PDA

View Full Version : Scion tC - trying to help out little sister

PabloCruise
08-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Wondering if I can r&r to lower control arm on a 2006 Scion tC?

The story: my little sister contacted a curb and now the tire store is saying her front end is 3 degrees out of spec due to the passenger side control arm being taco'd.

I know, I know, if only she had a solid front axle, this conversation would not be happening!

They are also saying the control arm is 2 bills, will take 3 days to get in, and 4 hours to replace @ $100/hour.

So I am questioning 3 days to get in, and I have a problem blowing $100/hour at a tire shop.

I told her to give Oleg a call (she is in Denver) to get another perspective. Any other shop she should consider using?

Has anyone worked on one of these? Can I just replace this with a floor jack and impact wrench? If so, I'll call CDan and get one up here for the weekend (as my Cruisers softly cry away another weekend of neglect).

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share!

SteveH
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Likely there's some minor frame bending/damage due to the force put on the control arm during the curb hit. You need to get another estimate from a real frame shop and a better idea of what's really wrong. 4 hours to replace? C'mon. Another $50 for an alignment is a sure thing, too. On my aged Camry, I had to remove a cross-piece and the control arm mount before I could replace the control arm. On a lift, I could replace it in 20 minutes max, even with all the rest of the fiddling around. You may find some other 'stuff' attached to the control arm that will slow you down.

PabloCruise
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the response.

I am hoping Oleg can take a look at it, not sure about options in Denver...

Romer
08-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I bet Justin Morgan (Squishey here) who works at Burt Toyota could do some side work :D Plus you can get the parts cheaper with the club discount from Burt, Stevenson, Mtn States or Boulder Toyota.

For Burt, your name is on the roster. You call the order in and have her pick it up.

PabloCruise
08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Perfect - thanks for helping me piece together the connections. I miss all this being up north.

Squishy - what do you think?

Romer
08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Perfect - thanks for helping me piece together the connections. I miss all this being up north.

Squishy - what do you think?

He isn't on the board much, probably better to PM him. I am sure Oleg could fix it as well.

PabloCruise
08-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Got it - she had already called Oleg and he can get her up and running.

Still good to know about Squishy for future needs, as he might be closer to her than Aurora...

Thanks again Ken!

PabloCruise
06-18-2010, 05:46 PM
So I am very out of touch with the Denver scene these days...

Is Oleg still wrenching?
What about Squishy?
I know Robbie is on here and wrenches.

My little sister is moving to Maine (driving the Scion there) and just turned 90k miles. I want her to do her timing belt here in CO before she drives across country and just trying to figure out where to send her. She lives around Coors Field.

Any help is much appreciated!

corsair23
06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Sending you a PM :thumb:

PabloCruise
06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Jeff!