PDA

View Full Version : Durabak, Lava-liner, any others?

frontrange
08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm trying to decide what to paint the exterior of a FJ40 with. I may just stick with regular auto paint since at least it can be removed or painted over without issues, but I want to look at other options before I commit.

I got a couple of samples of Durabak, and I'm going to pass on that one. I've heard of Lava-Liner, but their web site is a mess and doesn't have samples. Anyone have experience with it?

Any other options I should consider? I'm using Line-X on the inside, but it's too thick, heavy and expensive for the outside panels.

Tch2fly
08-22-2008, 09:52 AM
U-Pol

I have not tried it personally but heard good things

TOTONKA
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I found You this, but let me get this straight. You wanna put this on the outside of your truck?

Sounds Neat, all OUR trucks are scratched to :eek: by bushes and debree

http://www.4x4review.com/products/body/bedliner.asp

PLEASE POST PICS, AS I AM VERY INTERESTED

frontrange
08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I had seen that review, but wasn't able to find much more on the lava-liner.

And yes, it's for the outside. The last time I painted it looked great for a while, but after using the truck in the brush for a couple of years it was pretty beat up. I was hoping to find something more flexible and chip resistant than automotive paint.

OTOH, redoing an ugly paint finish is easy, many of these coatings won't come off without a chemical dip, and I can't find anyone around here with those facilities anymore. The last thing I want to do is ruin an otherwise good tub and get left with a mess that will just smear under a sander or wire cup.

lfd270ben
08-22-2008, 02:39 PM
sanded and painted my whole fj40 with herculiner red two years ago and it is still bright red probably spent around 500$ for materials hides small dents great and doesn't scratch.