PDA

View Full Version : Snow Camping in August

rock_wagon
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
We spent a few days camping last week around the Gunnison Area we were suprised with a little snow!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2786178553_b3a5075c44_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2787136688_6e501f0385_b.jpg

subzali
08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow! Late snows this spring, early snows this fall! It's gonna be a long winter again!

MDH33
08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Looks like fun. :D

How did your ARB RTT do in the snow/cold temps?

JadeRunner
08-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Cool. Yea, that was quite the weekend for my buddies and I to decide to climb over the Sangre De Cristo range (near the Sand Dunes) with full packs to a remote lake to fish. Here is our camp Sunday morning at 13100 ft. I was trying to save weight and just took a tarp to sleep in. It stormed all weekend. Good fun.

Here are more pictures of our trip in case people are interested. I didn't post up initially since it wasn't 4x4 related.
http://community.webshots.com/album/565538734Thixdp

Red_Chili
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I was trying to save weight and just took a tarp to sleep in. It stormed all weekend. Good fun.

Scott's definition of fun apparently differs from mine in some respects...

:hill:

rock_wagon
08-28-2008, 02:18 PM
The RTT really performed like a champ, being off the ground in the cold temperatures I think is a real plus.

The real lesson learned is not to have too many adult beverages:beer: prior to getting into the tent for the night, climbing down an icy cold ladder with bare feet to use the bushes was not fun.

MDH33
08-28-2008, 02:39 PM
The RTT really performed like a champ, being off the ground in the cold temperatures I think is a real plus.

The real lesson learned is not to have too many adult beverages:beer: prior to getting into the tent for the night, climbing down an icy cold ladder with bare feet to use the bushes was not fun.

Red Chili and I were discussing the merits and drawbacks of RTT's at the ghost town run and he suggested rigging something up inside that vestibule to put your muddy shoes and keep them out of the tent but within reach. I thought this would be a great idea so on my last camp-out I attached a couple of carabiners with short lengths of cord to the pole in the vestibule and hung my shoes off them as I climbed in. Worked Great! I was able to sit with my feet hanging out the tent door and comfortably pop on my shoes then walk down the ladder to water the trees in middle of the night. :beer: :beer: :)

MDH33
08-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is our camp Sunday morning at 13100 ft. I was trying to save weight and just took a tarp to sleep in. It stormed all weekend. Good fun.

I would suggest next time you're going to be camping above treeline in the snow, leaving the beer at home to save weight and take a decent tent. ;)

Crash
08-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Will, how many differrent months have you seen it snow now, in Colorado? I got to twelve many, many moons ago and I wonder how many others can make the claim. Any other twelvers out there? I'm sure there must be many given how many rusty crustys we have in the club. :hill:
Scott, I was already aware that you are out there. Now I have a better idea of how really out there you are! Good job and the pics in the album are very cool. :thumb:

wesintl
08-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Old milk jug is the trick. use it hunting, camping etc. I never have to leave the stand or get out of the tent if I don't want to. :hill:

Uncle Ben
08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Old milk jug is the trick. use it hunting, camping etc. I never have to leave the stand or get out of the tent if I don't want to. :hill:

oooooo....last time I drink any homebrew of yours! :eek: http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Misc/puke.gif

subzali
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure I can count 12 as well Crash; but I'm lucky I got an early start with a Independence Day snow up in Estes Park when I was a youngin'

I resemble the tarp experience, as some may remember from CM'07

:hill:

Bruce Miller
08-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Have you RTT guys given any thought to packing and using a relief tube? Here's a golden opportunity for an entrepreneur to start up a new business. No need to worry about where you left your shoes at in the RTT. No need to climb down the ladder in the dark. Doesn't matter what the weather's like. Just use your relief tube. Better than an old milk jug!

subzali
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM
And for the ladies - Have we got a product for you! (http://www.freshette.com/)

:bolt:

rover67
08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
pretty sweet scott, looks beautifull

rock_wagon
08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Will, how many differrent months have you seen it snow now, in Colorado? I got to twelve many, many moons ago and I wonder how many others can make the claim. Any other twelvers out there? I'm sure there must be many given how many rusty crustys we have in the club. :hill:
Scott, I was already aware that you are out there. Now I have a better idea of how really out there you are! Good job and the pics in the album are very cool. :thumb:

I think this makes 12, this is my first snow in August, the last time I saw snow in July was about 13 years ago in the Flat Tops wilderness while backpacking.

Looks like Scott got a lot more snow then we did, yikes!

Red_Chili
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
If you pack an old milk jug, be sure to remember the screw on cap. Especially if you tend to toss and turn. And no it is not a DAMHIK. :lmao:

Rezarf
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Red Chili and I were discussing the merits and drawbacks of RTT's at the ghost town run and he suggested rigging something up inside that vestibule to put your muddy shoes and keep them out of the tent but within reach. I thought this would be a great idea so on my last camp-out I attached a couple of carabiners with short lengths of cord to the pole in the vestibule and hung my shoes off them as I climbed in. Worked Great! I was able to sit with my feet hanging out the tent door and comfortably pop on my shoes then walk down the ladder to water the trees in middle of the night. :beer: :beer: :)

Martin, I am riggin up a similar thing on ours, I am going to use one of the extra large stuff sacks laying around and hang it from the edge of the tent by the ladder for shoes... and I am going to zip-tie a carpet sample to the bottom of the ladder so we can clean up our shoes before climbing up and in the tent.

Wes' idea is spot on, I have a retired Nalgene for "calls in the night now."

:thumb: