PDA

View Full Version : FYI late run up Jenny creek

RockRunner
08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
We decided last minute to take up a run to Jenny creek. We will be leaving littleton around 11:15.

Two things; if anybody wants to meet us great. Look for a tan and blue 4runner, phone 303-829-0703

IF WE DO NOT POST HERE LATER TONIGHT WE GOT STUCK, XEND HELP!!!!! PLEASE :D

corsair23
08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
So did you get stuck??? Do we need to send help???

theboomboom
09-01-2008, 08:43 AM
ummmm, hello?

ttubb
09-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I am not familiar with Jenny Creek. Where exactly is it.
Has anyone heard from the folks yet??? Terry :confused:

Romer
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Jenny Creek is west of Boulder and is an pretty easy trail. It's one of the trails we adopted and the exit is at Yankee doodle lake.

Corbet
09-01-2008, 11:13 AM
He did not answer the phone number posted above, and has not logged back in since yesterday, so I'd say someone needs to go and check Jenny Creek.

RockRunner
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Guys, thanks for all your concern. Like an idiot I forgot to post up after we came home last night. It was late and I was in a miserable mood, after taking the wrong trail trail thanks to Traildamage.com

" You must follow the Rollins Pass East trail for awhile, so turn right off of 149 to start this trail. You will see the trail head for Jenny Creek on your right, which is Forest Service road 502.":mad:

The correct trail for Jenny Creek is 808 to the left!! So needless to say we went of on the wrong path. I know we went into some areas that we shouldn't have been in, I think at least. Anyway we got out of there late with a heavy rain and two wet dogs :rolleyes: Once home I was able to catch the last quarter of the CU game, sorry CSU fans, and crashed on the coach.

If I would have told my wife to remind me to post this would not have happened, I forget and she reminds me of eveerything and I mean everythiing :o. Only because Ken Romer called after all of your concerned posts did I remember again.

We both want to say a big thank you to all of you who worried about us and were ready to go on a search for us. THIS is what the club is all about, all of us looking out for each other.

Thanks again and sorry we had you all worried :(

ttubb
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Ken contacted him. Looks like he is OK. TT

ttubb
09-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks again and sorry we had you all worried :([/QUOTE]

Hey, just glad to hear you are fine! Terry

RockRunner
09-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks, just forgetfulness and being tired in combination with wanting to watch the CU game caused me to forget to post.

Red_Chili
09-02-2008, 07:16 AM
It actually doesn't become 808 until the creek crossing. Till then, it is 502. However that right turn takes you into some nasty stuff; IIRC it is not USFS land and therefore not signed. Haven't run the length of it. Rather try it on a motorcycle first, the mudhole (dry when I saw it) is in some tight brush.

treerootCO
09-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I argued the point that 502 leads people down a road that is not a road. All the books say 502 is Jenny Creek. This isn't the first thread that someone took the turn to the right down 502 and ran into trouble. Bill and the Forest Service told me I was wrong so 502 is a valid road and marked accordingly.

Red_Chili
09-02-2008, 09:07 AM
At the crossing of Jenny Creek, 502 actually turns right (east) and follows the creek for a bit before climbing up on the south facing side of the valley. 808 proceeds westerly to Yankee Doodle Lake. Technically, 808 is a 'trail' (hence, the '8' instead of '5'), and would not be open to full size vehicles. However, it has actually been a road for quite a long time - prior to the RAILROAD. If I understand correctly, it was part of the Boulder Wagon Road and was used to cross the Divide.

But whoever in the BRD designated the trail number apparently either didn't know that, or was trying to pull a quickie. In any event, the BRD concedes we are legal on 808.

RockRunner
09-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Either way it is very confusing, we went down 502 and I kept telling Sharon that there was NO WAY that Bill would take his truck through such a tight trail scratching up the sides and canvas all the way. We made the 502 loop and then took 808 up.

I feel it needs to be marked better since there is the Jenny Creek SKI TRAIL too, that is what we ran first. Oh well lesson learned, next time load the GPS with the complete map.

Thanks again for all who worried.

Red_Chili
09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Actually, I took the wife's truck down that... :lmao:
Mostly because the Chili was sans body at that point. Yeah, you gotta know that 502 turns east at the crick, whilst 808 is what you want to get to Yankee Doodle. 502 does get down to some pretty places to camp though. Some of that loop is what I want to GPS so we can try to get them in the MVUM.

They were numbered with the intent of closure, but were never closed due to funding... back when the BRD was on a closure rampage. As opposed to now? They make a good loop on an otherwise destinationless 4x4 route.

RockRunner
09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Sure take the wifes truck up :rolleyes: It was a nice place but...........we wnated the lake. I'll check my GPS and see if I still have the tracks, if so I will send them over.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I got lost up there last month, ended up doing Jenny Creek the wrong way...

Had to back up twice...

Now I am trying to load all the colroado trails on a GPS...

Red_Chili
09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Kewl...
You should post up the completed collection. I know they are all out there, but differ in quality and looking for them can be tedious.

RockRunner
09-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I will try to do that ASAP, cutting wood is our priority right now ;-) an ant must always work!