuilding the stock carb. He will rebuild the carb that should make the engine sing :)

If you insist on going the weber route, do some digging on all that is involved. It isn't just a matter of slapping the weber on there :(

Good luck with the sale of your other parts and search for what you need. I bet someone doing a SOA swap would love to have those stock springs.

P.S. Power steering and disk brakes are not going to be cheap...

MDH33
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Those look like pretty solid rust free parts. How does the rest of your rig look?

Would be a shame to modify a solid, rust free original...

If those were Rustic green I would be ALL Over Them!

Here's another vote for keeping the stock carb. Those early two barrels are good carbs and easy to rebuild.

corsair23
08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
P.P.S. If you do decide to go the weber route let me know what you want for the stock carb. I might just buy it to have so someday I can return to stock :)

nuclearlemon
08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
hardtops really don't garner much, especially the older tops. you're looking anywhere from $150-$300. depends on finding a buyer...lots of people do exactly what you're doing, so tops are plentiful and harder to sell.

the doors will usually go quickly from people denting them, or wanting to convert to half doors and the early doors are more desirablable for that. $200-$300 on the doors.

i'll jump on the keep the aisan and have it rebuilt bandwagon. i'll be doing that someday and getting rid of the weber. i'm not impressed with it.

check ih8mud on power steering and disc brake kits...there are a lot of great writeups, including one by our own romer that is step by step idiot proof instructions for mini truck power steering.

RicardoJM
08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't have much more to add from what has been said above other than to say welcome. :cheers: The doors and top look to be in very good shape, if you're not in need of cash I would recommend keeping them. You never know when you will want to put them back on. Regarding the carb, I understand it was once the norm to put a weber in but have yet to find anyone that is still driving these 40s who prefers the weber over the aisin.

I recently completed the front disc brake upgrade (including the full front service) and earlier this year did a fair amount of the full front service at the wheel bearing packing party. I suppose that qualifies me as being experienced, schedule allowing, I'd be up for lending a hand on your knuckle service.

Regarding the brake conversion, I'm glad I did it, but it was time consuming and pricey. If you really are set on going this direction, I would recommend holding off on the knuckle service as you basically do it again when you make the conversion to discs. Unless of course you want to do it twice - at least you can all yourself experienced. :D

Looking forward to meeting you at the next meeting. This club is a great group of people and I've really learned a bunch from the members.

lfd270ben
08-21-2008, 04:49 AM
you have a pm

SteveH
08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I recommend keeping the top and doors as long as you can - if/when you ever want them again (or the softtop proves impractical/theft prone), you'll be kicking yourself. I agree with Ige's thoughts on their value. Later hardtops are worth more and those doors are too nice to casually peddle off for almost any price, if your only other option is soft doors.

MDH33
08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I recommend keeping the top and doors as long as you can - if/when you ever want them again (or the softtop proves impractical/theft prone), you'll be kicking yourself. I agree with Ige's thoughts on their value. Later hardtops are worth more and those doors are too nice to casually peddle off for almost any price, if your only other option is soft doors.

x3 or 4 ;) Keep them in storage. As TreeRoot say's "factory hardtops are sexy". :D You'll want to put them on again at some point, or at least keep them with the cruiser for resale value... not that you would ever want to part with a 40. :thumb:

Azrael
08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
hardtops really don't garner much, especially the older tops. you're looking anywhere from $150-$300.

For $150, I'll take it off your hands. :thumb:

Mendocino
08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
I would consider the hard top and doors together. PM me if you don't have a buyer. I have cash.

daisydog34
08-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I have a complete front axle with lockrite and disc brake conversion that im selling for 300 you could take the whole thing and you gain your self a locker and disc brakes and spare parts for the cost of only one of the upgrades.

I also have a saginaw steering box (pwr steering conversion) with pump, pump bracket and hoses for sale as well for $100 all you would need after that is a couple of joints and a steering shaft

Let me know!

MDH33
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
40 out in Glenwood Springs, sounds interesting:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/807894130.html

:thumb:

kvanoort
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
PM sent about the leafs.