PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Questions

LETSROLL
09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi All,

I have a number of FJ40 Project questions I hope some of you can help me with in the parking lot before the meeting tonight.

I bought my 40 back in February and have "gotten to know it" over the summer. It's mostly stock and in good shape, but I'm thinking of taking it off the road this winter for a frame off restoration.

My questions are about fixing roof leaks, cowling leaks and if it's a good idea or not to do some armor coating on the underside of the rig.

I've been to one prior meeting, but haven't had the time to do a trail ride yet. I'd be interested in doing a fall trail ride that doesn't rough up my stock rig...

Thanks,

LETSROLL

Rezarf
09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, there is a gasket between the fiberglass and metal sides. I would start by looking at that seal and see what you've got. The cowl dumps through two tubes into the tranny hump and out the bottom of the rig. They are simple to repair, but nearly impossible to get your hands on them up under the dash.

As for the armor, do you want rock protection or rust protection?

Sounds like a fun winter! :D

subzali
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I and I'm sure several others will be there early - around 7. So yeah!

LETSROLL
09-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Mostly, I'm thinking of rust protection. The 40 is so stock, that I hate to modify it with skid plates and such and ruin its value. Because of that, it's not really going to be that great for some of the trails you all run.

RicardoJM
09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm sure I have many of the same questions (or very similar ones) about my 40. I'll shoot be there at 7:00 to participate in the Q&A. I'm pretty excited, this will be the first meeting that I drive my 40 to since getting it in December of last year.